• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevinM
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Al Davis stated this, if you don't win the Super Bowl, then you finished tied for last.
    That's a tad hyperbolic, but I am confident that AW has not been happy with his results in major international championships, and am also confident that his fans were hoping for better.
    Not really, point being why should we talk about Webb or anyone else in the same vain as a world and/or Olympics medalist?

So in essence Webb has finished tied for last, he hasn't made the podium in major meets.
    Just because you ascribe idiotic criteria to what you think is worthy doesn't mean the rest of us need to.

No one is saying that Webb is a World or Olympic medalist. What baffles me is why it's so hard for people in your camp to understand why an athlete might have a fan base for reasons other than winning championships. What fun is there to only show interest in the winners? Like I said before, seems like a fairly lazy way to be a fan.
    I was a Pre a few years ago sitting near the PV pit. Stevens and Walker had put on quite a performance ( 5.90 with attempts at the then AR). Walker won on misses but by far, it was Stevens who put on the better show. My daughter(8 or 9 at the time) and her buddies were far more excited about "helmet dude" than they were about anyone else in the competition.

The crowd was more excited about Stevens than Walker. Why? He put on a show. People appreciated his antics as much as the performance and he was a compelling personality.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
      Originally posted by guruof track
      No offense but Scott was not running against people as fast as Alan's comp.........I mean Webb's comp.
      Well, that is a little misleading of a statement. World competition is better yes, but Webb's inconsistencies are in domestic meets as well and Scott rarely had bad meets against American competition. He almost always brought his A game. Can anyone remember a meet for him like Reebok and Webb?
      Fair enough. Regardless of Webb's inconsistencies, he is still racing faster people. I do agree, Webb should not be losing to American competition and definitely not by the margin he lost Reebok in.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
        Originally posted by bad hammy
        Al Davis stated this, if you don't win the Super Bowl, then you finished tied for last.
        That's a tad hyperbolic, but I am confident that AW has not been happy with his results in major international championships, and am also confident that his fans were hoping for better.
        Not really, point being why should we talk about Webb or anyone else in the same vain as a world and/or Olympics medalist?

So in essence Webb has finished tied for last, he hasn't made the podium in major meets.
        Just because you ascribe idiotic criteria to what you think is worthy doesn't mean the rest of us need to.

No one is saying that Webb is a World or Olympic medalist. What baffles me is why it's so hard for people in your camp to understand why an athlete might have a fan base for reasons other than winning championships. What fun is there to only show interest in the winners? Like I said before, seems like a fairly lazy way to be a fan.
        You're exactly right, it's my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, simply move on :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: get the stepping.

Just like I don't have to agree with your slanted view of Webb, I'll move on :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: that simple.

But you choose to use the term idiotic, which takes this discussion into another level all together :roll:

You can decide to be a fan for a different reason, no one said you couldn't. Where are you getting this people in my camp and hard to understanding from? Again I stated my view/opinion, has nothing to do with how you feel or your opinion..WOW :shock:
        on the road

Comment

[quote=guruof track]
          Originally posted by odelltrclan
          Originally posted by "guruof track":1r8zb4iy
          No offense but Scott was not running against people as fast as Alan's comp.........I mean Webb's comp.
          Well, that is a little misleading of a statement. World competition is better yes, but Webb's inconsistencies are in domestic meets as well and Scott rarely had bad meets against American competition. He almost always brought his A game. Can anyone remember a meet for him like Reebok and Webb?
          Fair enough. Regardless of Webb's inconsistencies, he is still racing faster people. I do agree, Webb should not be losing to American competition and definitely not by the margin he lost Reebok in.[/quote:1r8zb4iy]

Coe, Ovett, Cram, Maree, Cruz - not so sure about that. I would say AW's competition today is only marginally better at best and even that depends on the year. Since the retirement of HEG, the ferocity of improvement has leveled off considerably. There may be more depth than Scott's era perhaps, but I don't see the current WC competition running that much faster on a consistent basis, and in some cases not at all. Furthermore, with the way AW's been running the last two seasons, it's somewhat of an irrelevant point anyway. He's not compeitive now.....and he wouldn't have been competitive 30 years ago either.

Having said all that, I would like nothing more than to see AW make a sterling comeback and be among the world's best again.

Comment

Coe, Ovett, Cram, Maree, Cruz - not so sure about that. I would say AW's competition today is only marginally better at best and even that depends on the year.
            TRUE

Scott was #2 All Time when he ran the AR. Webb was 8th All Time, moving Scott only down to #12, 25 years later. A few standouts have run faster over the years, but a young Scott would be competitive on the world scene today. Webb should be too, but something is wrong. I hope he sorts it out.
            In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

Comment

Working...
            X