Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A triple at nationals for Galen Rupp would be selfish

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    If the honest effort rule still exists, he should avoid your recommendation for the 1500 heat as it could DQ him from the rest of the meet.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by ed gee
      If the honest effort rule still exists, he should avoid your recommendation for the 1500 heat as it could DQ him from the rest of the meet.
      As long as he finishes the race, I don't see him getting DQ'd for the rest of the meet.

      Comment


      • #33
        Never underestimate NCAA coaches's ability to do whatever it takes to do better by their people.

        At the '67 NCAA Bowerman misread the time schedule and forgot to scratch Roscoe Divine from the 880, which came to close after the mile, particularly in Provo. Bowerman's plea to allow him to be removed after declarations was denied.

        So Divine (who would go on to take 2nd in the mile) Qed in the mile, then ran a 2:22 in the 880. A group of coaches signed a petition to have him DQed on the honest-effort rule. Meet referee Brutus Hamilton denied the petition.

        Comment


        • #34
          Yes, but you can't count on that happening again. Brutus Hamilton is not going to be the referee this iyear.

          Comment


          • #35
            Case closed - 5 and 10 it is.

            Comment


            • #36
              I'm guessing that Rupp will second guess the decision not to go for the triple for a long time. A seventh place finish in the 1500 would have made Oregon co-champions, and sixth place would have won the championship outright.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                I'm guessing that Rupp will second guess the decision not to go for the triple for a long time. A seventh place finish in the 1500 would have made Oregon co-champions, and sixth place would have won the championship outright.
                You're making the assumption that he still would have won the 5000 and 10000; given the heavy workload of a couple of extra races, it's possible he would have scored something less than the 20 points he accumulated in the first two races. Guess we'll never know.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by bruce3404
                  Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  I'm guessing that Rupp will second guess the decision not to go for the triple for a long time. A seventh place finish in the 1500 would have made Oregon co-champions, and sixth place would have won the championship outright.
                  You're making the assumption that he still would have won the 5000 and 10000; given the heavy workload of a couple of extra races, it's possible he would have scored something less than the 20 points he accumulated in the first two races. Guess we'll never know.
                  Given how those played out, I think he would have made it. However, ex ante it was a big question and a clear answer not to do it until Centro got hurt, which must have led to some additional considerations in the matter.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by 26mi235
                    Given how those played out, I think he would have made it. However, ex ante it was a big question and a clear answer not to do it until Centro got hurt, which must have led to some additional considerations in the matter.
                    I agree. His calm behavior when his shoe was partly removed showed amazing composure. I think that he could have added a 1500 second to his 10K/5K wins then win the USAT&F 10K with ease.

                    However, I don't blame his coaches for dropping the 1500. We'll know in three days how strong he is.
                    none

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      One key missing here is that Rupp stated afterward that he was quite tired before the 5.000m final.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by EPelle
                        One key missing here is that Rupp stated afterward that he was quite tired before the 5.000m final.
                        Yes, but the competition was lot more tired after the final. 8-)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X