Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkjoregon
    Originally posted by guruof track

But I'll still take Fernandez over any Oregon runner at 1500 at this point.

Well here are the PB results so far. :lol:

1) Centrowitz 3:36.92
    2) Wheating 3:38.60
    3) Rupp 3:39.14
    4) Fernandez 3:40.04

Well, I think Fernandez' mile will equate to better than 3:40, maybe even as low as 3:37 so take these times with a grain of salt. I agree with the point though, Fernandez is no lock to win this event.

Comment

Fernandez has not had to run faster to this point, so PB/SB at this point mean little, but if you think 3:40.04 is truely indicative of what Fernandez is capable of full out, be my guest.

Not trying to discredit Oregon, because they are a grat program with great runners. I'd just take Fernandez in the 1500 over any runner in the collegiate ranks.

But do you care to give me their PRs in the full mile now??? Just curious.

Comment

I just hope that German is fully healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
          I just hope that German is fully healthy.
          and may the best man win. 8-)

Comment

Last time German was healthy, Holland, Belgium & France quickly paid the price! (Oh, sorry, wrong war) :-)

Comment

[
              Stillwater ? Is the climate different than Norman?
              Not enough difference to make a difference. Stillwater is about 70 miles north and 17 miles east of Norman. Sometimes Stillwater is a couple of degrees colder in the winter.

Comment

I suppose that your Emoticon reflects that Fernandez solo 3:55i is comparable to 3:36-, right? I think that Rupp does not have the speed to go with Fernandez (we won't find out here) and Wheating isn't running either. Centro won his big race by jumping the field in the backstrecth of his time-trial race. I do not think Centro's time is comparable to the quality of the performance that Fernandez put up.

The clincher is that Centro has to run two races and we know that Fernandez is super in that environment (think CA State 1600/3200/1600 with a mere hours between his fabulous (for HS) times in both the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235

I suppose that your Emoticon reflects that Fernandez solo 3:55i is comparable to 3:36-, right? I think that Rupp does not have the speed to go with Fernandez (we won't find out here) and Wheating isn't running either. Centro won his big race by jumping the field in the backstrecth of his time-trial race. I do not think Centro's time is comparable to the quality of the performance that Fernandez put up.

The clincher is that Centro has to run two races and we know that Fernandez is super in that environment (think CA State 1600/3200/1600 with a mere hours between his fabulous (for HS) times in both the finals.
                  Well of course you may be right. Fernandez is a great talent and I suppose he could indeed "eat Centro alive". But I think there is a tendency to "build castles in the air" when looking at his -so far- fairly thin record . Frankly he has faced very few of his top competitors in the college ranks on the track. And when he did in the 5000 meters at Cardinal, the results were hardly earth shattering.

As far as his speed, what are his 200, 400, 800 meter closing times vs his present and future competitors? For instance, I would like to see some documentation that he is faster than Rupp, Wheating or Centrowitz. He might be.

Then is a 3::55 time trial Indoors in January really more impressive than the 3:36.92 thrown down by Centro while defeating a host of quality athletes? To me they are both great performances.

Wish the best to all, and actually I would be happy if Fernandez does turn into the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Comment

I had forgotten Rupp's 1:49.

Centro followed the fast pace in a race intended to be primarily about racing to fast times. Sitting in for 3.5 laps on an outdoor track is easier than soloing 3:55 indoors.

Your point of the 'thinness' of GF's record is well taken; it is a little hard to know where he is at. However, he was injured in the XC race and the next thing we saw was his sub-4 indoors and fast 3000 and it was like he never missed a beat(sort of like AW:lol: -see the other thread).

Comment

German's 3:40.04 mark is a converted time from an "actual" 3:42.80A (I beleive).

I have a strong feeling that he will win the NCAA meet. I also think he will run 3:33/3:34 before the year is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bettwy
                        German's 3:40.04 mark is a converted time from an "actual" 3:42.80A (I beleive).

I have a strong feeling that he will win the NCAA meet. I also think he will run 3:33/3:34 before the year is out.
                        Considering (from what I thought I heard) that he is taking the summer off, I find that hard to believe. Not that he lacks capability perhaps, but rather will lack the opportunity.

Comment

I'm a huge Fernandez fan, but 3:33/3:34..........I just don't see that happening.

Comment

I don't think there's much evidence that Fernandez is not at least as quick as Centrowitz at the end of a 1500m. I think either would be able to run down Rupp.

I also don't think Fernandez gets down to 3:34 range. He may not race at all after NCAAs.

Comment

So is Fernandez considered a much better runner at 1500 compared to 5000 meters :?:

At the Cardinal (5-2-09) on the same night Centro beat a slew of 1500 meter runners in 3:36.92, Fernandez finished 4th in the 5000 meters, getting outkicked by Chris Derrick, a fellow freshman. Derrick is not known as a 1500 meter guy.
                              Subsequently Rupp easily handled Derrick in the 5000 meters at the Western Regionals, while losing twice at 1500 meters ( the last 3:38.30 to 3:39.14 ) to Centro.

Now I know this is a flawed logic argument ( Rupp is better at 5000 than 1500 ), but it does point out that Fernandez has looked :shock: human recently.

Hope Fernandez was just rounding into shape and he is in better condition at the NCAA 1500's. Should be a good race and wish the best to all the young athletes. 8-)

Men 1500 Meter Run Section 1 Cardinal 5-2-09
                              ================================================== ==============
                              D1 Regional: R 3:47.80
                              Name Year School Finals
                              1 Matthew Centrowitz Oregon 3:36.92R
                              2 Peter van der Westhuizen Team Nebrask 3:37.22R
                              3 Lee Emanuel New Mexico 3:37.25R
                              4 Chris Lukezic Reebok 3:37.32R
                              5 Garrett Heath Stanford 3:37.57R
                              6 Jack Bolas Wisconsin 3:37.64R
                              7 Craig Miller Wisconsin 3:37.81R
                              8 Matt Lincoln Phoenix Athl 3:38.44R
                              9 Juan Luis Barrios Nike 3:39.40R

Men 5000 Meter Run Section 2 Cardinal 5-2-09
                              D1 Regional: R 14:12.00
                              Name Year School Finals
                              1 Hasssan Mead Minnesota 13:28.45R
                              2 Evan Jager Oregon Track 13:29.65R
                              3 Chris Derrick Stanford 13:29.98R
                              4 German Fernandez Oklahoma Sta 13:31.78R
                              5 Stephen Furst Adidas Ralei 13:36.42R
                              6 Ryan Vail Oklahoma Sta 13:37.02R

Comment

Working...
                              X