Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurren Maggi??? [and Chambers]

Seeing as Dwain is rightfully banned from all Euro meetings because of his drugs ban why was Maggi jumping in Hengelo???

Do they not know that she was also banned or is Dwain's case somehow different?

I'm not advocating that he should also be allowed to compete but if he can't then neither should she :x

Flump - I have asked the same question......but Kalamata is listed on the Euro Meeting site as well, at which Chambers competed? Its all very confusing.

Comment

I think its a joke and there is clearly a lack of consistency.

Dwain did the crime and served the time. The issue is that he continues to highlight his return from a drugs ban in the media which takes away emphasis from the meetings as a whole. Dwain needs that kind of profile to make a living and to repay the money he owes the IAAF etc. Its a no win situation for the sport.

I also think that his matter of fact comments on Inside Sport regarding the need for drugs to succeed have damaged his chances of making a return.

Dwain is tough and I wouldn't be surprised if he medals in Berlin.

Comment

Chambers may not be the G.O.A.T. but he certainly is the scapeGOAT.

One rule for him, one for the others.....

Comment

I hate these double standards, it seems only Dwain is signaled out :x

Comment

Re: Maurren Maggi???

Originally posted by Flumpy
            Seeing as Dwain is rightfully banned from all Euro meetings because of his drugs ban...
            How is somebody "rightfully" banned if they've fulfilled the prescribed penalties as set down by those in charge of the penalties in the first place? Little vigilante justice your cup of tea is it?

Comment

Chambers isn't banned from all Euromeetings events. GL and GP are the only organised meets which are capable of keeping anyone out. EA has no say in which athletes are able to run in their meets, hence that's how Stambolova, Chambers and Veneva can compete in an EA Classic meet like Papaflessia.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Chambers isn't banned from all Euromeetings events. GL and GP are the only organised meets which are capable of keeping anyone out. EA has no say in which athletes are able to run in their meets, hence that's how Stambolova, Chambers and Veneva can compete in an EA Classic meet like Papaflessia.
                How about some facts.

1 - It was a Euromeetings resolution that called for banning the druggies from their meets. So to the extent that the ban is effective, Chambers is subject to it in all Euromeetings events.

2 - There is no GL or GP rule that makes those meets uniquely capable of keeping anyone out. It's up to the individual meets.

3 - Hengelo IS a GP meet, so if there were a rule banning druggies from GP meets, it presumably would have applied to Maggi.

4 - Papaflessia is a member of Euromeetings.

5 - The Euromeetings resolution was not, and probably could not be, legally binding. Any meet director can invite anyone he/she chooses. Honor the ban or not, it's up to the individual meet.

Comment

Re: Maurren Maggi???

Originally posted by gh
                  Seeing as Dwain is rightfully banned from all Euro meetings because of his drugs ban...
                  How is somebody "rightfully" banned if they've fulfilled the prescribed penalties as set down by those in charge of the penalties in the first place? Little vigilante justice your cup of tea is it?
                  I say 'rightfully' because I think it's perfectly correct for meeting directors not to invite athletes who will bring nothing but bad publicity to the meeting. I also think that if athletes know that even after returning from a drug ban they are unlikely to be able to make a living in the sport then it may make them reconsider cheating in the first place.

Nothing vigilante about it, just common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    Any meet director can invite anyone he/she chooses. Honor the ban or not, it's up to the individual meet.
                    I've never stated that they don't have a choice. Factually, 95% of the meets are honouring it, five percent aren't. Unfortunately, with a flight to board, I don't have the 10 minutes it will take to religiously search through my browsing history to find the source for the GP/GL/EA information provided.

Comment

List of attendants at last year's Euromeetings General Assembly

http://www.euromeetings.org/about-files ... ndance.pdf

Comment

...ergo those meetings should not have previously athletes competing at them?

Comment

It would be hilarious if she's invited to compete in any UK events.

It's just the sort of cock up I can see UKA making.

Comment

It would be hilarious if she's invited to compete in any UK events.

It's just the sort of cock up I can see UKA making.
                            won't happen, not since the torri edwards debacle next year
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Do you mean last year???

Comment

Working...
                              X