Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to announcing candidate, former miler?
    http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?p=90012

Comment

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tom Hammond. He is smooth, looks fine and has a very pleasing sound to his voice. He does his job admirably.

Dwight is awesome and Ato is refreshing.

The rest need to be sent packing.

There has to be some female out there that can add something to the mix that was not an athlete herself, but knows a lot about the sport. There is one out there, believe me. Every sport has one.
      "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Spickard
        If calling an event intelligently and expecting something from your audience doesn't work, then why has Tour de France coverage on Versus become so popular? Oh, wait, those are British voices too.

Versus took a chance that people might actually want to look into this thing (cycling) if we simply broadcast it intelligently. Despite the doping, despite the four hour event (every night, practically!) despite the British voices and the prevalence of so many skinny non-Americans, people are tuning in. It's not going to get NFL ratings, but it's doing much better than track, and it's doing it BECAUSE of the way it's being broadcast.

THIS CAN WORK FOR TRACK TOO! WHERE IS OUR PHIL LIGGETT?
        This is soooo much a matter of taste. I remember a couple of years back we had a thread in praise of Liggett so I tuned in to the Tour (or something) to give a critical listen and I was left absolutely cold. Thought he brought nothing to the proceedings that was appealing (other than for Americans who like Masterpiece Theater because of the "class" that a Britsh accent has.)

Comment

• Originally posted by gh
          Originally posted by Spickard
          If calling an event intelligently and expecting something from your audience doesn't work, then why has Tour de France coverage on Versus become so popular? Oh, wait, those are British voices too.

Versus took a chance that people might actually want to look into this thing (cycling) if we simply broadcast it intelligently. Despite the doping, despite the four hour event (every night, practically!) despite the British voices and the prevalence of so many skinny non-Americans, people are tuning in. It's not going to get NFL ratings, but it's doing much better than track, and it's doing it BECAUSE of the way it's being broadcast.

THIS CAN WORK FOR TRACK TOO! WHERE IS OUR PHIL LIGGETT?
          This is soooo much a matter of taste. I remember a couple of years back we had a thread in praise of Liggett so I tuned in to the Tour (or something) to give a critical listen and I was left absolutely cold. Thought he brought nothing to the proceedings that was appealing (other than for Americans who like Masterpiece Theater because of the "class" that a Britsh accent has.)
          In all fairness to the Brits, I remember the BBC Documentary on Ohio State football in 1978, which was OUTSTANDING. You had the big, "BBC accent" (I forgot the narrator's name, great job), getting a de Tocqevilleian perspective on American football, and insight into the great Woody Hayes, THE cussin' coach of the Buckeyes!!!!!!!

As for the Tour de France, remember the 80s, when big, American baritone John Tesh brought to life the Greg Lamond/Bernard Hinault rivalry???? Hate him all you want, but Tesh single-handedly got CBS great ratings!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X