Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Wariner running at Pre?

I initially heard JW was running the 300 at Pre. Now i look at the June 4th start list and his name is not there. Dooes anyone know? What about Allyson Felix, Walter Dix , or Tyson Gay? Anyone got the latest?

Dix is in; the other three are adidas athletes (very few of those run in the Pre meet).

Comment

Gay and/or Powell may contest Pre; Gay's participation depends on how he feels after last week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... clash.html

"He would really like to run at Prefontaine," Wetmore was quoted as saying. "It’s all a question of if he feels like he is ready to run next weekend.

"He is feeling pretty good about things and I think he now does want to get one in. His heart is telling him he should go race, (but) his head is telling him ‘just be careful here.
      ’"
      http://www.world-track.org/?p=811

Comment

re: walter dix

Dix is in-does this mean there was a favorable outcome to his mediation? I never did hear how this ended up.

Comment

Re: re: walter dix

Originally posted by bigdrakefan
          Dix is in-does this mean there was a favorable outcome to his mediation? I never did hear how this ended up.
          As a Nike meet, this event might be required and if the agent did not allow it, it would lead to termination. Similarly, the agent has no control over USATF/WCs and possibly WAF Final

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            As a Nike meet, this event might be required and if the agent did not allow it, it would lead to termination. Similarly, the agent has no control over USATF/WCs and possibly WAF Final
            Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Dix is in; the other three are adidas athletes (very few of those run in the Pre meet).
              You mean Dix is in the 100 right??? That's what the USATF site is showing....

Comment

Originally posted by BE
                Originally posted by 26mi235
                Fiction
                What part is fiction. I was giving a scenario (a guess only, not presented as 'fact' or 'it is almost certain that this is the case') of why he might be running in this meet and not in others. Possibly, as a Nike meet it is part of his contract obligations to Nike. It is also possible the agent is not allowed to interfere with this obligation and doing so would provide the athlete grounds to get out of his contract.

Do we have any more information on the status of that dispute and the implications for Dix and competition?

Comment

no update on the dispute; I believe that competing in Pre is part of all Nike contracts (domestic ones at least).

Comment

Little naive me had never considered that the brand of shoes worn by an athlete (or, more accurately,the brand of shoes with which the athlete is contracted) would determine participation in the Pre Meet!

Comment

Guess we got our answer!! He's not on the start list!

Comment

Gay is out, according to today's R-G. He entertained racing in the 100, but felt exhausted after his 200 in NY and decided not to run this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                          Gay is out, according to today's R-G. He entertained racing in the 100, but felt exhausted after his 200 in NY and decided not to run this weekend.
                          I know I am not world class and therefore cannot fully relate to Tyson, but how the heck do you get exhausted running 200 meters? Galen Rupp, Bernard Lagat, etc. can do a 5,000 10,000 or 1,500 and 5,000 in a matter of a couple of days sometimes with heats and Gay can't take a week off after a single 200 meters and go again? :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                            I know I am not world class and therefore cannot fully relate to Tyson, but how the heck do you get exhausted running 200 meters? Galen Rupp, Bernard Lagat, etc. can do a 5,000 10,000 or 1,500 and 5,000 in a matter of a couple of days sometimes with heats and Gay can't take a week off after a single 200 meters and go again? :roll:
                            The fatigue related to running the number 3 performance all time in a sprint event would be mostly central nervous system related. By the accounts I've heard, the legs and the entire body for that matter, can feel very heavy for a number of days after such a performance. It could take quite a while to fully recover from such a performance-perhaps as much as 7-10 days is prescribed.

Comment

exactly

Originally posted by cladthin
                              Originally posted by odelltrclan
                              The fatigue related to running the number 3 performance all time in a sprint event would be mostly central nervous system related. By the accounts I've heard, the legs and the entire body for that matter, can feel very heavy for a number of days after such a performance. It could take quite a while to fully recover from such a performance-perhaps as much as 7-10 days is prescribed.
                              cladthin - you are correct.

sprinting at a high level of intensity, particularly given it was Gay's first all-out effort for the year, and that it was the 3rd fastest effort in history, means that he is likely to be physically (i.e., central nervous system - shot, blown out) for at least 3-4 days after race.

Gay is not into his competition rhythm for the year yet. it's true that sprinters can run rounds, and run 2-3 world class competitions per week, but that is only after they have hit that plateau of sharpness - you have to gradually work into this kind of fitness. you have to carefully work the body, and the central nervous system into this state of readiness and resilliancy.

if Gay feels flat in practice leading up to a 100 at Pre, one that is a loaded, high pressure field, he risks getting hurt badly.

Gay is smart to play it safe, let his body and mind recover, and gradually wind himself up for the Nationals. He could go do a real low-key, small, zero pressure meet somewhere, to do a time trial essentially, where he strictly focuses on executing technique and gives it a 95% effort. he'd probably still run 10.05 - 10.10 in this condition, but stay well within himself, stay safe, and use it to build towards nationals.

remember as well that Gay has a pass in both the 100 and 200, so he can use the first 2 rounds of the 100 at nationals to execute technique and race plan, and sharpen himself up - after some careful rest after a brilliant, but probably shocking to his body, 200 at Reebok..

comprende?

most folks don't understand just how stressful it is on the body to run that bloody fast. Gay was probably in ice-buckets and on the massage table to 2-3 days after Reebok.

Comment

Working...
                              X