Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al in NYC
    Originally posted by gh
    As for the no followup, the very next year there was a very good pro-level meet held in the very same Uniondale—including hyper-draws like Mo Greene & Marion Jones. Official attendance? 3184. Real attendance? Less.
    With almost no promotion. I totally forgot about that meet, since I actually didn't hear about it until after it happened and missed it entirely. Hell, I almost missed the '91 nationals at Downing (which were, indeed, a disorganized shambles) because there was so little publicity for it. One of the realities of the big city, as I know from my professional life, is that you do have to promote. But the potential returns are also greater because there's a much larger population to reach.
    I was at that meet in Uniondale a year later. The promotion was non existent, despite great times in a HEADWIND!!!!!!!!

As for Nats '91, so much was focused on the "organizational shambles". Add to it a then crumbling stadium housing more rats than you could shake some cheese at! I totally understand, for those reasons, not wanting to come back. But it's a different game, now!!!!!!

But what did I get from Randalls '91? That track was super-fast!!!!!!! People fail to remember that almost EVERY EVENT at "Rat Stadium" (oops, Randalls Isle) clocked "the fastest time in the world this year" (including a Leroy Burell WR 100)...........until Tokyo!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
      As for Nats '91, so much was focused on the "organizational shambles". Add to it a then crumbling stadium housing more rats than you could shake some cheese at! I totally understand, for those reasons, not wanting to come back. But it's a different game, now!!!!!!

But what did I get from Randalls '91? That track was super-fast!!!!!!! People fail to remember that almost EVERY EVENT at "Rat Stadium" (oops, Randalls Isle) clocked "the fastest time in the world this year" (including a Leroy Burell WR 100)...........until Tokyo!!!!!!!!!!
      Quite true. I often forget about how great the actual meet was at nationals in '91, because I was in Tokyo later that same summer (was there doing grad work, so why not stop in at the local meet?). That Burrell run was something else. And once the absolute mess of the first couple of days was over (anybody have a wind gauge?) it wasn't all that bad.

Despite Garry's little comment above (what other indoor track meet from that era is even still around?), part of the point is that NYC is a much different place than it was back in '91. Some of us may think it's gotten a bit too Disneyfied and yuppified, but it's also safer, cleaner, friendlier, newer, better run, and more user friendly than it was back then.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Originally posted by einnod23
        [....We've come a long way from 1991. ....
        Yes, Millrose attendance has dropped from just under 16,000 to just over 11,000 (with a lot of padding of kids tickets)
        Some legitimite reasons, right here.......

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... ose+armory

And here..............

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... ry&start=0

Also, there was a letter in T&FN around that time, where an old man "went to his last Milrose......after 60 years of attending!"

Comment

Back to my post above, I was wrong, Icahn holds more than 10K, attendance on Saturday (acording to eTN28) was 11127. I have no idea how full the stadium was, I was getting drizzled on at the San Diego HS sectional, so didn't see the telecast. That seating would probably work for a nationals. It seems like Carson in '05 didn't have that many butts in the seats. But for an OT, not even close. 20K would be the minimum, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
            Back to my post above, I was wrong, Icahn holds more than 10K, attendance on Saturday (acording to eTN28) was 11127. I have no idea how full the stadium was, I was getting drizzled on at the San Diego HS sectional, so didn't see the telecast. That seating would probably work for a nationals. It seems like Carson in '05 didn't have that many butts in the seats. But for an OT, not even close. 20K would be the minimum, IMO.
            Just trying to scale it off from the overhead view, there seems to be tons of room to build more temporary or permanent seating on that site, whether for a National or Trials, International Event, whatever... 20,000 looks easy, and more if required for a specific Meet.

Comment

When first built RandallsIslandSptsFed said 5000 for stadium proper then added 3000 westside temps and expanded to this set up this season. I fail to find an exact number for the current set up. 11xxx attendance seems a good fire department head count . Doubt they will see any more stadium $ until whole park is complete.
              The Event itself was done well, very well actually.
              Tom Hyland:
              "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                Originally posted by mike renfro
                Just trying to scale it off from the overhead view, there seems to be tons of room to build more temporary or permanent seating on that site, whether for a National or Trials, International Event, whatever... 20,000 looks easy, and more if required for a specific Meet.
                Hey, if they can get it up to 20K for an OT, I would go. I really like NY and can find things to do in the off time (Night at Toledo & Starry Night) just to do two museums would make the trip worthwhile. My problem with a trials at a small stadium is that I might get shut out on tix. I really love the OT, and since I will never go to another OG, it's my NBT. I will continue to attend WC so long as I breath (and have a bit of geld). It is priorities. Mine has been travel in conjunction with track meets for a lot of years.l

Comment

Working...
                X