Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EPelle
    Unless Wariner gets on up to Toronto. I missed this from the Toronto Star a couple of days back:

The Festival of Excellence is benefiting from Merritt's desire to expand his horizons. He told his agent he wanted to race at some meets this year that he'd never done before. He's never been to Canada, so this new track meet being organized by the University of Toronto definitely fit the bill.
    http://www.thestar.com/article/642363
    I hope that Wariner does meet Merritt sooner than August 21, but it doesn't look good.
    none

Comment

Originally posted by nbonaddio
      Live and in person, I thought Merritt looked comfortable. He didn't run a great race and he certainly didn't get out all that well, but he ran a great 200-300m interval and generally closed it down, IMHO. Quow was definitely gaining on him and certainly made a race of it, however.

Very disappointed Rock was DNS. I will forever be rooting for him, however. Not much else to note in the race. It was breezy, but not excessively so.
      It was not that close actually. Merrit really ran the second curve and Quow was behind coming into the home stretch. Merrit shut it down about 15 meters out and that's the only reason Quow gained ground. That was Quow's best race after the Olympics, where he ran 44.82.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
        Originally posted by trackdug
        What's interesting (to this point) is that Merritt and Wariner are pretty close in both races.

Merritt: 200m - 20.07 / 400m - 44.50
        Wariner: 200m - 20.30 / 400m - 44.66

Their first race against each other should be pretty fun to watch.
        That may not be until August 21. Merritt said that he plans to run more 200s and less 400s in 2009.
        We'll see what happens when some meet director decides to pay whatever those guys' agents are asking for the match-up.

Comment

If the wind was so strong down the back straight, why did the women's 1500, 5000, 400 & 800m all produce the fastest times in the world this year?
          The 1500 was not the fastest time in the world this year.

The wind was variable all afternoon. At times it seemed quite blustery, and at other times it was barely noticeable. The direction seemed to change, too, judging from the flags at the end of the stadium, although I don't remember any negative wind readings on the homestretch.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            If the wind was so strong down the back straight, why did the women's 1500, 5000, 400 & 800m all produce the fastest times in the world this year?
            The 1500 was not the fastest time in the world this year.

The wind was variable all afternoon. At times it seemed quite blustery, and at other times it was barely noticeable. The direction seemed to change, too, judging from the flags at the end of the stadium, although I don't remember any negative wind readings on the homestretch.
            The announcers said right after they ran the 1500 that it was the fastest time in the world. I think someone ran faster later the same day.

Comment

It was the previous day, Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by gcheves
                Originally posted by nbonaddio
                Live and in person, I thought Merritt looked comfortable. He didn't run a great race and he certainly didn't get out all that well, but he ran a great 200-300m interval and generally closed it down, IMHO. Quow was definitely gaining on him and certainly made a race of it, however.

Very disappointed Rock was DNS. I will forever be rooting for him, however. Not much else to note in the race. It was breezy, but not excessively so.
                It was not that close actually. Merrit really ran the second curve and Quow was behind coming into the home stretch. Merrit shut it down about 15 meters out and that's the only reason Quow gained ground. That was Quow's best race after the Olympics, where he ran 44.82.
                I think you should go look at the race again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FTvJvVSrKc

Quow was gaining ground all through the homestretch; in fact, it looks to me that Quow also shut it down about 10m from the finish. Merritt barely had a lead over the guy inside of him coming off the second turn and kicked it pretty hard down the homestretch until the last 30m or so. Not one of Lashawn's more impressive runs. It was also pretty obvious after the race that he was disappointed with the time.

Comment

Working...
                X