Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track and field needs publicity surgery

Ever wonder why poker,snowboarding,and other events get more pub.Well alot of people would say that people are more interested in stuff like that,but the truth is USA track and field is not doing enough to sell the sport to the media.

And you have no idea what you're talking about, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Rough translation: I welcome your opinion here, but my experience leads me to draw a dissimilar opinion. Perhaps the reality of the matter is somewhere between us, though I'd venture to say that it might be closer to my position: we have done all we reasonably can do in the matter of publicizing T&F here in the USA, and it has largely fallen on deaf ears.

Comment

Re: Track and field needs publicity surgery

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
        ... but the truth is USA track and field is not doing enough to sell the sport to the media.
        As you tend to make wild assertions - this one falling in line with a number of others, can you please provide proof that USA T&F is not doing enough to sell the sport to the media? Which misses have USATF made? When were they? Was the sport for sale?

Comment

Re: Track and field needs publicity surgery

Originally posted by EPelle
          As you tend to make wild assertions - this one falling in line with a number of others, can you please provide proof that USA T&F is not doing enough to sell the sport to the media? Which misses have USATF made? When were they? Was the sport for sale?
          As one who has been chastised before for similar heretical beliefs, I give you Exhibit A:

High School T&F is not only alive and well, it has one of the highest participation rates of any HS sport. Same can be said of collegiate track. Wouldn't you think that's where our future fan base would come from? But . . . I have seen VERY LITTLE communication either from the state USATF organization, nor from the national one, to do ANYTHING to communicate the elite sport to these students. Nada - and I'm well enough plugged into the HS and college scene to know if a concerted effort were being made to entice them to become fans.

Soccer, on the other hand, is all over these kids, via the state Youth Soccer associations. They hype our national teams, the MLS - regional, state and local competitions are well advertised.

Because age-group T&F is weak, compared to soccer (club soccer is very strong), it is incumbent upon the state USATF associations (or the national office) to work with the state HS athletic associations, to publicize the sport to youth. It just ain't happening.

I do what I can as one team's coach, but I represent 100 out of the 27,000 HS T&F athletes in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            Originally posted by gh
            Rough translation: I welcome your opinion here, but my experience leads me to draw a dissimilar opinion. Perhaps the reality of the matter is somewhere between us, though I'd venture to say that it might be closer to my position: we have done all we reasonably can do in the matter of publicizing T&F here in the USA, and it has largely fallen on deaf ears.
            No, I believe the rough translation is: you have no idea what you're talking about, plain and simple.

Comment

Shouldn't the thread tiltle be... U.S. Track & Field needs publicity surgery?
              on the road

Comment

Yeah the Key word is idea something that Im seeing fewer and fewer people have..Ask 10 people at your job do they know who Alan Webb is,then come aND and talk to me.That is when you get one.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  No, I believe the rough translation is: you have no idea what you're talking about, plain and simple.
                  I'd be willing to simplify my version to, "I have no idea what you're talking about, plain and simple," but anything more than that places the speaker in the untenable position of being The Last Word, which is most assuredly NOT the purpose of this board. Certainly encouraging dissenting views is the cornerstone of a moderated board.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
                    Yeah the Key word is idea something that Im seeing fewer and fewer people have..Ask 10 people at your job do they know who Alan Webb is,then come aND and talk to me.That is when you get one.

I don't think Alan Webb knows who Alan Webb is these days.
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

If you have no idea then why even engage in the conversation in the first place.You are John Wooden and I am Kareem Abdul Jabbar;translation is you talk x and o and I have actually raced .Not to dis you,but all this back and forth hissy fighting is boring.Some of these people in this forum couldnt run a mile in under 8 minutes,but they can talk about logics all day,which is fine.Lets just know the difference between an athlete and a cheerleader.

Comment

Funny. Psst... do you know that guru trained a high school athlete who became a world champion and an Olympic champion a few years later? That same athlete also collected two world indoor champs medals.

Comment

Excellent,you are his agent now{LOL}He coached,which is who John Wooden was.

Comment

Your self-aggrandizing aside, what is factually inaccurate about my statement? Would the Alan Webb of 5 years ago have recognized the Alan Webb of the last 12 months?

No hissy fighting, just an observation. A legitimate one.
                            There are no strings on me

Comment

Heck, I have raced, too, ace, and you still have no idea what you're talking about.
                              Your specious argument that one must have DONE before one can COMMENT is laughable.

Comment

Working...
                              X