X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pentathlete 2
    Listed beneath the standards on usatf's webpage:

Notes
    The Sport Committee Chair may adjust the standards, where necessary, forty-five days prior to the competition, based on received entries at that time. Therefore, early submission of an entry close to the standards is advised.
    USAT&F begins on June 24, so that 45 day window has closed. Men's 10K with 53 entries is bad, but NCAA East Region Women's 5K has 44 entries. Separate sections were run at the NCAA Indoor for the Men's DMR.

Separate sections would force top runners to run a fast pace.
    none

Comment

Originally posted by TrackCEO
      Originally posted by gh
      the standards in too many cases are ridiculously weak, not strong.
      Standards for men's and women's masters exhibition events, on the other hand, are too stiff.

Only one woman has entered the 1500 and five men in the 400.

Details:
      http://masterstrack.com/blog/005656.html

K E N

Oh Ken, you are just overreacting. It's too early. There are only a handful of people entered in any given event except a few distance events.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the revised HJ & TJ standards were not posted online by USATF until May 20. That was only 36 days before the TJ competition, and 39 days before the HJ competition.

Even though Chaplin claims that the standards "were raised 45 days before the Championships in accordance with the qualification protocol," USATF appears to have failed to post the new standards online in a timely fashion.

I would guess that most athletes get their information from the USATF Web site, and they were ill-served in this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
          Originally posted by Pentathlete 2
          Listed beneath the standards on usatf's webpage:

Notes
          The Sport Committee Chair may adjust the standards, where necessary, forty-five days prior to the competition, based on received entries at that time. Therefore, early submission of an entry close to the standards is advised.
          USAT&F begins on June 24, so that 45 day window has closed. Men's 10K with 53 entries is bad, but NCAA East Region Women's 5K has 44 entries. Separate sections were run at the NCAA Indoor for the Men's DMR.

Separate sections would force top runners to run a fast pace.
          I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't seed the heats--if needed--into fast and slow based on qualifying times. (meaning unlikely that the slow guys would end up near fast-guy pace anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't seed the heats--if needed--into fast and slow based on qualifying times. (meaning unlikely that the slow guys would end up near fast-guy pace anyway)
            Unlikely but not impossible, particularly if nobody in the seeded section sets a fast pace. Remember the 1980 USA Indoor Championships? The mile was split into a fast and slow section, and the winner of the "slow" section ended up as the champion because nobody wanted to set a fast pace in the "fast" section. As gh surely recalls, but others may not, the guy who ended up being the champion was a fellow named Masback.

Comment

An indoor mile has infinitely more margin for error than an outdoor 5K or 10K. The fast-heat guys will have many (and many-many) laps in which to adjust pace if it's needed. That wasn't an option at Madison Square Garden.

Comment

All this . . . and they moved the qualifying period dates (June 27, 2008 - June 21, 2009) so we could have an "A" standard athlete from 2008 not at the USA champs in 2009.

Comment

a devil's advocate question: if you haven't reached the requisite standard in almost a 12-month period, do you deserve to be in the Nationals?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    An indoor mile has infinitely more margin for error than an outdoor 5K or 10K. The fast-heat guys will have many (and many-many) laps in which to adjust pace if it's needed. That wasn't an option at Madison Square Garden.
                    Quite true.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      a devil's advocate question: if you haven't reached the requisite standard in almost a 12-month period, do you deserve to be in the Nationals?
                      Didn't they used to go back to January 1 of the previous year? I know the IAAF still does that. The qual period for the Berlin World Championships began January 1, 2008. The devil's advocate could ask the same question.

Comment

Let's put it this way: at Hayward Field if you didn't like your guy's pace after the first lap of the 10K and couldn't get his attention by waving, you could leave the stadium, run over to the student bookstore, buy a big chunk of construction paper and a Sharpie, craft a sign saying "PICK UP THE PACE" AND be back at trackside to wave it to him with a mile still left in the race :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Good question. But if folks care about those marginal athletes then yes. I work with a discus thrower who was 9th at her first US Nats (which were the trials). She moved back to Michigan from the ATL last fall. Few meets (for open athletes) and poor weather doomed her season. If she's in Eugene I could see her in the top-10 again, instead she'll be home.

But maybe US track & field isn't about a 57m discus thrower.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Yes, depending on the event. Does it make sense to force someone to run a fast 10,000 in May of 2009 to qualify for Nationals if they ran a fast one in May 2008?

Comment

Huh? Who said they had to run a fast* 10,000 a month before the nationals? They can run it anywhere in the preceding 11 months, including at the '08 OT.

* = in this day and age, you consider 29:01 to be a tough task for somebody with WC aspirations? 18 guys Qed at the alone, and that about makes for all the field anybody needs, let alone everybody who was added a the Stanfords, etc., from this year.

And I don't need to be a devil's ad. to make that assessment.

Comment

I see from USATF site that their was a posting as of 5/20.. I don't recall if these two codicils were in place before that:

<<7. The Men's 10,000m Run Event will be contested as a Final on Time. The number of Declared Entrants will dictate if timed Sections will be run. If Sections are run the Fastest athletes entered and declared will compete in the second section.

8. The Men's 5,000m Run Event will be contested as a Final on Time. The number of Declared Entrants will dictate if timed Sections will be run. If Sections are run the Fastest athletes entered and declared will compete in the second section.>>

Comment

Working...
                                X