Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Hard to overhype the US and HS mile record holder...
    Yet somehow people manage to achieve it time and time again!
    I think those days may be over or greatly diminished. I feel sorry for Webb and i know some track fans will be angry towards me for saying it but thats how i feel.
    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
      Originally posted by BillVol
      I think his T&FN covers should be vacated. This guy is a pipe dream for US mid-distance fans.
      Unnecessarily mean-spirited here. As mentioned elsewhere, his struggles since 2007 shouldn't detract from how impressive he was that year (and in 2005). 1:43 to 27:34 is some stout stuff, no matter the championship record.

Cheering world medalists seems a fairly cowardly way to be a fan.
      People want to see an American born miler and have put so much hope into Alan that they have become disenchanted at the inconsistencies. He has had some remarkable achievements in his career. Those achievements have spawned hopes and expectations in many fans that has left huge disappointment when he has been unable to meet them.

Fortunately, there are some young talents, such as Rupp and Fernandez that are starting to make people forget the hopes placed in Webb.

I hope Webb can salvage the rest of his career, but, I am starting to believe it is not gonna happen. His body could recover from the overtraining when he was younger but is probably having a much more difficult time with it at his current age. He needs some wholesale changes.

Comment

Hope Webb can salvage the rest of his career?? Are you serious? He has done more for US distance running than any US born runner in the last 20 years. He is not the only US runner with no medal...........hell no one who runs at 800 or beyond has one (well Bernard Lagat).

Check the kids stats, if he quit track today, he'd be a legend in US distance.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
          Hope Webb can salvage the rest of his career?? Are you serious? He has done more for US distance running than any US born runner in the last 20 years. He is not the only US runner with no medal...........hell no one who runs at 800 or beyond has one (well Bernard Lagat).

Unless you haven't been watching lately, he has not run at "legend" level since 2007. He has also not performed well in major international meets, the reasons for which have been debated time and again on these boards. Salvaging the REST of his career means getting back to that high level we all want him to be at, while he still has a chance, and, getting over to the next level on the biggest stages. I think the choice of words was appropriate and I am sure there are many posters who would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan

Unless you haven't been watching lately, he has not run at "legend" level since 2007. He has also not performed well in major international meets, the reasons for which have been debated time and again on these boards. Salvaging the REST of his career means getting back to that high level we all want him to be at, while he still has a chance, and, getting over to the next level on the biggest stages. I think the choice of words was appropriate and I am sure there are many posters who would agree.
            Doesn't matter, if he retired today, people are not going to talk about him running 4:00, they are going to talk about him running 3:46 or 1:43 or 27:35.

He has nothing to salvage, what he has done US born runners can only dream about. He isnt even 27 yet, its WAY premature to write him off. He has been more successful than ANY US runner in the last 20 years. Unless you can name me someone in the last generation better? If you can maybe he can salvage his career to that level.

Comment

"Check the kids stats, if he quit track today, he'd be a legend in US distance."

No he wouldn't. If he quit today, he'd be remembered as a guy with terrific talent and potential, who ran some world-class times but who left the sport 10 years early and never achieved what he could have.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                I agree with all of that. I hope he can do it, but as you point out, it's been a while since we've seen good indications that he will.

Comment

What's wrong with Steve Scott? All this overhype, and all he has to show for it is a 3:47 and a Helsinki silver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hope, expectations, here is the word that is missing in the equation...RESULTS.

We are talking the type of results that equate to medals in major meets, against the best in the world, not just the best in America.

Webb has fallen short of those types of results, let's not kid ourselves into thinking he hasn't. Until he can obtain those types of results, the reasons why he hasn't, don't and won't really matter.

Al Davis stated this, if you don't win the Super Bowl, then you finished tied for last.
                    on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                      Al Davis stated this, if you don't win the Super Bowl, then you finished tied for last.
                      That's a tad hyperbolic, but I am confident that AW has not been happy with his results in major international championships, and am also confident that his fans were hoping for better.

Comment

That's a tad hyperbolic, but I am confident that AW has not been happy with his results in major international championships, and am also confident that his fans were hoping for better.
                        Not really, point being why should we talk about Webb or anyone else in the same vain as a world and/or Olympics medalist?

So in essence Webb has finished tied for last, he hasn't made the podium in major meets.
                        on the road

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
                          What's wrong with Steve Scott? All this overhype, and all he has to show for it is a 3:47 and a Helsinki silver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan Webb's record is sadly abysmal compared with Steve Scott. The '84 LA OG is the only race I can think of where Scott ran poorly and well below expectation...whereas Webb does it with regularity.

Comment

No offense but Scott was not running against people as fast as Alan's comp.........I mean Webb's comp.

Comment

Not really, point being why should we talk about Webb or anyone else in the same vain as a world and/or Olympics medalist?

So in essence Webb has finished tied for last, he hasn't made the podium in major meets.
                              Just because you ascribe idiotic criteria to what you think is worthy doesn't mean the rest of us need to.

No one is saying that Webb is a World or Olympic medalist. What baffles me is why it's so hard for people in your camp to understand why an athlete might have a fan base for reasons other than winning championships. What fun is there to only show interest in the winners? Like I said before, seems like a fairly lazy way to be a fan.

Comment

No offense but Scott was not running against people as fast as Alan's comp.........I mean Webb's comp.
                                Well, that is a little misleading of a statement. World competition is better yes, but Webb's inconsistencies are in domestic meets as well and Scott rarely had bad meets against American competition. He almost always brought his A game. Can anyone remember a meet for him like Reebok and Webb?

Comment

Working...
                                X