X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kuha
    Originally posted by steve
    Originally posted by Dutra
    I'm in Brian's corner as far as the way the sport should be televised.
    So, Brian was able to convince some people with nothing else to do but be in a bar getting drunk in the middle of some random day to watch TV by talking too them. You probably could get the same crowd to watch ballet or a spelling bee. Drunk people in the middle of the day who get to be passively involved (watch TV) an finally have someone who will talk to them.........bravo, Brian, on your field research
    That's way too cynical. We've all had experiences like Brian's and can attest to the fact that "average" folks can take at least SOME interest in the sport, when encouraged or informed...
    I listen to my friends about baseball. I've even been to an MLB game. I am definitely no baseball fan and find it numbingly dull. Don't confuse your ability captivate your personal audience with actually developing in them an interest in the sport.

Comment

That's way too cynical. We've all had experiences like Brian's and can attest to the fact that "average" folks can take at least SOME interest in the sport, when encouraged or informed...
      Agreed. I assume this is always Rawson's goal, unfortunately, he's simply terrible at it and chooses to continue to make the same ridiculous analogies meet-after-meet (spikes weighing the same as a slice of bread - lol). But he's also prone to making stupid mistakes ie identifying Nate Brannen as Chris Lukezic at adidas Carson then trying to cover his ass by claiming their running styles were the same.

However, there's no doubt that opinions here are biased through most posters high level of expertise. I was once watching a track meet with a friend who was on the US National Ice Skating team. After making an apologetic comment about what I regarded as moronic commentary, she said, "Don't worry, it's the same with us. We can't stand listening to Dick Button because he f**** it up every single broadcast. He doesn't know a triple toe loop from a triple salchow". Of course, when I watch ice skating I assume the commentators know what they're talking about and take their word as gospel...

Comment

Mark has nayled it. If you're a hard-core fan, I suspect, of any sport, the TV content sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          the TV content sucks.
          Who would complain about the NFL coverage? Retired and college players?

Comment

I'm in Brian's corner as far as the way the sport should be televised.
            So, Brian was able to convince some people with nothing else to do but be in a bar getting drunk in the middle of some random day to watch TV by talking too them. You probably could get the same crowd to watch ballet or a spelling bee. Drunk people in the middle of the day who get to be passively involved (watch TV) an finally have someone who will talk to them.........bravo, Brian, on your field research
            I listen to my friends about baseball. I've even been to an MLB game. I am definitely no baseball fan and find it numbingly dull. Don't confuse your ability captivate your personal audience with actually developing in them an interest in the sport.
            I tried to use my words precisely, by referring simply to getting folks to "take at least SOME interest" (implicitly a temporary thing) rather than pretending to have them develop any sustained "interest in the sport."

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Mark has nayled it. If you're a hard-core fan, I suspect, of any sport, the TV content sucks.
              Maybe i'm not a hardcore fan, cause i think the TV content is just fine. My expectations are not very high though and hence im always happy!
              phsstt!

Comment

What's the alternative to what you see and hear right now?
                on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Originally posted by Speedfirst
                  Honestly, I never watch a track meet with.... ANY EXPECTATIONS...about the commentators, this way, no let down for me.
                  I watch simply to see the athletes perform.
                  But . . . if you're not there in person, you have to rely on whatever the camera shows and sometimes it's just tiny little bodies in a group on the track, so we need GOOD commentators to apprise of of who is who and who is doing what. That's where we need someone who knows that a Willard or a Barringer or a Shaheen is a threat even though they are Steeplers.
                  What fan wouldn't be able to tell Willard and Barringer apart?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Most super fans of MLB complain constantly about the analysis of the game by guys such as Joe Morgan. There is or was a site firejoemorgan.com which is absolutely hysterical if one is interested in this sort of criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Most super fans of MLB complain constantly about the analysis of the game by guys such as Joe Morgan. There is or was a site firejoemorgan.com which is absolutely hysterical if one is interested in this sort of criticism.
                      That was a great site -- one of the editors was a writer for the US version of "The Office" and is now a writer for "Parks and Recreation".

Complaining about announcers is part of the sport -- think about how NFL message boards would read today if Cosell was still around. Websites like Deadspin.com or, obviously, awfulannouncing.com make their living largely off of bitching about the media. Track announcers get off easy compared to the likes of Dick Vitale, Brent Musberger, or Joe Buck.

Comment

You're never gonna find ANY commentator who is going to please the masses. So if you go into any televised event to have your itching ears validated, it ain't gonna happen.

A wise man once said " you can please some of the people some of the time, but never all of the people, all of the time" :shock: :lol:
                        on the road

Comment

What fan wouldn't be able to tell Willard and Barringer apart?
                          If you can't see them on-screen, it's a little tough to recognize them. I caught Willard's late rush by her strand of bleached hair when they finally widened the camera angle, but Barringer wasn't even on -screen till the very end.

Comment

Ron Pickering. Tons of information and a ton of passion. In retrospect, we were spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                              Ron Pickering. Tons of information and a ton of passion. In retrospect, we were spoiled.
                              Right now, as in yesterdays telecast and the one's in the future.

Tiger was on yesterday making a comeback to win Jack's tournament, I was watching that also. The Cubs were also on, my hometown team. 8-)
                              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                                Right now, as in yesterdays telecast and the one's in the future.
                                Right now that is the style I'd like to hear. I guess what I'm saying is maybe they are gone. Or very rare.

On a related note. Do we really need to see these guys in the booth? That is wasted air time in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X