What a great Track Meet....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great Track Meet....

With all of our various deliberations regarding the demise of our sport, that was a great Track Meet......wonderful performances and competitions !

Re: What a great Track Meet....

Originally posted by rasb
    With all of our various deliberations regarding the demise of our sport, that was a great Track Meet......wonderful performances and competitions !
    Impossible - there were rabbits! :wink:

Comment

And (it's hard to say this!) a decent television presentation.

Comment

From watching this meet on TV, I'm convinced more than ever that NYRRC and the City of New York should put in a bid for Nats or Trials!

Looks like there's space for many more seats, plus a warmup track on the south side! (don't worry, the crazyhouse building is a ways away!)

Comment

Thanks to everyone on the board today (especially Epelle)! Great stuff and lots of good NCAA Regaionals action still coming.

Comment

Re: What a great Track Meet....

Originally posted by Marlow
            Impossible - there were rabbits! :wink:
            And only ONE men's field event!
            :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
              From watching this meet on TV, I'm convinced more than ever that NYRRC and the City of New York should put in a bid for Nats or Trials!

Looks like there's space for many more seats, plus a warmup track on the south side! (don't worry, the crazyhouse building is a ways away!)
              I thought it was very well done. A few minor complaints (concessions, some obstructed views from careless/opportunistic fans) but all in all, it was a great experience. The meet ran very quickly, the performances were outstanding, the fans were quite into it, it was easy to get to..

The athletes were warming up on a soccer field that was adjacent to the stadium, which I felt was very reasonable. But then again based on some of the barns and cinders I've run on, I have a low threshhold

Oh, and boo to AT&T - I was getting very weak signals, which precluded me from liveblogging from the event.

Comment

Isn't there more room on the north side?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  Isn't there more room on the north side?
                  There's a driving range on the north side. Don't wanna upset Tiger wannabes! But there still may be some space (track might be built east to west). Shoot, Randalls still has a bit of space for a warmup.

Warmup question. Does the warmup track HAVE to be 400m?

Comment

The warmup area can easily be accomplished with a grass field, and a sprint straight of 80 to 100 metres, 6 or so lanes.... Of course a grass field, that is usually a driving range, could be groomed to qualify, no problem.
                    And, not being familiar with the site, if the requirement is to add some seating, a very nice concrete/steel stand could be built it such a way that the driving range "stalls" will then be undercover when the stadium is not in use for major events. A little creative sports architecture could create a neat little dual use facility.

Comment

I just saw a youtube clip of the Boys 4x4. Reebok didn't just invite Jamaican schools....they brought up the cream of the crop (St. Jago, KC, C-Bar).

Reebok is obviously using Penn's business model. For example, I saw different ads for this meet on the NYC subways, and I saw only Jamaican athletes pictured. Add to that that a holiday weekend (Memorial Day), and this meet can only go up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JquOUIRqVs&NR=1

Comment

And, not being familiar with the site, if the requirement is to add some seating, a very nice concrete/steel stand could be built it such a way that the driving range "stalls" will then be undercover when the stadium is not in use for major events. A little creative sports architecture could create a neat little dual use facility.
                        The driving range is actually a few hundred yards away from the stadium itself, past the soccer field, a walkway area, and a miniature golf course.

The main thing that stops them from being able to put in more warmup space to the north of Icahn Stadium is the large grassy berm that runs up the backstretch and makes a large semi-circle around the soccer field just to the north of the track. These are the remnants of the previous stadium on the site (Downing Stadium).

The area directly to the west of Icahn Stadium, between the stadium and the river, which is currently used for picnicing, parking, and mixed recreation, might be able to hold a warmup facility. Part of that area was covered by the Cirque de Soliel tents this year, which came right up against the fence of one of the turns (and was hosting a performance at the same time as the meet). Barring that kind of obstruction, and if they can move the warmup area to somewhere other than the soccer field, they could probably put in more temporary stands at the ends of the track.

An overhead view of the stadium. Driving range in the upper left corner.
                        http://tinyurl.com/m8jq27

Comment

Originally posted by Al in NYC
                          The driving range is actually a few hundred yards away from the stadium itself, past the soccer field, a walkway area, and a miniature golf course.

The main thing that stops them from being able to put in more warmup space to the north of Icahn Stadium is the large grassy berm that runs up the backstretch and makes a large semi-circle around the soccer field just to the north of the track. These are the remnants of the previous stadium on the site (Downing Stadium).

The area directly to the west of Icahn Stadium, between the stadium and the river, which is currently used for picnicing, parking, and mixed recreation, might be able to hold a warmup facility. Part of that area was covered by the Cirque de Soliel tents this year, which came right up against the fence of one of the turns (and was hosting a performance at the same time as the meet). Barring that kind of obstruction, and if they can move the warmup area to somewhere other than the soccer field, they could probably put in more temporary stands at the ends of the track.

An overhead view of the stadium. Driving range in the upper left corner.
                          http://tinyurl.com/m8jq27
                          Thanks!

There are PLENTY of spots to put a warmup area. Question to Gary: how close to the stadium does the warmup area have to be? There's a big, unused space right in the bronx, right at the Bruckner toll road. It can be put there, with an artificial/temporary bridge to go right over the canal. There are plenty of creative ways to do this.

That berm (those trees), can be cut (I know, that was part of the design to make the park nice).

My goodness, had the folk who thought of this dreamed bigger, a 50K seat stadium could have been built on this site, and a great vision for a World Champs could have been in place!!!!!!!! (yeah, I know there are other requirements, but......).

Comment

And this should make everyone lick their lips in anticipation: based on the entry fields, Pre will be even better. (although it's hard to imagine an electrifying performance to match the 19.58)

Comment

There's a big, unused space right in the bronx, right at the Bruckner toll road. It can be put there, with an artificial/temporary bridge to go right over the canal. There are plenty of creative ways to do this.
                              The Bronx? How far would that be from Icahn? I don't think the athletes would be happy doing their final warmups and then having to take a 10-15 minute bus ride to get to the track.

Comment

Working...
                              X