• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wineturtle
    3 section 5000m final w/about 17 per would yield break points about
    sub13:32
    sub13;41
    les autres

about 50 currently have the standard
    I just noticed that Bernard Lagat is entered in the 800 with a time of 1:47.60. Of course, no one expects him to run 800 at Berlin IF he did make the team, but with the crowded 5000 field, I hope that he chooses 800.

I assume that his 800 time was enroute to his 1000 win at Gateshead on August 31, 2008 in 2:16.18 -- third fastest in US history.

All he must do is run an 800 heat to qualify for 1500 & 5000 at Berlin.
    none

Comment

Gleason, I'd hope he'd choose the 5.000m, because he has a lot on the line at that distance in Berlin. He's the defending champ. If the race goes out at an honest man's pace, Lagat will have a real race on his hands and perhaps a shot at the American record (if he doesn't achieve it in an earlier GP race). He mentioned following his Pre 3.000m victory that he was happy he won, because it was a boost for his confidence. I assume his confidence took a hit following a loss at 5.000m the week earlier in New York.

That said, I wouldn't suppose the 800m would be a confidence-builder at this stage in his career, because he's not going to get into the 1.43s, as he is not a 3.26-3.27 runner any more. It will be good base speed-work, but will be best served to help his kick in the 5.000m.

Comment

"EPelle" good points, as usual.

I don't want to get into another debate, so I'll make no further replies despite my respect for your views.
        none

Comment

Please do -- let's just not make it a 1-2 for the next thousand pages. I (always) respect your POV, though sometimes don't share it. So lay it on the line ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Please do -- let's just not make it a 1-2 for the next thousand pages. I (always) respect your POV, though sometimes don't share it. So lay it on the line ;-)
            Fair enough. This will be my final statement for the next two plus months. Here is my reasoning:

1. I appreciate this forum and the work that gh, Jon & Sieg do, so I don't want to overdo it. I worked at T&FN before they did, so I don't want to annoy them--especially gh.

2. Any defending WCh who has qualified for USAT&F in another event should try it because it is a CHAMPIONSHIP--not an invitational event. There are rounds, but no pacemakers. People such as Dave Wotttle in 1972 are examples of OG winners in the "wrong" event.

3. Conventional wisdom is usually wrong IMHO. For example, no one would have predicted that Tyson Gay would run two 400 PRs as a prelude to his 200 PR.

4. I don't know if Gay & Clement (400), Lagat (800) and Felix (400) will benefit by running those events at USAT&F. We won't know until after WCh regardless of their choice, but Wariner's running 200 there in 2006 & 2007 didn't hurt him.

I shall read replies from "EPelle" or any equally erudite poster, but I shall write my reply only after WCh.
            none

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
              Gleason, I'd hope he'd choose the 5.000m, because he has a lot on the line at that distance in Berlin. He's the defending champ. If the race goes out at an honest man's pace, Lagat will have a real race on his hands and perhaps a shot at the American record (if he doesn't achieve it in an earlier GP race). He mentioned following his Pre 3.000m victory that he was happy he won, because it was a boost for his confidence. I assume his confidence took a hit following a loss at 5.000m the week earlier in New York.

That said, I wouldn't suppose the 800m would be a confidence-builder at this stage in his career, because he's not going to get into the 1.43s, as he is not a 3.26-3.27 runner any more. It will be good base speed-work, but will be best served to help his kick in the 5.000m.
              I will have to think on this one, as you usually are spot-on, especially in distance topics. However, I would have thought that a championship 5000 would not be a likely spot for a AR because it will likely have some softer interludes (like the first XXX meters).

FOrgot my very important 'footnote': I will miss your postings, Gleason. Sometimes I will click on a topic because you are the most recent poster (as I do for gh and less often for a few, select others).

Comment

Time flies by entirely too quickly. I had 2003 in mind when six men broke 13.00 in that race (12.52,79 - 12.58,08) - the first time El G, Kipchoge and Bekele lined up against one another. The previous championship in Edmonton was won in 13.00,77. Four men broke 13.00 in 1999 (12.58,13 - 12.59,09).

Feels like they men are due again, especially after that unbelievably slow and tactical race in Osaka.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                  I will have to think on this one, as you usually are spot-on, especially in distance topics. However, I would have thought that a championship 5000 would not be a likely spot for a AR because it will likely have some softer interludes (like the first XXX meters).

FOrgot my very important 'footnote': I will miss your postings, Gleason. Sometimes I will click on a topic because you are the most recent poster (as I do for gh and less often for a few, select others).
                  I'm sorry for the ambiguity. I'm not going to do a "1 - 2 for a thousand pages" with "EPelle" on the subject of defending WCh runners running a different event until after WCh.

I shall comment on other topics.
                  none

Comment

You were well on your way before I interjected, so please feel free to continue. It will be interesting to see which of your theories works, actually.

Comment

Working...
                    X