X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reebok Thoughts

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    Originally posted by bruce3404
    I attended the Reebok for the first time this year. This was one terrific meet with a lot of early-season world bests. Unfortunately, the capacity crowd was pretty much non-responsive to the great performances.

While I can't fault the promoters for doing their best to fill the stands and to raise enthusiasm by having an on-field cheerleader, the simple fact is that the Jamaicans who made up the large percentage of the crowd just don't give a damn about anyone not wearing the colors of Jamaica. .
    Not to be technical, but the athletes were wearing the colors of their sponsors.

The meet as well presented on TV, IMO.

And if wasnt clear before, you can tell by the presentation and acknowledgemnt of the athletes that Adidas owns Reebok.
    LOL you are being technical.

Bruce when I was watching game 6 of the Cavs & Magic series I was pissed! I didn't give a damn about Dwight Howards 40 point performance because my team lost! A lot of Carrib. fans attend to see their athletes do well and are disappointed when they don't. What's wrong with rooting for your team????

The first text I received Saturday evening was from a Jamaican asking if I saw Tyson run 19.5. It's funny how quick we categorize a Nation of people...
    Afrikan

Comment

Again I just say US fans need to show up and support....let's make this event oen of the BEST sporting events to attend, regardless of whether you support the US or Jamaica.

That is when people OUTSIDE the sport looking in will take notice...they will sit back and ask themselves "Wow, that's in my backyard, maybe I will attend this meet next yr..."

Comment

What's the best way to get to this meet?

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
          Lex Avenue train to 125th, followed by M35 bus to Randalls Isle.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
            And you don't have to take the X80 "special event" bus, especially if you use an unlimited metro card. The X80 costs $5 RT and the bus is essentially free with your unlimited metro card.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban
              It's sad that you have Knite come up from DC for the meet and you have some "track fan" in Queens who choose to stay at home.
              I find it hard to believe that anyone in Queens who considers hiimself a track fan would not come to the meet (assuming they could afford to buy a ticket and spend a few bucks to get there).

Comment

For the scenic/walking route: take the 6 train to the 103rd station and walk to the 103rd Street footbridge which goes over to the Island. It's about 15min or so from the station to the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                  Originally posted by einnod23
                  And you don't have to take the X80 "special event" bus, especially if you use an unlimited metro card. The X80 costs $5 RT and the bus is essentially free with your unlimited metro card.
                  The Bus ride after the meet is over is actually free of charge. They realize that they do not want to have the transportation be the casue for people deciding whether or not to attend the meet, so I think they arranged for the buses to begin taking people back to the subway (125th St) right after the meet, again, free of charge.

Folks need to mark there calendars next yr.

I witnessed Bolt's WR 9.72, Gay's 19.58, both years woman's sprint competitions very stacked along with the 400m's and quite a few distance races. The hurdles races are normally great as well. Very good meet all around, they have a few minor thigns that needs work but overall, very well done.

Comment

Next year, the Diamond League. Should be great.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      It's sad that you have Knite come up from DC for the meet and you have some "track fan" in Queens who choose to stay at home.
                      I find it hard to believe that anyone in Queens who considers hiimself a track fan would not come to the meet (assuming they could afford to buy a ticket and spend a few bucks to get there).
                      So you believe all of the able track fans in NYC were in attendance?
                      Afrikan

Comment

Re: Reebok Thoughts

Originally posted by TrackDaddy

Bruce when I was watching game 6 of the Cavs & Magic series I was pissed! I didn't give a damn about Dwight Howards 40 point performance because my team lost! A lot of Carrib. fans attend to see their athletes do well and are disappointed when they don't. What's wrong with rooting for your team????
                        Don't get me wrong; you bet I support USA T&F. But I also support great performances. Who wasn't angry with the US sprint/'relay performances in Beijing? Nonetheless, that's not a reason to refuse to applaud the great individuals/teams who took on our best and whipped them. Since you used a basketball analogy, even as a Cavs fan, I wouldn't have hesitated to applaud Howard's performance when (if) he was pulled with a few seconds left.

To Al: My perspective came from midway up in section 202, just about on the finish line. Wish I could have been surrounded by more exhuberant fans, such as those in your section.

To Tammy: Thanks for providing your inputs; I'm glad to hear that there are such fans as yourself and that you were making an effort to educate those less knowledgeable. Please don't think my original comments were meant to disrespect all Jamaicans and Jamaican fans. I just don't like boorish fans, regardless of where they're from

Music: While I'm not a fan of music at track events, at least the promoters didn't play it too loudly and, most importantly, it didn't interfere with the PA announcer.

Press Coverage: This is one way to get non-attendees excited about an event.
                        I left NYC on Sunday morning and was able to read the coverage in both the Times and the Post. While they both devoted some space to the event, neither published results. Got home late last night and opened the Register Guard; not only was there about twice the space devoted to Reebok meet analysis, but the R-G also published the results of each race--and all this on top of page after page of NCAA Regional commentary. Sure, we pride ourselves on our track heritage here, but surely the NY press could have done a better job on a meet in Manhattan. Guess the promoters need to serve better booze and food next year.

Comment

I believe all of the serious track fans in NYC should have been there. After all, how many opportunities are there to see high-level track in the NYC area?

Let's put it another way. I would expect all serious NBA fans in NYC to see at least a few Knick games every year. Ditto baseball fans with the Yankees/Mets. So why shouldn't a track fan go to a few track meets. And wouldn't that have to include this one? How often do you find a collection of Olympic and World Champions like that competing in one meet in NYC?

Comment

I believe all of the serious track fans in NYC should have been there. After all, how many opportunities are there to see high-level track in the NYC area?

Let's put it another way. I would expect all serious NBA fans in NYC to see at least a few Knick games every year. Ditto baseball fans with the Yankees/Mets. So why shouldn't a track fan go to a few track meets. And wouldn't that have to include this one? How often do you find a collection of Olympic and World Champions like that competing in one meet in NYC?
                            Heck you don't have to limit it to NYC, you have virtually the entire northeast/mid-atlantic region all within 3 hrs, no question that if you ahve the opportunity, you should make the effort!

Its a worthy meet to attend! I got up there early afternoon and made it to the meet by 3:10pm.

Comment

Correct. And I am one NYC track fan who missed two great years in a row of Reebok. I guess for me, that Penn takes a LOT out me, even though it's 4 weeks before! But I'll definitely make next year's Reebok Games.

Comment

How many do they get in attendance at Millrose?

When I lived in CT I attended an outdoor meet at Wien Stadium. It was a great meet with Cathy Freeman, Carl Lewis, a really good hurdles line up, I think McCoy, Crear and Kingdom at least. The attendance seemed to be far less than the Millrose I attended the same year. Are there just too many other distractions when the weather gets good?

Comment

Working...
                                X