Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A reason why we "want to keep track to ourselves".

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    You have distance races going on, field events going on, I want my instant gratification, I don't wanna have to wait until a steeplechase has been completed.
    Ah, I hadn't even considered they could not even wait until the end of a race. Or have to wait for a series of jumps to be completed. Personally, I don't see this type of instant gratification being the problem for track and field. How could seasons in other sports even be possible if this was the case?

I can see it kicking in with regard to learning the complexities of the sport. Someone mentioned this above. Obviously one needs to "know" the sport to enjoy it, so I agree they are probably not patient enough to get to know it.
    Well Daisy, when you say not patient enough that does speak to instant gratification, because I'm (certain fans) not patient enough to sit through a lengthy track meet, with multiple events going on, some simultaneously.

With respect to not knowing the sport, there are again those die hard fans who know the sport, yet aren't willing to sit through events they aren't there to watch. Typically with the jumps, you won't have to wait for those jumps to be completed because something else will be going on simultaneously, which is part of the issue.

You see with regards to the other sports, the possiblity of other events going on at the same time, doesn't even apply. When I go to a baseball, football and basketball game, that is what I will get, not 3 or 4 events simultaneoulsy.

Now you see that dynamic with respect to track & field has been there even back in the day (many events) when attendance was higher and the audience was more captivating. However the landscape of sports over the years has changed, along with the attention span of fans. Track & field however has actually added more events over the years and as such, added to the problem of promoting and marketing the sport to this generation of fans.

How can a network put a package together that will appeal to an audience they are trying to capture (new blood), if the current fan base is discontent with what is currently being offered?
    on the road

Comment

Well Daisy, when you say not patient enough that does speak to instant gratification, because I'm (certain fans) not patient enough to sit through a lengthy track meet.
      I agree that not every fan will enjoy all events. On the other hand, couldn't they ignore the ones they are less interested in, especially in the field?

My biggest let down at a track meet was to see the stadium empty in Atlanta prior to the men's 10,000m final. There was no atmosphere for a great battle that deserved a Bislet-like crowd.

How can a network put a package together that will appeal to an audience they are trying to capture (new blood), if the current fan base is discontent with what is currently being offered?
      Originally I thought you were talking about attending a live meet. But now I'm wondering if you're really talking about television?

Comment

Well Daisy, when you say not patient enough that does speak to instant gratification, because I'm (certain fans) not patient enough to sit through a lengthy track meet.
        I agree that not every fan will enjoy all events. On the other hand, couldn't they ignore the ones they are less interested in, especially in the field?

My biggest let down at a track meet was to see the stadium empty in Atlanta prior to the men's 10,000m final. There was no atmosphere for a great battle that deserved a Bislet-like crowd.
        Daisy, I am not even referring to every fan, because that will not happen. Part of the issue for the powers to be in track & field to capture the fantasy of fans (both old & new) is what you alluded to, an empty stadium.

Again it's as if you are at a multiple sporting event and as a result I'll show up when my sporting event ( 100m) starts or the long jump, etc.

It just really appears especially in America, we are in a different place and time with respect to the appreciation for track & field.

Daisy, about your comment on live and televised track meets, I am addressing both. You see those same die hard fans would watch on T.V. as well as attend a live meet. So because I can't attend a live meet for whatever reasons, I can still get my fix watching it being televised.

So in order to both grow and capture a new viewer of the sport, there must be a product that will get them excited.
        on the road

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
          Originally posted by tandfman
          I have stated this before and I'll state it again, there is too much (events) going on in track & field to promote and market it to new fans. The attention span of this generation of fans won't allow for it.

I remember the indoor meets that had the pole vault competitions between Billy Olson and Sergey Bubka early in Bubka's career. That was some good stuff. We never get to see anything like that, even in WC or Olympics.

Oh how I would love to see some of that again on TV instead of some of the lame coverage we now get!
          It may not be attention span so much as contractual nonsense. How many times a year do you get to see Gay and Bolt run against each other? Merritt and Wariner? Walker, Hooker and the Russian whose name I cannot spell?

There is an incentive for the athlete to pick and chose competitions rather than go head to head on a regular basis. That helps the individual athlete and does nothing for the sport. SP and the 110Mh seem to be a couple areas where the top athletes compete frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave

It may not be attention span so much as contractual nonsense. How many times a year do you get to see Gay and Bolt run against each other? Merritt and Wariner? Walker, Hooker and the Russian whose name I cannot spell?

There is an incentive for the athlete to pick and chose competitions rather than go head to head on a regular basis. That helps the individual athlete and does nothing for the sport. SP and the 110Mh seem to be a couple areas where the top athletes compete frequently.
            Exactly - there are lots of track meets out there - but not enough of the right meets. The big stars rarely go up against each other save for World Championships and Olympics. I am a marginal tennis fan but I know enough to tune in when Nadal and Federer are playing - they meet regularly so I know they are the top players in the sport. As they meet a many as four times a year in big slams like Wimbledon, US and Australian open even people marginally interested will tune in when these events are on. How many people can tell you the name of one big track meet? Not many I bet. I was talking to a sport fanatic at work earlier in the week and he did not even know the World Championship is on this year much less about the Reebok Grand Prix. If Bolt/Gay, Merritt/Wariner and others meet often the networks are more likely to tune in and hype it and the viewers more likely to tune in. This once a year or once every two years meeting of the biggest track athletes keeps only the hardcore fans interested.
            The Social News Site For T&F - http://runzoom.com

Comment

The networks don't get caught up in the squabbles of contract between prima donna's or shall I say the agents.

