Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo the hurdler

Texas A&M's Gabby Mayo came into the season with a 13.60 PR in the 100H.

12.99 in the prelims at the Midwest Regional.

Yowza.

Was she even that fast? Remember, though, she ws the No. 5 prep All-America as a junior, so it's not as if she's new to the barriers; just finally putting all that great speed to maximal use.

Comment

Nice. Many of us have been waiting for this to happen. Hope she stays injury free now!

Comment

What a talent and I love her name.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
          Many of us have been waiting for this to happen
          Me too, but I'm not going to get too excited just yet. After she ran 11.16/22.88 as a 17-year-old, I was expecting big things from her. And when I saw that she dabbled in the hurdles too, I was excited to see what such a speedy youngster could really do over the sticks.

Her recent 12.99 and 11.13 PRs are good, but they've been long overdue. Maybe injuries have slowed her down, but she seems to have had pretty full seasons in both 2007 and 2008. I'm assuming she is injury free now, but she is still frustratingly inconsistent - 11.3 one week, 11.1 the next, 11.4 the week after, followed by a 11.6, etc. Aside from her 11.13 PR in April and her 11.16 from 2006, she has no other sub-11.3 clockings! And she still hasn't come near the 22.88 she ran as a 17-year-old.

I know it sounds as though I'm being overly harsh on a youngster, but I've been following her progress for a good few years now and her performances are baffling and frustrating. Wouldn't surprise me if she ran 11.4 in the 100m flat at these championships.

Comment

After you saw her in person lose to Naimova by 0.14 at the World Juniors, you musta figured the Bulgarian was gonna run 9.9! :-)

Comment

Precisely! The sad thing is, Naimova was probably only a few dosages away from reaching that time :P

Comment

It is amazing to think back to that meet, 3 years ago in August and how many of the can't-miss superstars haven't panned out. (why age-group track can make you nuts)

The athlete who impressed me most at that point was Margus Hunt, but instead of being a shot/discus monster he's now toying with football at SMU?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  . . . how many of the can't-miss superstars haven't panned out. (why age-group track can make you nuts)
                  Never surprises me when great young athletes do not pan out. Everyone has a point where they peak out, some earlier in life, some later. Thus it has always been, and thus it will always be. Enjoy their time in the sun while it is shining . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                    Wouldn't surprise me if she ran 11.4 in the 100m flat at these championships.
                    11.22 (-0.3) to finish 4th today, along with 12.96PR for 2nd in the 100H.

Not bad, really. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                    X