Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me, or does Travis Padgett have TERRIBLE form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me, or does Travis Padgett have TERRIBLE form?

I was watching the Doha meet on tv earlier today, and I couldn't help but notice how horrible his running style looked. I mean, it looked even worse than x-man's infamously horrible running style.

It sort of looks as though he is just race-walking super fast, like, as if he never has both of his feet off the ground at the same time. It looks ridiculous. I seriously have no clue how he is able to move so fast, with the running technique he uses.

Is this one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinds of things, or what? Seriously watching that almost made me gag. How the hell does someone even develop such an awful looking running style? It doesn't look natural at all. It looks like he is TRYING to use the most inefficient, short-strided, push backwards ridiculous form humanly possible, and yet he still accidentally runs fast.

What's the deal?

Oh, here's a youtube vid of his doha run btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7foYxTHoocg

I mean, seriously, doesn't it look just AWFUL???

Walter Dix has horrendous technique

Comment

Re: Is it just me, or does Travis Padgett have TERRIBLE form

Originally posted by The Atheist
      I was watching the Doha meet on tv earlier today, and I couldn't help but notice how horrible his running style looked. I mean, it looked even worse than x-man's infamously horrible running style.

It sort of looks as though he is just race-walking super fast, like, as if he never has both of his feet off the ground at the same time. It looks ridiculous. I seriously have no clue how he is able to move so fast, with the running technique he uses.

Is this one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinds of things, or what? Seriously watching that almost made me gag. How the hell does someone even develop such an awful looking running style? It doesn't look natural at all. It looks like he is TRYING to use the most inefficient, short-strided, push backwards ridiculous form humanly possible, and yet he still accidentally runs fast.

What's the deal?

It's not as bad as you are describing..LOL

If you look at the 1st video below, it's the same Doha race but a better view and also the 2nd video is from the Oly trials, his 9.89. In that Doha race his start wasn't the best for him, but he did close and have good maintenance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNuUtXqiAg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-2PpKB0pA
      on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Irish100m
        Walter Dix has horrendous technique
        Most of his mechanical flaws (and there were quite a few) were ironed out this past winter. I saw before and after videos from training sessions and he's much more efficient coming out of the blocks now. That's why I think he'll be a real force this summer (if he gets to run!!).

Comment

Looking at the video of Padgett it seems that he pushes his knee OUT more than others and not as far UP. As a result he touches down sooner and has a faster turnover. While the form is "different" I am not sure that it is "Bad".

Comment

Padgett's sprinting technique is not horrible, but it could be significantly better.

in his acceleration phase he looks good. his heal recovery is actually, excellent. in first 50-60 he's got tremendous heal recovery.

however, it's almost like he's overemphasizing that technical aspect, cuz from 60 -100 he starts sitting and dropping his center of gravity. this is limiting his impulsion: he's not getting as much umph out of each stride as he could. he's kind of shuffle stepping and sitting down in the bucket too much from about 60 onward.

if he could get stay more upright - from the ankles not the hips - and better knee drive, while maintaining good heal recovery (i.e. limiting his back kick), this guy drops a 9.80. boom.

also, he's got to become more relaxed at max velocity. he tightens up too much. more relaxation in the upper body and he'll have better speed maintenance over the 30 meters.

Walter Dix's mechanics are not terribly bad. You can see he is making progress with his mechanics. He does seem to execute his overall race phases really well, on the other hand. He hunches a little bit, which he could improve. he needs better sprinting posture, better alignment. if he does that he immediately gets half a tenth.

are these guys running at Reebok?

Comment

I might get flamed for this, but his first 60-70m reminds me a lot of Bob Hayes...

Comment

This is going to sound kind of crude, but I would say once he is out of his acceleration phase, so, basically the last 60 meters or so of his race, he looks like he is about to have a MASSIVE diahrrea, and he is doing everything in his power to complete the race, while holding it all in. That's seriously what it looks like. And I do NOT think that is an optimal style for ANYONE, in terms of being able to run as fast as you possibly can. In my opinion, it is a major flaw in his running style, and it is holding him back, timewise.

Comment

Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                  He hunches
                  When I saw him run his 19.69, I laughed out loud at that. He runs FURIOUSLY, when a distinctive churning motion and his head forward. You can spot him in any field.

Comment

Lol, I agree Dix's 19.69 run looked pretty hilariously hunched, even for him. I think he still does it, but not as dramatically as he did in that race.

They should get Michael Johnson, Travis Padgett, Walter Dix, and Xavier Carter all together in the same race. That would be the funniest looking thing ever. All of them going like 30498239048239048234 miles per hour while doing everything wrong. Hahaha.

Comment

... basically the last 60 meters or so of his race, he looks like he is about to have a MASSIVE diahrrea, and he is doing everything in his power to complete the race, while holding it all in. ...
                      Living in a place with an eponymous affliction (Bali Belly) that often necessitates precisely such a running style; I've probably broken the world best for the 25-meter dash to the lavatory—using exactly that technique—several times over.

Comment

Re: Is it just me, or does Travis Padgett have TERRIBLE form

What's the deal?

Are you sure you're looking at Padgett and not Frater? It sound like you just describe Frater form to me.
                        One Love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                          ... basically the last 60 meters or so of his race, he looks like he is about to have a MASSIVE diahrrea, and he is doing everything in his power to complete the race, while holding it all in. ...
                          Living in a place with an eponymous affliction (Bali Belly) that often necessitates precisely such a running style; I've probably broken the world best for the 25-meter dash to the lavatory—using exactly that technique—several times over.
                          :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Working...
                          X