X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    One key missing here is that Rupp stated afterward that he was quite tired before the 5.000m final.
    Yes, but the competition was lot more tired after the final. 8-)

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    One key missing here is that Rupp stated afterward that he was quite tired before the 5.000m final.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Given how those played out, I think he would have made it. However, ex ante it was a big question and a clear answer not to do it until Centro got hurt, which must have led to some additional considerations in the matter.
    I agree. His calm behavior when his shoe was partly removed showed amazing composure. I think that he could have added a 1500 second to his 10K/5K wins then win the USAT&F 10K with ease.

However, I don't blame his coaches for dropping the 1500. We'll know in three days how strong he is.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by bruce3404
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I'm guessing that Rupp will second guess the decision not to go for the triple for a long time. A seventh place finish in the 1500 would have made Oregon co-champions, and sixth place would have won the championship outright.
    You're making the assumption that he still would have won the 5000 and 10000; given the heavy workload of a couple of extra races, it's possible he would have scored something less than the 20 points he accumulated in the first two races. Guess we'll never know.
    Given how those played out, I think he would have made it. However, ex ante it was a big question and a clear answer not to do it until Centro got hurt, which must have led to some additional considerations in the matter.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I'm guessing that Rupp will second guess the decision not to go for the triple for a long time. A seventh place finish in the 1500 would have made Oregon co-champions, and sixth place would have won the championship outright.
    You're making the assumption that he still would have won the 5000 and 10000; given the heavy workload of a couple of extra races, it's possible he would have scored something less than the 20 points he accumulated in the first two races. Guess we'll never know.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Case closed - 5 and 10 it is.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Yes, but you can't count on that happening again. Brutus Hamilton is not going to be the referee this iyear.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Never underestimate NCAA coaches's ability to do whatever it takes to do better by their people.

At the '67 NCAA Bowerman misread the time schedule and forgot to scratch Roscoe Divine from the 880, which came to close after the mile, particularly in Provo. Bowerman's plea to allow him to be removed after declarations was denied.

So Divine (who would go on to take 2nd in the mile) Qed in the mile, then ran a 2:22 in the 880. A group of coaches signed a petition to have him DQed on the honest-effort rule. Meet referee Brutus Hamilton denied the petition.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by ed gee
    If the honest effort rule still exists, he should avoid your recommendation for the 1500 heat as it could DQ him from the rest of the meet.
    As long as he finishes the race, I don't see him getting DQ'd for the rest of the meet.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied
    If the honest effort rule still exists, he should avoid your recommendation for the 1500 heat as it could DQ him from the rest of the meet.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    In an interview last week, Coach Lanana specifically said that just because an athlete was entered in a Regional event, it didn't necessarily mean that the athlete would compete in the same event in Fayetteville. I think Rupp will be seriously damaging his chances for a victory in the 10,000 by running the 1500 heat so close to his 10,000 final. I wonder if he'll try to qualify in the 1500 and hope for a very slow pace; if the pace proves too fast, he could jog it in and save energy for his main event.

Here's Lanana's interview, in case anyone is interested: http://www.goducks.com/newMediaPlayer/c ... B_MENU_ID=

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
    Which is excactly why he should not be tripling in nationals.
    He should be doing what his heart tells him to do. He is a team player and if his heart is telling him that doing a triple and in so doing helping his team win the title is more important to him than the USATF and Worlds, then that is the right choice for him.

Its not for us to prioritize for him based on what we would do.

He has the rest of his life to run internationally, but only one chance left to do something that is rare, and, pretty important to him now.

Go Galen!

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied
    Correct, Mark McMonigal ('86) and Rupp ('05, '07) have finished second for the men.

Kathy Hayes ('84) is the only Duck to win an NCAA 10,000 on the track.

The NCAA 10,000 tends to be somewhat tactical, with the meet record of 28:01 being run in 1979. I think the fastest American performance is Salazar's 28:06 third place in the same race.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by ed gee
    Trivia question...

Who is the last Duck to win an NCAA 10,000 on the track?
    I don't think there's been a male winner.

Kathy Hayes won on the women's side.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X