X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yung4evr
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    How many chapters have been written about Webb, can the book finally be closed?
    I believe he has about two years to make his mark again - this year (which is not looking particularly good thus far) and next. Yes, I know he's only 26 and should have many years ahead of him, but he should be at the zenith of his career right now and he's clearly not. Some athletes peak early in their careers and their bodies only give them a few years to perform at the top level. There are exceptions of course - case in point is Bernard Lagat who continues to enjoy a brilliant career well into his 30's. But they are just that - exceptions. It's very possible we may have seen the best of AW. But...........it's possible he may surprise us once again. We shall see.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    How many chapters have been written about Webb, can the book finally be closed?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Webb looks like a block of wood running. One of those old Wooden Indians would look less stiff.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    But the winner here looked even worse in his last race than AW did here. (end quote)

Manzano ran 3:55 mile last weekend in St. Louis.
    Yes, after his last two races, I'm guessing that he had a cold or something in Carson. He's obviously in very good shape.
    In addition, Manzano's poor race was one race. That is not the case with Webb, who's demonstrated the ability to come up with a virtual no show before.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    But the winner here looked even worse in his last race than AW did here. (end quote)

Yes, after his last two races, I'm guessing that he had a cold or something in Carson. He's obviously in very good shape.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    [quote="bad hammy"] Most all of us posting here really have no clue as to what is ever going on in the Webb camp... [quote]

Maybe he will start twittering...

Leave a comment:

• yung4evr
    replied
    I just don't see the fire in AW's eyes anymore - haven't seen it since his phenomenal '07. For the last two seasons, it looks like he's showing up for a 9-5 job that he doesn't enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    But the winner here looked even worse in his last race than AW did here.[/quote]

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    I agree with Kuha that Webb looked thick and over weight and sluggish...just nothing there. He's definitely not ready for a good 10,000m or anything else. I think it's not the same as manzano because he (manzano) didn't lose his confidence after Carson...but I feel like Webb's confidence has steadily waned over the last couple of years. I for one will be surprized to see him come back strong.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Manzano!!!

I knew Adidas was a fluke.

Looks like Manzano's win has turned into another Webb thread.

*Sigh*

Leave a comment:

• sprintblox
    replied
    Webb needs a new coach, or he'll just continue with great times at random occasions mixed in with a series of bad performances. Whoever his coach is, the program ain't working for Webb.

Leave a comment:

• williamwindhamjr
    replied
    Last year was a washup for webb and this year is starting to look like he is up to his old tricks again.When he started the outdoor season he looked like he might be on track,but after this race I dont know what the hell is going on.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Medal
    Webbs comeing along . . .
    Speaking of hyperbole alert!

There has rarely been a combination of such high expectations, occasional great results (time wise, not competition-wise), and yet so many perplexing races. Most all of us posting here really have no clue as to what is ever going on in the Webb camp, but from the outside in it has too many train-wreck moments for Webb to be taken seriously at this point. I know that most of us would wish otherwise, but reality keeps hitting us (and AW) in the face.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by yung4evr
    Originally posted by kuha
    Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
    Yep, Webb's problem isn't running 3:42 in May. There's plenty of time to peak for Berlin. Webb's problem is that he was the 5th US athlete in that race, with plenty of talent that wasn't in that race like Lagat et al.
    Webb's problem is that he looks thick, heavy, and slow. By about 300m, it seemed pretty clear that he was fighting just to hang on..
    Too much junk food?

Not a good start for this point in the season. I'm starting to wonder if AW really wants to be out there.
    But the winner here looked even worse in his last race than AW did here.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    I fail to see how Webb is coming along. He looked heavy and wasn't competitive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X