Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to this meet the past four or five years, and this year's was great. Good competition, lively crowd, and nice weather. I think that the music was toned down greatly from previous years, where it was down right annoying. The volume was reasonable and the music didn't seem intrusive. Parking was improved from the clusterf**k of last year, so I got in and out quite easily. That may be partly due to getting there really early. I'll keep going as long as they keep putting it on.

Comment

I agree--the music was generally not iintrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
        Originally posted by unclezadok
        What's the best way to get to this meet?
        Lex Avenue train to 125th, followed by M35 bus to Randalls Isle.
        That is the way that I did it, coming from Midtown Manhattan.

For what it's worth, I thought the response to Tyson's run was fine. The Jamaicans were a bit much here and there but all in all I thought it was a great, well-run meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
          How many do they get in attendance at Millrose?
          These days, 14-15,000. But Millrose is a lot easier to get to than Randalls Island. It sits on top of Penn Station, which offers rail service to and from New Jersey and Long Island. Lots of subway service right there too. And it's a short walk from the city's major commuter bus terminal as well.

Comment

great discussion.

Tammy: thanks for the very good observations.

As another said, nobody on here, as far as I can tell, has anything against the Jamaican fans. I think it's awesome that there are so many pro-Jamaican fans, and West Indies fans generally, but I think your observation about some new faces showing up just cuz of the Bolt phenomenon is correct: some folks were into Jamaicans winning and not much else.

Again, overall, the crowd was great. My earlier point was that the organizers need to work harder, if they want to grow this meet - and they can, to bring in a broader audience.

the NYC based press still don't give this meet much coverage. this is a shame, and it will ultimately limit this meet's success.

A few points regarding the music factor:

- true: the music was less annoying this year than the last 2 years; not as loud

- I have no problem with the music itself, but....

- it's clear that playing the music takes the crowd out of the races psychologically. if the crowd can't hear its own response to the races, and the announcers are not encouraging them to follow the race, the crowd just disengages - people sit back and passively listen to the music, basically ignoring the race.

- playing the music during the races is an insult to the athletes: it's like saying "this is not interesting enough to pay attention to, so we'll play music instead". at some subconcious level this is the crowd's response: lots of them check out.

possible compromises:
            - no music, period, during any races 800 or under
            - at 1500 and over, just bloody stop the music and get the crowd going over the last 2-3 laps, at least.

- another problem with the music: it creates so much distraction that the crowd misses out on what's happening in the field.
            - this year the field announcer/cheerleader did no do a good job of getting the crowd to pay any attention to the pole vault (partly her fault, partly the fault of the music)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Originally posted by Taliban
              So you believe all of the able track fans in NYC were in attendance?
              I believe all of the serious track fans in NYC should have been there. After all, how many opportunities are there to see high-level track in the NYC area?

Let's put it another way. I would expect all serious NBA fans in NYC to see at least a few Knick games every year. Ditto baseball fans with the Yankees/Mets. So why shouldn't a track fan go to a few track meets. And wouldn't that have to include this one? How often do you find a collection of Olympic and World Champions like that competing in one meet in NYC?
              A lot of people sat at home and watched the meet on TV. I'm glad the attendance of the meet continues to grow and hopefully we can start inviting local pro athletes to attend(publicity reasons). Imagine how many more non fans will be watching just knowing that a few KNick, Nets, Giants, and Jets are in attendance.
              Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                Originally posted by Daisy
                How many do they get in attendance at Millrose?
                These days, 14-15,000. But Millrose is a lot easier to get to than Randalls Island. It sits on top of Penn Station, which offers rail service to and from New Jersey and Long Island. Lots of subway service right there too. And it's a short walk from the city's major commuter bus terminal as well.
                I guess it's all a matter of perception. Having just spent three months in NYC, I was very happy with the level of public transportation. The trip from Midtown to Randall's can be as short as 25 minutes and you needn't spend a second looking for a place to park. I live less than 5 miles from Hayward and when one factors in driving, parking and walking into the venue, it takes 20-25 minutes. I grew up in LA and on a bad day, it can take 25 minutes to travel 5 miles (and a typical LA commute--if there is such a thing--to a sporting event is upwards of 20 miles). I had to chuckle to myself when I heard a few Tribeca residents at the Performing Arts Center complaining about having to travel to the theater district to take in a play (a trip that would take all of ten minutes!).

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban
                  I'm glad the attendance of the meet continues to grow and hopefully we can start inviting local pro athletes to attend(publicity reasons). Imagine how many more non fans will be watching just knowing that a few KNick, Nets, Giants, and Jets are in attendance.
                  Two thoughts. First, I don't think I've ever heard of any sport promoting one of its events by telling people that athletes from another sport will be in attendance.

Second, there's a limit to how many more fans CAN see the meet. I believe the place was sold out last year, and it was almost sold out this year.

Comment

At this rate, maybe they will add more seating, as the seating appeared to be very satisfied.

Comment

I am Jamaican and I always cheer for Sheila Hudson... and she is American (citizen).. and not a sprinter :wink:

Comment

That link doesn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by usafa
                          I am Jamaican and I always cheer for her... and she is American (citizen).. and not a sprinter :wink:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1
                          Shiela Hudson was a FAN favorite at Penn. The jump pit is along the homestretch, and every Jamaican and American man loved the up close view! :lol:

Comment

I completely disagree with Bruce. I disagree that the crowd ignored the non Jamaican athletes. It is very true that the crowd, 80 % maybe 90 % were either Jamaican or of Jamaican heritage. But there was much support for all the athletes in the section of the bleachers where I was. I saw a lot of J'cans rushing to the seats closest to the track to take pictures when Wariner, Tyson Gay, and LaShawn Merritt came out for warmups. There were lots of cheers when Tyson ran his 19.58secs. Even the distance events where Jamaica had no runners got cheers when the lead runner started to lap the slower runners.

With that said it is obvious that the meet promoters were heavily targeting Jamaican fans. There was a lot of reggae music playing in the background AND even in the promotional booklet the ads seem heavily slanted to people of Jamaican/Caribbean origin. While I was pleased by the turnout, considering that this is NYC I was disappointed that there was not more of a presence from American track fans. I mean LaShawn Merritt, Jeremy Wariner, Tyson Gay, Wallace Spearmon are on the track and I'm like why aren't more American fans coming out to support their track stars at an American meet on American soil ? That is the fault not of Jamaican supporters but of American fans who appear to have gone in hiding or prefer to watch the meet on TV, or read about it in the papers.
                            The Social News Site For T&F - http://runzoom.com

Comment

Tiny URL please.

Comment

suddenly the meet is running long
                                Tom Hyland:
                                "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Working...
                                X