• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    No, I believe the rough translation is: you have no idea what you're talking about, plain and simple.
    I'd be willing to simplify my version to, "I have no idea what you're talking about, plain and simple," but anything more than that places the speaker in the untenable position of being The Last Word, which is most assuredly NOT the purpose of this board. Certainly encouraging dissenting views is the cornerstone of a moderated board.
    I agree.

Not sure why it wasnt before, but now that I've commented this will get locked for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Mighty Favog
    replied
    Wow. Looks like the main thing separating this discussion from one that would take place at Let's Run is superior writing skills. The nastiness level is comporable.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
    Yeah the Key word is idea something that Im seeing fewer and fewer people have..Ask 10 people at your job do they know who Alan Webb is,then come aND and talk to me.That is when you get one.
    They could not tell me the names of anyone in poker, etc., but they can tell me about a non-American sprinter.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian
    STLrunner I could care less about being banned{LOL}Unlike you I actually have a life and my own business.You on the otherhand need a girlfriend and a life because you keep stalking me.I was born and raised in the bronx,so do you think a petition reallyy moves me?I will start my own forum,and we will talk about you by your real name.You should just coment on my topic otherwise leave the tough talk to grownups.

Actually, saying you could care less means you really care a lot.

The term is "couldn't care less." Common mistake but destroys your point.
    Do you really want to count willjr's transgressions against the English language? That'd be a see of red.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    STLrunner I could care less about being banned{LOL}Unlike you I actually have a life and my own business.You on the otherhand need a girlfriend and a life because you keep stalking me.I was born and raised in the bronx,so do you think a petition reallyy moves me?I will start my own forum,and we will talk about you by your real name.You should just coment on my topic otherwise leave the tough talk to grownups.

Actually, saying you could care less means you really care a lot.

The term is "couldn't care less." Common mistake but destroys your point.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    Yet Kareem apparently still holds Coach Wooden in the highest regard and became arguably the best college player ever under his guidance. Why? [Followed by very good data]
    Great post. If willjr would simply offer rational thought and evidence in his posts like the one you provided in your excellent response, he'd be taken more seriously.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Im not here to be on board with a majority.Im a leader not a follower
    You have created your own niche, that is for certain...

Leave a comment:

• williamwindhamjr
    replied
    LOVETORUN someone calls me out of my name and Im suppose to say thats okay?You are the one that needs a reality check.All I do is try to dicuss track and someone always has a childish comments.Im not here to be on board with a majority.Im a leader not a follower which is why I chose to be a long distance runner instead of a football or basketball player.Lets just talk track and field shall we?

Leave a comment:

• BCBaroo
    replied
    The strange thing is, this thread actually discusses publicity without any name calling...

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=35603

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: Track and field needs publicity surgery

Originally posted by marknhj
    They chose to no longer watch track meets because they have many other options that are far more attractive to them. May not be pleasant for us to admit, but that is the reality, in my opinion.
    And with smaller crowds this will be even more of a problem. So does this mean UST&F is in the death spiral? Is it possible to plateau at a sustainable level?

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    Although that might be due to the disproportionate amount of Mexicans?
    A significant factor here, no doubt, but beyond that.

What some don't seem to have considered when touting the argument that there is a strong base of participation and support at HS and collegiate level, is the reason why those people do not become lifelong fans. And this is where the "we need better marketing" argument is a poor one.

Marketing essentially positions and educates it target audience. But those participants, and all their friends and families who come to watch them, know the sport , have had significant exposure to it, and have placed their bums on seats many times. They chose to no longer watch track meets because they have many other options that are far more attractive to them. May not be pleasant for us to admit, but that is the reality, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Originally posted by marknhj
    Any idea how many of these kids become soccer fans? That seems to be the crux of the argument. Just because they play/run does not transfer to bums on seats.
    From my experience in Southern California during the past twenty years, a significantly larger number than track participants who become track fans.
    Although that might be due to the disproportionate amount of Mexicans?

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Any idea how many of these kids become soccer fans? That seems to be the crux of the argument. Just because they play/run does not transfer to bums on seats.
    From my experience in Southern California during the past twenty years, a significantly larger number than track participants who become track fans. But it's really not comparing apples to apples. Football's local team, or famous foreign team, structure is a natural game to garner supporters. Track isn't, beyond us few fanatics. It's a crying shame that support has dwindled, but it is what it is. We'd better get used to it, in my opinion.

Whoever developed the AYSO bumper stickers seen on many cars is a first rate marketeer. PLAYSOCCER is a stroke of genius. But, all this talk about how it should be marketed better is, basically, coming from those who know nothing about marketing. Not that it will stop them of course...

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    Soccer, on the other hand, is all over these kids, via the state Youth Soccer associations. They hype our national teams, the MLS - regional, state and local competitions are well advertised.

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    William.... you need to keep your posts on this board to commenting on track and field....your inane comments about other posters is not only inappropriate but of bad taste and clearly out of harmony with the majority of posters on this board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X