X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    An indoor mile has infinitely more margin for error than an outdoor 5K or 10K. The fast-heat guys will have many (and many-many) laps in which to adjust pace if it's needed. That wasn't an option at Madison Square Garden.
    Quite true.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    a devil's advocate question: if you haven't reached the requisite standard in almost a 12-month period, do you deserve to be in the Nationals?

Leave a comment:

• NormZylstra
    replied
    All this . . . and they moved the qualifying period dates (June 27, 2008 - June 21, 2009) so we could have an "A" standard athlete from 2008 not at the USA champs in 2009.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    An indoor mile has infinitely more margin for error than an outdoor 5K or 10K. The fast-heat guys will have many (and many-many) laps in which to adjust pace if it's needed. That wasn't an option at Madison Square Garden.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't seed the heats--if needed--into fast and slow based on qualifying times. (meaning unlikely that the slow guys would end up near fast-guy pace anyway)
    Unlikely but not impossible, particularly if nobody in the seeded section sets a fast pace. Remember the 1980 USA Indoor Championships? The mile was split into a fast and slow section, and the winner of the "slow" section ended up as the champion because nobody wanted to set a fast pace in the "fast" section. As gh surely recalls, but others may not, the guy who ended up being the champion was a fellow named Masback.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Gleason
    Originally posted by Pentathlete 2
    Listed beneath the standards on usatf's webpage:

Notes
    The Sport Committee Chair may adjust the standards, where necessary, forty-five days prior to the competition, based on received entries at that time. Therefore, early submission of an entry close to the standards is advised.
    USAT&F begins on June 24, so that 45 day window has closed. Men's 10K with 53 entries is bad, but NCAA East Region Women's 5K has 44 entries. Separate sections were run at the NCAA Indoor for the Men's DMR.

Separate sections would force top runners to run a fast pace.
    I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't seed the heats--if needed--into fast and slow based on qualifying times. (meaning unlikely that the slow guys would end up near fast-guy pace anyway)

Leave a comment:

• Charley Shaffer
    replied
    As far as I can tell, the revised HJ & TJ standards were not posted online by USATF until May 20. That was only 36 days before the TJ competition, and 39 days before the HJ competition.

Even though Chaplin claims that the standards "were raised 45 days before the Championships in accordance with the qualification protocol," USATF appears to have failed to post the new standards online in a timely fashion.

I would guess that most athletes get their information from the USATF Web site, and they were ill-served in this matter.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by TrackCEO
    Originally posted by gh
    the standards in too many cases are ridiculously weak, not strong.
    Standards for men's and women's masters exhibition events, on the other hand, are too stiff.

Only one woman has entered the 1500 and five men in the 400.

Details:
    http://masterstrack.com/blog/005656.html

K E N

Oh Ken, you are just overreacting. It's too early. There are only a handful of people entered in any given event except a few distance events.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by Pentathlete 2
    Listed beneath the standards on usatf's webpage:

Notes
    The Sport Committee Chair may adjust the standards, where necessary, forty-five days prior to the competition, based on received entries at that time. Therefore, early submission of an entry close to the standards is advised.
    USAT&F begins on June 24, so that 45 day window has closed. Men's 10K with 53 entries is bad, but NCAA East Region Women's 5K has 44 entries. Separate sections were run at the NCAA Indoor for the Men's DMR.

Separate sections would force top runners to run a fast pace.

Leave a comment:

• TrackCEO
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    the standards in too many cases are ridiculously weak, not strong.
    Standards for men's and women's masters exhibition events, on the other hand, are too stiff.

Only one woman has entered the 1500 and five men in the 400.

Details:
    http://masterstrack.com/blog/005656.html

K E N

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by wineturtle
    3 section 5000m final w/about 17 per would yield break points about
    sub13:32
    sub13;41
    les autres

about 50 currently have the standard
    I'd be surprised if more than 25-30 entered.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    3 section 5000m final w/about 17 per would yield break points about
    sub13:32
    sub13;41
    les autres

about 50 currently have the standard

Leave a comment:

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    There should be a cap off...a finite number of entrants per event.
    I mos definitely agree with that.

I wouldn't want to lap-count 30+ entrants in a 10,000.... :shock:

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    There should be a cap off...a finite number of entrants per event.

Leave a comment:

• ndamix
    replied
    Play DA....

What about the fact that this is a national championship where only the best need qualify for a berth on a national team to compete @ meets like the WC or OG?

While it's nice to have full event fields, isn't it counterproductive to cater to a group of athletes that may not have a chance of actually making it on a national team?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X