Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world-leading 217-2 for Brown Trafton

Story now on front page.

metric is 66.19, 66.20 or 66.21; take your pick!

Cool ... world lead, better than her gold medal throw, and it's a personal best. Things are looking good for her in Berlin.

Comment

I wasn't at meet but wasn't many miles away and note that the story says it was windy. It was way windy where I was, suggesting that the throw might have had a little help. Her dead-air winner in Beijing was truly impressive though.

Comment

If no one minds I think I'm impressed by the 217-2 also.

Comment

I love it when a dark-horse winner follows it up with a big mark (windy or not).

Comment

Re: world-leading 217-2 for Brown Trafton

Originally posted by gh
            Story now on front page.

metric is 66.19, 66.20 or 66.21; take your pick!
            which is why the rest of the world uses a measurement that i accurate and make sense :P
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

This may be off-topic somewhat, but it is a woman thrower with a leading mark. In the Athletics Weekly recap of the Brazil meet on the front page here, they inexplicably informed us that Val Vili managed a 20-meter putt! Now that might impress Tiger Woods or fellow Kiwi Michael Campbell--and I'm glad she has a bit of leisure time to enjoy a day out on the links--but I'm not sure it's relevant to a Track and Field (athletics) article about a specific meet. I dunno.

Comment

Skeptic that I am I'll be properly impressed when she goes 63m. on a regular basis and wins some in Europe. She certainly has the tools to do so.

Comment

She had seven meets at 63m or better even before Beijing last year.

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                    This may be off-topic somewhat, but it is a woman thrower with a leading mark. In the Athletics Weekly recap of the Brazil meet on the front page here, they inexplicably informed us that Val Vili managed a 20-meter putt! Now that might impress Tiger Woods or fellow Kiwi Michael Campbell--and I'm glad she has a bit of leisure time to enjoy a day out on the links--but I'm not sure it's relevant to a Track and Field (athletics) article about a specific meet. I dunno.
                    You do know that you putt the shot, not throw it, right - hence the name? :wink: The comment had nothing to do with golf!

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      Yes, but 5 of those 7 were in Modesto, Salinas or Wailuku; noted wind tunnels all. And she was 0 for 3 in European meets.

This is not to pick on SBT: my original premise was to point out that in the discus, perhaps more than any other event, you can't just take marks at face value.

Comment

details:

DT: 1. Brown Trafton (Nik) 217-2 (66.21) PR (WL, AL) (3, 6 A) (205-9, 217-2, 213-2, 201-1, 209-10, f) (62.72, 66.21, 64.99, 61.30, 64.00, f);
                        2. Powell (Asics) 203-0 (61.87) (203-0, 201-5, 201-4, 199-3, 200-9, 191-5) (612.87, 61.41, 61.38, 650.73, 61.20, 58.34);
                        3. Gleeson (PBay) 179-2 (54.62).

Comment

This is not to pick on SBT: my original premise was to point out that in the discus, perhaps more than any other event, you can't just take marks at face value.
                          I completely understand what you are saying, but please do not assume that windy conditions automatically make for big throws. Throws in these conditions need to be appreciated in their own right, as throwing in windy conditions demands a specific set of skills. You don't just get in the ring and chuck it and miraculously gain 5-15%.

The thrower has to adjust the attack angles, control the front edge of the discus, and manage to keep the "outside" edge low all while turning at top speed. Even in a perfect wind, any deviation from a perfect release will cause the disc to turnover and die early. Very early.

Also, in order for a wind to be productive, it has to be at a small window of right quartering (for a rightie). A crosswind, head wind, or tail wind (insert fart joke here) are all detrimental. Despite common belief, many discus rings are not set up for taking advantage of prevailing winds.

This is why there will never be an asterisk or "wind aided" designation to discus throws. Winds (even good ones) are not like a 6mps tail wind for a 100m runner or long jumper... They do not automatically lead to better results.

Nice throw, Steph!

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                            But I think all of them were in USA. All I am saying is that I would reserve my opinion about where she stands in the World when she has a solid European season under her belt.

Comment

Originally posted by balzonia
                              [...
                              Also, in order for a wind to be productive, it has to be at a small window of right quartering (for a rightie). A crosswind, head wind, or tail wind (insert fart joke here) are all detrimental. Despite common belief, many discus rings are not set up for taking advantage of prevailing winds. ....
                              from the story cited to begin with:

<<After Powell-Roos opened at 203-0, Brown Trafton responded with her big throw. Though conditions were cool, the wind was mostly of the favorable variety for throwers, coming in from a quartering direction and serving to buffet the discs as they were propelled onto the FieldTurf surface of CSM's football field.

"Conditions were really incredible," Powell-Roos said. "The setup is gorgeous. I was blown away by the scenic beauty and the wind was really nice today - perfect for throwers.">>

Comment

Working...
                              X