2009 Reebok GP: W-400m [Felix 50,50 From Behind]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Reebok GP: W-400m [Felix 50,50 From Behind]

17.42 EST - W-400m: WL - 50,75 Allyson Felix (USA)
    Entrants: Lloyd, Cox, Williams-Mills, Hargrove, Williams, Felix, Cunningham, Hastings

Felix 50.50, impressive finish

Comment

Felix ran down Olympic silver medalist to win. Tough last 100m following the wind. "Will see at the world championships." Gleason, smile.

Comment

Felix gets it in 50.50! Damn, but Shericka Williams ran her close. Felix only just snatched it from her! Great race between the two.

Still, not a lot so far to worry Richards, Ohu, Novelene, et al if she really is serious about a shot at the 400m title in Berlin.

Comment

Felix's 50,50 was the sixth-fastest time she has ever run and 0,03 faster than she ran two years ago to win.

Comment

Did anyone else find it hilarious that the tv crew was stupid enough to use the front-view camera angle for their "Moment of the meet" replay thing at the end of the meet, instead of the side view, defeating the whole purpose of the snippet, since you couldn't even see her making her final move from that angle? Lol wtf!!! Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Allyson still has a hitch in her stride

I watched her race repeatedly and I saw her head move vertically, as it did last year. I have never seen a world champion with this type of irregularity. Anyone else notice that she is not running as fluidly as two years ago and prior? I would think that if she really had a natural irregularity, like leg length, and she achieved success despite of it, she would just continue to train emphasizing results rather than perfect appearance. Still, it bothers me. I am one of her biggest fans, and live in LA, so have seen her mature and reach the top level. I would just like to know, as many posters here had noticed the same hitch last year, and wondered whether it was caused by injury. I don't think she could train and compete if injured, however.

Comment

I definitely saw the limp or hitch or whatever you want to call it today. It was very noticeable.

The thing that always worries me about it is that she doesn't always have it. For example, she didn't have any hitch at all in her 200m run at the Adidas meet in Carson a couple weeks ago.

So yea, I dunno what that is all about, but I don't like it. I hope it's just one of her ankles is sore or something, and not one of her hamstrings is tender or anything that causes it.

Comment

Allyson's hitch

If she has a congenital abnormality, it would have been noticed years ago, and decisions would have been made. But, as you pointed out, she looked fluid at Carson, so it' s a mystery. You would think she and her handlers would be fully aware of what us fans see regularly. It's a shame, because absent that hitch, I think she would dominate, as she did in the last Worlds, winning the 200m by one of the largest margins in history--almost "FloJoish" by margin of the win and her relaxed, amazing acceleration through the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    Felix ran down Olympic silver medalist to win. Tough last 100m following the wind. "Will see at the world championships." Gleason, smile.
                    Felix has a bye in the 200, skipped the WCh 100 in 2007, when she made the team, so the only logical choice at USAT&F is the 400. She has the fastest 400 time in the world and two of the three fastest 400 times of 2009, but she never has run three 400s in three days.

Wind can be a problem for a slender sprinter such as Felix is, but Berlin is a closed stadium, so no problem as long as Felix can defeat Richards, Hargrove or Hastings at USAT&F.

We'll see in four weeks.
                    none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                      Originally posted by EPelle
                      Felix has a bye in the 200, skipped the WCh 100 in 2007, when she made the team, so the only logical choice at USAT&F is the 400. She has the fastest 400 time in the world and two of the three fastest 400 times of 2009, but she never has run three 400s in three days.

Wind can be a problem for a slender sprinter such as Felix is, but Berlin is a closed stadium, so no problem as long as Felix can defeat Richards, Hargrove or Hastings at USAT&F.

We'll see in four weeks.
                      having the fastest time in the world, in may, doesn't really count does it ??
                      i deserve extra credit

Comment

No, but defeating an Olympic medalist at the distance does.

Comment

Competition in late May is somewhat limited

Allyson won over a field with four Jamaicans, one silver-medalist, but this is insufficient, I believe to draw any conclusions--yet. There are other top runners from nations with seasonal weather who don't train in So. Cal. or very temperate climates and might have completely different training requirements, esp. with a WC this year. I think at the top level, mastering peak training techniques is more important than winning early in the season. Our national selection process requires fitness and competitive excellence earlier than other nations, and Jamaican climate permits year-round outdoor training, so I wouldn't place too much importance on meet results yesterday, viewed from a global perspective.

To change the subject, did I fall asleep and miss the mens HH (Trammell 13.12) and mens 5K (Lagat loses close one in fast time) on the NBC broadcast?

Comment

Allyson ran the fastest time in the world, if she runs the 400m at worlds she will be a favorite, maybe not the favorite.

What's funny is if she would have lost yesterday the comments on here would be dogging her.

How many times must Allyson win and run world leading times, before she is considered one of the best 400m runners in the world?
                            on the road

Comment

Speedfirst--no diff. of opinion re: Felix's achievements

I am just saying that many of us noticed the "hitch" in her running, and that she has been inconsistent as to form, not necessarily her results. However, you never know what competitor will be at a peak for a major event planned a year in advance. The difference in training for a "major" and the Euro circuit (with tightly spaced meets) might be the fine line separating the world's best for a given final. Therefore this meet represents less to me than to others, but I'd rather see her win, I believe under control, rather than lose and chalk it up to "getting in shape." As of now, she's off to a great start and I wish her the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X