Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USATF to name "Chief Of Sport Performance" tomorro

That's the fancy name for the guy USATF expects to vet athlete-competition schedules, etc.

Security must be pretty good; I don't know anybody who has even the vaguest hint of a rumor of who it might be. Does that point in the direction of somebody from completely outside the sport?

Comment

this part wasn't in the original post we made to the front page:

<<A new position at USATF, the Chief of Sport Performance will be responsible for overseeing all of USATF's High Performance and Sport Science programs, and will be the point person charged with achieving Logan's previously stated goal of 30 Team USA medals in track and field competition at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

Under the Chief of Sport Performance will be USATF's athlete development programs, USA team management, national relay management, elite athlete services, sport science programs, coaching education and management of meet officials. >>

So if the 30 medals goal isn't met, who gets the axe, him/her or Logan? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        <<A new position at USATF, the Chief of Sport Performance will be responsible for overseeing all of USATF's High Performance and Sport Science programs, and will be the point person charged with achieving Logan's previously stated goal of 30 Team USA medals in track and field competition at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
        What am I missing here? What exactly will he do and how will that achieve the 30 medals?

Comment

According to the Washington Post, it will be Benita Fitzgerald Mosley. Story now on front page.

Comment

Re: USATF to name &quot;Chief Of Sport Performance&quot; tom

Originally posted by gh
            That's the fancy name for the guy USATF expects to vet athlete-competition schedules, etc.
            Guy?

That'll learn U to assume gender. :roll:

K E N

K E N

Comment

By all accounts BFM has been delightfully competent everywhere she has served. And the sport serves itself well by being on the cutting edge of minority hiring.

I just wish it hadn't been such a predictable choice. Meaning her heavy USOC connection. The Colorado Springs gang's presence is now certainly very heavy in Indy.

Comment

Apart from her participation on the Project 30 Task Force, what involvement has she had in high level track & field during the past 25 years?

Comment

Directed USOC Training Centers 1997-2000..... that count?

Comment

Of course, they didn't want an "insider" (jury out on whether or not that was a good stance of course).

From the original Task Force Report, regards this position:

<<The Task Force believes there are several advantages to the GM being familiar with track & field but coming from a different athletic or professional arena.>>

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Of course, they didn't want an "insider" (jury out on whether or not that was a good stance of course).

From the original Task Force Report, regards this position:

<<The Task Force believes there are several advantages to the GM being familiar with track & field but coming from a different athletic or professional arena.>>
                      Of course, any self-respecting cynic must wonder about this. You don't suppose she might have put that in the Report with her candidacy for the position in mind. do you? :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Directed USOC Training Centers 1997-2000..... that count?
                        I am not criticizing BFM (I don't know her at all), but, no, I don't think that counts. Unless I'm mistaken, there was very little track & field presence at the USOC Training Centers at that time.

Comment

While I understand, somewhat, the need for an "outsider" the one huge credential I see lacking here--given that vetting competitive schedules is listed as high on the job title--is an understanding of what it's like to be a professional athlete on the European Circuit.

Yes, she was an Olympian and world-class performer, but in her hey-day the sport was still "amateur," with no GP Circuit. If she's gonna be charged with messing with athlete paydays, she needs to have a decent understanding of how their life works.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            While I understand, somewhat, the need for an "outsider" the one huge credential I see lacking here--given that vetting competitive schedules is listed as high on the job title--is an understanding of what it's like to be a professional athlete on the European Circuit.

Yes, she was an Olympian and world-class performer, but in her hey-day the sport was still "amateur," with no GP Circuit. If she's gonna be charged with messing with athlete paydays, she needs to have a decent understanding of how their life works.
                            My thoughts exactly.

Comment

If she is a good executive she'll take 6-12 months to ingest the system while making only minimal changes. Really she could feasibly take through the 2010 season since the US has no major meet in 2010. Then and only then make the necessary changes. I've seen this work well in a number of big $ situations. And normally the person who comes in and shakes things up immediately makes a huge mess, alienates the people he/she needs the most, and slows progress.

Slow down to speed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X