Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A triple at nationals for Galen Rupp would be selfish

I heard that Alberto Salazar feels that if Galen did a triple,and sacrificed making the world team,that he would be fine with it.I respect Salzar as an athlete,and a coach,but for him to do that would be selfish on his coaches part.He tripled at the indoor nationals,led his team to victory at the xc nationals.I think he has more than payed for his scholarship!Its time for him to see what he can do at the world class level now.I guarantee you Germans coach wouldnt ask him to triple when the world trials is 2 weeks after nationals.

Is German even running the World Trials?

Comment

Salazar said Rupp will have a long career, but just one senior college season. The Ducks are bidding for the triple crown -- national championships in cross country, indoors and outdoors.

"I'll have plenty of chances down the road to chase individual titles," Rupp said. "This season it's all about winning three titles for the Ducks."
      This is an experience he will never be able to re-capture at any level of his remaining career. Ever.

Comment

Re: A triple at nationals for Galen Rupp would be selfish

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
        I heard that Alberto Salazar feels that if Galen did a triple,and sacrificed making the world team,that he would be fine with it.I respect Salzar as an athlete,and a coach,but for him to do that would be selfish on his coaches part.He tripled at the indoor nationals,led his team to victory at the xc nationals.I think he has more than payed for his scholarship!Its time for him to see what he can do at the world class level now.I guarantee you Germans coach wouldnt ask him to triple when the world trials is 2 weeks after nationals.
        In 1999 Geb won the 3000 and 1500 (including a heat) at the World Indoor Championships. Three world class races in three days.

Rupp would have to run five races in four days against U.S. college class runners. He could then run easily for a week, do one speed workout and be ready for U.S. class--not world class--competition at USAT&F.

I'm not advocating this triple, but his coaches know what they are doing, so I'll not criticize them regrdless of the outcome.
        none

Comment

Not to dispute what you are saying,but how often do the worlds and Olympics come around?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Salazar said Rupp will have a long career, but just one senior college season. The Ducks are bidding for the triple crown -- national championships in cross country, indoors and outdoors.

"I'll have plenty of chances down the road to chase individual titles," Rupp said. "This season it's all about winning three titles for the Ducks."
            This is an experience he will never be able to re-capture at any level of his remaining career. Ever.
            I agree. WC and OG will come around again for this young man and probably more than once.

I assume he would win the 10k pretty easily, the 5k is iffy, and he can get points in the 1500. It would be an amazing finale to his college career.

On the other hand, are any of these NCAA race records possible for Mr. Rupp?

Comment

Not to dispute what you are saying,but how often do the worlds and Olympics come around?
              Three out of every four years.

Rupp has placed 11th (Osaka) and 13th (Bejing), so his decisions are unlikely to cost medals for the U.S. He didn't run for Oregon's track team in 2008 & he lost two places at the global meet.
              none

Comment

Well still Worlds is Worlds and well the nationals are the nationals.Galen is a far differnt runner from his Olympic race.

Comment

Well still Worlds is Worlds and well the nationals are the nationals.Galen is a far differnt runner from his Olympic race.
                  I hope so, but he hasn't raced at the international level in 2009, so I hope that his college races help him to prepare.
                  none

Comment

Selfish? Track in college is a team sport first. If the coach asks you to do a quintuple (Curtis Beach, much?!), and you can do it, you do it. When the team wins, many, many athletes benefit, not just the one.

Comment

I agre,but there is a difference between being a team player,and sacrificing for the bigger picture.Galen Rupp will break the american record in the 10k.Can someone be on his team for a change?

Comment

Rupp's situation reminds me of Richard Thompson's last year when LSU was chasing a team title:
                        He only occasionally ran the 200 since coming to LSU, but added it to his repertoire in mid-April when Shaver brought it up. The only problem, Shaver said, was the Trinidad Olympic Trials start just six days after the NCAAs end.

“I was a bit skeptical about doing the 200 at the (NCAA), but only because of the Trials,” said Thompson, who leads the nation with a 9.93 in the 100 and ranks second in the 200 with a personal-best of 20.18. “But then, I thought this would be a real positive thing for the team.

“I wanted to do it because I’m definitely a team man. I wanted to do it for all coach Shaver and the program has done for me. I owe it to the program. I’m physically capable of doing both, so I’m ready to win the title.”

Shaver said the decision was strictly Thompson’s after he noted the Tigers had a shot at the title. After laying the NCAA schedule out, Shaver said it didn’t take long before he received a text message from his star sprinter.

“The message said, ‘Let’s go for the team title,’ ” Shaver said.
                        http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/19641114.html

And in Thompson's case, he got to have his cake and eat it too, since he still left Beijing with two Silver medals. Perhaps, the decision should be left up to Rupp and his family, since it is asking a bit much of an athlete two weeks before the USATF Championships.

Comment

I can't imagine there's any way Salazar (or anybody else for that matter) would consider Rupp tripling at NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                            Is German even running the World Trials?
                            last we were told, NCAA is it for the year.

Comment

Based on everything I've heard, it's not an either/or proposition.

Rupp will probably only run 2 events.
                              Oregon will probably win the title.
                              Rupp will be fine for USATF.
                              Everyone's happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X