Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dl
    I can't imagine there's any way Salazar (or anybody else for that matter) would consider Rupp tripling at NCAA's.
    How many rounds of 5k and 1,500 will there be at the NCAAs?

Assuming the following:

Two rounds of 1,500
    -one relatively easy
    -one fast enough to score points
    two rounds of 5,
    -one relatively easy
    -one fast enough to win.

1 10k
    -fast enough to win.

It sounds brutal, but how much worse than 4 days of heavy training would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
      Originally posted by dl
      I can't imagine there's any way Salazar (or anybody else for that matter) would consider Rupp tripling at NCAA's.
      How many rounds of 5k and 1,500 will there be at the NCAAs?
      Assuming the following:
      Two rounds of 1,500
      -one relatively easy
      -one fast enough to score points
      two rounds of 5,
      -one relatively easy
      -one fast enough to win.
      1 10k
      -fast enough to win.
      It sounds brutal, but how much worse than 4 days of heavy training would it be?
      I agree. He would have about 1 1/2 hours between 1500 heat and 10K final.
      none

Comment

If Galen wants to do a triple, then it is up to him. His team will benefit and if it truly what he wants to do, then it is his choice and no one else can say anything about it or how it will affect this year. His team is not a lock to win the overall, so if he wants to sacrifice himself for that cause, power to him. It is not selfish but selfless. This will be the only opportunity he will ever have to do this, if he wants to, so let him make up his mind and good luck to him regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
          If Galen wants to do a triple, then it is up to him. His team will benefit and if it truly what he wants to do, then it is his choice and no one else can say anything about it or how it will affect this year. His team is not a lock to win the overall, so if he wants to sacrifice himself for that cause, power to him. It is not selfish but selfless. This will be the only opportunity he will ever have to do this, if he wants to, so let him make up his mind and good luck to him regardless.
          IF Galen and his coaches want to do it, I see no problem. U.S. is weak at 10K, so a triple would be a good workout.

I thought that his DMR mile after the 5000 was harder than the outdoor triple. I don't expect him to win all three, but if he scores more than 20 points and makes the U.S. team--mission accomplished.
          none

Comment

Okay run in the nationals as a workout?

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
              U.S. is weak at 10K
              The problem is not the NCAAs, it's coming back to run another 10K in 2 weeks against these kinda guys:

27:36.99 Tim Nelson
              27:39.68 Anthony Famiglietti

27:16.99 Abdi Adbirahman
              27:46.33 Jorge Torres
              27:48.06 Scott Bauhs

Comment

Which is excactly why he should not be tripling in nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
                  It's not a matter of should or should not. It's a matter of whether his coach will ask him to, which apparently is 'no'. If Salazar WERE to ask, Rupp almost certainly gladly would.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
                    Based on everything I've heard, it's not an either/or proposition.

Rupp will probably only run 2 events.
                    Oregon will probably win the title.
                    Rupp will be fine for USATF.
                    Everyone's happy.
                    except the original poster.

Comment

Trivia question...

Who is the last Duck to win an NCAA 10,000 on the track?

Comment

One thing to remember is that he's already made a World Championships team and an Olympic team, and even if he makes the team this year, he's probably still a couple of years away from being a medal contender. However, he's never won a NCAA Outdoor team championship, which is the Holy Grail of college track and field athletes in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                          Trivia question...

Who is the last Duck to win an NCAA 10,000 on the track?
                          I don't think there's been a male winner.

Kathy Hayes won on the women's side.

Comment

Correct, Mark McMonigal ('86) and Rupp ('05, '07) have finished second for the men.

Kathy Hayes ('84) is the only Duck to win an NCAA 10,000 on the track.

The NCAA 10,000 tends to be somewhat tactical, with the meet record of 28:01 being run in 1979. I think the fastest American performance is Salazar's 28:06 third place in the same race.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
                              He should be doing what his heart tells him to do. He is a team player and if his heart is telling him that doing a triple and in so doing helping his team win the title is more important to him than the USATF and Worlds, then that is the right choice for him.

Its not for us to prioritize for him based on what we would do.

He has the rest of his life to run internationally, but only one chance left to do something that is rare, and, pretty important to him now.

Go Galen!

Comment

In an interview last week, Coach Lanana specifically said that just because an athlete was entered in a Regional event, it didn't necessarily mean that the athlete would compete in the same event in Fayetteville. I think Rupp will be seriously damaging his chances for a victory in the 10,000 by running the 1500 heat so close to his 10,000 final. I wonder if he'll try to qualify in the 1500 and hope for a very slow pace; if the pace proves too fast, he could jog it in and save energy for his main event.

Here's Lanana's interview, in case anyone is interested: http://www.goducks.com/newMediaPlayer/c ... B_MENU_ID=

Comment

Working...
                                X