That isn't even close to addressing the issue of why track & field has faded with respect to interest and in particular here in the U.S.

Again the product has to be appealing to offer it a public that quite frankly, doesn't have the same interest it once had for track & field.
              on the road

Comment

I enjoy watching multiple events at once, although it can be difficult to try and keep track of everything. Which brings me to one of the biggest problems with presentation at meets. There is all too often no way to follow field events. There is no visible board to follow marks during jumps or throws. There is no leader board. If there is a board there is often a moron out there whose only job is to see how many people's view of the board he can obstruct for the entire event.
                How much would people enjoy going to a tennis match or a basketball game if they were informed of the score once every half hour or not at all. They might have to go home and check the internet to see who won (as I have had to do after a meet).
                The fact that many events take place at a meet should be a strength. I think of the many football, baseball, basketball, etc games I have been to which were decided long before the end. At a meet there is always the potential that the next event will provide a great competition or a great mark or ideally, both.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelcity
                  There is no visible board to follow marks during jumps or throws. There is no leader board.
                  I went to one meet where they solved this in a trivial way. I forget the meet though.

They had numbered indictors on the side of the sector showing each athletes longest throw. It was very easy to assess the progress of the event and you knew exactly what each athlete had to do to move up.

It might be harder in the jumps where athletes performances are more clustered.

So in order to both grow and capture a new viewer of the sport, there must be a product that will get them excited
                  With regard to TV, I felt that NBC partly solved your dilemma on their Olympic web site. There you could click on which ever event you wanted to see. You watched what interested you and filtered out the rest. Obviously it was about two days too late but better than nothing. Clearly this could be adapted to allow you to personalise your viewing experience.

Comment

I have stated this before and I'll state it again, there is too much (events) going on in track & field to promote and market it to new fans. The attention span of this generation of fans won't allow for it.

Imagine going to a basketball and all the elements of All Star weekend were going on all at once, or even watching a football game and they were kicking field goals, punting, kicking off, all at once.
                    I think it is just the opposite.

Kids today can multi task better than adults. They have the capacity.

I just don't think that the sport has been promoted properly.
                    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Originally posted by nickelcity
                      There is no visible board to follow marks during jumps or throws. There is no leader board.
                      I went to one meet where they solved this in a trivial way. I forget the meet though.

They had numbered indictors on the side of the sector showing each athletes longest throw. It was very easy to assess the progress of the event and you knew exactly what each athlete had to do to move up.

It might be harder in the jumps where athletes performances are more clustered.

So in order to both grow and capture a new viewer of the sport, there must be a product that will get them excited
                      With regard to TV, I felt that NBC partly solved your dilemma on their Olympic web site. There you could click on which ever event you wanted to see. You watched what interested you and filtered out the rest. Obviously it was about two days too late but better than nothing. Clearly this could be adapted to allow you to personalise your viewing experience.

Daisy why in the world would a casual fan wanna see something after they know the outcome? Sure the die hard fan would, but even then, you hear grumbling about that scenario. Also you referenced the Olympics, that's hardly the problem more people watch the Olympics.

I never said we don't have anything to watch and again it's not just what's not shown on T.V. that's the issue. The other element I mentioned is live, again too many events, you mentioned yourself the 10,000m final and that is just one example, they are more.

If this wasn't a problem, don't you think it wouldn't be raised?
                      on the road

Comment

Clearly this could be adapted to allow you to personalise your viewing experience.
                        Daisy why in the world would a casual fan wanna see something after they know the outcome?
                        I also wrote "I felt that NBC partly solved your dilemma"

The other element I mentioned is live, again too many events, you mentioned yourself the 10,000m final and that is just one example, they are more.
                        So which are the event that should be retained? Obviously you'd like to keep the 100 and LJ. Are you willing to keep any of the middle distance? Hurdles are a little esoteric, they should probably go too. Shot, discus and hammer are just too far away. Get rid of them, maybe keep the javelin because it clearly goes the furtherest. Should we bother with the 400 and 200? I mean we already had one sprint?

Comment

Daisy, I think you're confused about my position, I never said I personally feel this way. I am speaking in general, I am a die hard fan and have been for over 37 years. I have seen it from different angles (participant, coach, athletes involved).

I have seen the changes over the years with respect to attendance, interest. I have seen the comments on the varous message boards with respect to the disenchantment toward how the sport is covered, I have spoken with individuals regarding this. I have seen the reduction in the coverage, so obviously there is a problem here, not just from my perspective.
                          on the road

Comment

The main reason for no full 10K.......

A full 10,000m on TV has the same problem as the old no shot-clock college hoop game.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
                              The main reason for no full 10K.......

A full 10,000m on TV has the same problem as the old no shot-clock college hoop game.
                              The comment about the 10K was regarding a live track meet.
                              on the road

Comment

I am speaking in general, I am a die hard fan and have been for over 37 years.
                                Sorry for the confusion, certainly I thought you were talking about your own perspective. Although the point still stands, what do we change? In many ways this reminds me of how cricket had to reinvent itself. Test matches still play an important role but the introduction of limited overs and the world cup really help boost its popularity. So who is track and fields Kerry Packer?

Comment

Working...
                                X