Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webb's new approach is to cut back on everything.

When he runs too much and at longer distances, Webb tends to lose some of his speed, his feel for the mile. To keep his edge this season, he cut back his mileage to a manageable 70 per week and his dropped his high-intensity running from 10,000 meters to 8,000 per workout.
    "It's kind of a catch 22 because it's what makes me good, I think, but it also can cause me to have setbacks because I go too far," he said. "I guess I'm still kind of maturing and learning how to do it."
    http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/webbwows

Comment

Re: Seriously, what is up with Alan Webb?

Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
      I was at Reebok yesterday. Seriously, what is going on with Alan Webb? I submit that this guy needs a new coach and a change of atmospere, new location, etc. Something is seriously not working for a guy with so much raw talent.

I wrote on this previously:

But Webb needs a different coach. The biggest role of a coach is to balance the training schedule and thereby provide stability. Razsco hasn't done this. Webb needs a coach who already KNOWS, not one who is still learning along with him. Raszco may become a great coach someday, but it will come after Webb is finished.

[Ironically, Wariner got rid of a coaching situation that was working while Webb stays in one that isn't.]

Webb: move to Eugene, be coached by Lananna and eventually move up to the 5,000m.

Well, at least Wariner realized time is short and athletics careers are fleeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Run DMC
        Is it possible he was sick? This race was bad even by the standard of his results from THIS year. He has broken 4min and won some races. He was never even in the picture for this one and ~4:00mi pace.
        I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw his race live. He just looked flat from the very beginning making me think he either was 1. injured/had to take time off for an injury (achilles problem from indoors not going away?) or 2. in the middle of a big training cycle and his legs were not recovered. But anyway, he was very different runner from the more aggressive, comfortable one at the Drake Relays a month earlier.

Comment

There is nothin up with Webb, he is doin what he has always done and will continue to do.
          phsstt!

Comment

Webb looks like he's trying to compete in a body building competition....he appears to be much too big for what he normally is...

Comment

Jokers been asking this question for 8 years.

He is what he is.
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                Jokers been asking this question for 8 years.

He is what he is.
                Co-sign.....end of chapter, and the book may be closing very shortly as well.
                on the road

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  Webb's new approach is to cut back on everything.

When he runs too much and at longer distances, Webb tends to lose some of his speed, his feel for the mile. To keep his edge this season, he cut back his mileage to a manageable 70 per week and his dropped his high-intensity running from 10,000 meters to 8,000 per workout.
                  [quote:2swoon6y]"It's kind of a catch 22 because it's what makes me good, I think, but it also can cause me to have setbacks because I go too far," he said. "I guess I'm still kind of maturing and learning how to do it."
                  [/quote:2swoon6y]
                  http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/webbwows[/quote

I'm afraid AW's career is going to end up being one big experiment.

Comment

Related question:
                    What the heck happened to Lukezic?

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                      There is nothin up with Webb, he is doin what he has always done and will continue to do.
                      Be overhyped and underachieve?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                        Hard to overhype the US and HS mile record holder, a guy who has run 1:43.8 800s to 27:35 10ks. Now the underachieving bit?? That is another story . . .

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
                          Originally posted by "Cooter Brown":rcd5gsel
                          Hard to overhype the US and HS mile record holder, a guy who has run 1:43.8 800s to 27:35 10ks. Now the underachieving bit?? That is another story . . .[/quote:rcd5gsel]

And a 3:46 mile PR makes him time wise as good as any 1500m runner running today on this planet we call Earth.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                            I think his T&FN covers should be vacated. This guy is a pipe dream for US mid-distance fans.
                            Unnecessarily mean-spirited here. As mentioned elsewhere, his struggles since 2007 shouldn't detract from how impressive he was that year (and in 2005). 1:43 to 27:34 is some stout stuff, no matter the championship record.

Cheering world medalists seems a fairly cowardly way to be a fan.

Comment

[quote=SQUACKEE]
                              Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Originally posted by "Cooter Brown":1j6hoqfw
                              Hard to overhype the US and HS mile record holder, a guy who has run 1:43.8 800s to 27:35 10ks. Now the underachieving bit?? That is another story . . .
                              And a 3:46 mile PR makes him time wise as good as any 1500m runner running today on this planet we call Earth.[/quote:1j6hoqfw]

Squackee and bad hammy make good points about AW's impressive times and range. Another way of looking at AW's 1500/mile times is to see where he ranks in the post-El G era (2005-present). In these 4+ seasons post-El G, times are of course not as fast as during the El G era (and the Morceli era). Looking at the annual lists, AW is #3 at 1500m in these 4+ seasons (I am leaving Ramzi out of this):

Daniel K. Komen 3:29.02 (2006)
                              Bernard Lagat 3:29:30 (2005)
                              Webb 3:30.54 (2007)

and is the fastest miler of these 4+ seasons (and one of only two under 3:48 in this period).

I realize what all of these athletes are pursuing is difficult to achieve at the highest levels, and that championship level performances and some consistency over some period of time are significant measures of greatness. Webb's moments of brilliance in this event suggest that he could (have) be(en) one of the dominant 1500/mile men of this period. As stated earlier, and by others, I wish him the best (and have no idea what he might need to do to reach his previous levels of excellence, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                                Hard to overhype the US and HS mile record holder...
                                Yet somehow people manage to achieve it time and time again!

Comment

Working...
                                X