X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutra
    Crowd went absolutely silent when Willard caught Sinclair.
    It actually did, Huge effort for Willard to run down Sinclair like that, but hat's off. Sinclari I must give props for taking the race out and chasing a fast time.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Crowd went absolutely silent when Willard caught Sinclair.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I felt the same way the last two posters did. I thought the crowd was respectful and applauded the good performances regardless of nationality. Of course the place would have gone absolutely bonkers if a Jamaican had won one of the big races, but that never happened.

Leave a comment:

• rainy.here
    replied
    Re: Reebok Thoughts

Originally posted by bruce3404
    As the afternoon wore on and the Jamaicans were getting clobbered by US sprinters, the mood of the crowd became surly to the point that Tyson Gay's terrific performance was hardly acknowledged.
    Are you sure about that? I wasn't there, but watching the videos, it sounded to me like the crowd went crazy after his time flashed up on the scoreboard.

Leave a comment:

• nickelcity
    replied
    I have not missed this meet since its inception. For me this means coming in from Buffalo and staying in a hotel. Every edition of the meet has been worthwhile.
    I completely disagree with some of the above comments regarding the Jamaican fans. Every year has seen a lot of Jamaicans (more this year). They have cheered most for their own countrymen(women) but also cheered good performances. Everyone around me came out of their seats cheering and screaming at Tyson's 19.58. This may differ by section, I was in 101 at the finish line. Those seats go fast and maybe there were more real fans in that area.
    Every year I have been surrounded by fans who cheered the distance runners every lap and stood to applaud the finish (no Jamaican's in those races).
    I try to avoid generalizations but if I were to do so regarding the Jamaicans near me every year of this meet I would say they were ardent supporters of their athletes and also highly informed about sprinting and truly appreciative of a great performance, by athletes from any country.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    suddenly the meet is running long

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Tiny URL please.

Leave a comment:

• Cojo
    replied
    I completely disagree with Bruce. I disagree that the crowd ignored the non Jamaican athletes. It is very true that the crowd, 80 % maybe 90 % were either Jamaican or of Jamaican heritage. But there was much support for all the athletes in the section of the bleachers where I was. I saw a lot of J'cans rushing to the seats closest to the track to take pictures when Wariner, Tyson Gay, and LaShawn Merritt came out for warmups. There were lots of cheers when Tyson ran his 19.58secs. Even the distance events where Jamaica had no runners got cheers when the lead runner started to lap the slower runners.

With that said it is obvious that the meet promoters were heavily targeting Jamaican fans. There was a lot of reggae music playing in the background AND even in the promotional booklet the ads seem heavily slanted to people of Jamaican/Caribbean origin. While I was pleased by the turnout, considering that this is NYC I was disappointed that there was not more of a presence from American track fans. I mean LaShawn Merritt, Jeremy Wariner, Tyson Gay, Wallace Spearmon are on the track and I'm like why aren't more American fans coming out to support their track stars at an American meet on American soil ? That is the fault not of Jamaican supporters but of American fans who appear to have gone in hiding or prefer to watch the meet on TV, or read about it in the papers.

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Originally posted by usafa
    I am Jamaican and I always cheer for her... and she is American (citizen).. and not a sprinter :wink:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1
    Shiela Hudson was a FAN favorite at Penn. The jump pit is along the homestretch, and every Jamaican and American man loved the up close view! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    That link doesn't work...

Leave a comment:

• usafa
    replied
    I am Jamaican and I always cheer for Sheila Hudson... and she is American (citizen).. and not a sprinter :wink:

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    At this rate, maybe they will add more seating, as the seating appeared to be very satisfied.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Taliban
    I'm glad the attendance of the meet continues to grow and hopefully we can start inviting local pro athletes to attend(publicity reasons). Imagine how many more non fans will be watching just knowing that a few KNick, Nets, Giants, and Jets are in attendance.
    Two thoughts. First, I don't think I've ever heard of any sport promoting one of its events by telling people that athletes from another sport will be in attendance.

Second, there's a limit to how many more fans CAN see the meet. I believe the place was sold out last year, and it was almost sold out this year.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by Daisy
    How many do they get in attendance at Millrose?
    These days, 14-15,000. But Millrose is a lot easier to get to than Randalls Island. It sits on top of Penn Station, which offers rail service to and from New Jersey and Long Island. Lots of subway service right there too. And it's a short walk from the city's major commuter bus terminal as well.
    I guess it's all a matter of perception. Having just spent three months in NYC, I was very happy with the level of public transportation. The trip from Midtown to Randall's can be as short as 25 minutes and you needn't spend a second looking for a place to park. I live less than 5 miles from Hayward and when one factors in driving, parking and walking into the venue, it takes 20-25 minutes. I grew up in LA and on a bad day, it can take 25 minutes to travel 5 miles (and a typical LA commute--if there is such a thing--to a sporting event is upwards of 20 miles). I had to chuckle to myself when I heard a few Tribeca residents at the Performing Arts Center complaining about having to travel to the theater district to take in a play (a trip that would take all of ten minutes!).

Leave a comment:

• Taliban
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by Taliban
    So you believe all of the able track fans in NYC were in attendance?
    I believe all of the serious track fans in NYC should have been there. After all, how many opportunities are there to see high-level track in the NYC area?

Let's put it another way. I would expect all serious NBA fans in NYC to see at least a few Knick games every year. Ditto baseball fans with the Yankees/Mets. So why shouldn't a track fan go to a few track meets. And wouldn't that have to include this one? How often do you find a collection of Olympic and World Champions like that competing in one meet in NYC?
    A lot of people sat at home and watched the meet on TV. I'm glad the attendance of the meet continues to grow and hopefully we can start inviting local pro athletes to attend(publicity reasons). Imagine how many more non fans will be watching just knowing that a few KNick, Nets, Giants, and Jets are in attendance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X