Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curtis Beach doing a dekatreísathlon! (gets HSR)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtis Beach doing a dekatreísathlon! (gets HSR)

13 events at the Great Southwest starting today. He's gonna do regular HS decathlon, but also throw the bigger shot and disc and run the hurdles twice!

As was noted on another thread, he's a second-tier slacker. :roll:

Comment

Is he doing the extra three events in an order that would permit recognition of a "full senior" decathlon mark? And if so, will we let him produce two recognized scores for the two different decathlons despite only doing seven of the events once? (One would think so.)

Comment

that's the plan as far as I know

Comment

Entries only show him in the Dec & 2 relays. Edit: Oops, I get it.

Comment

Quick. Someone go get a hammer, both 12 and 16 pounder.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95
              Is he doing the extra three events in an order that would permit recognition of a "full senior" decathlon mark? And if so, will we let him produce two recognized scores for the two different decathlons despite only doing seven of the events once? (One would think so.)
              What about the 39" vs 42" hurdles?

Comment

After 4 events, Beach on pace to beat both records. Was more than 10ft behind what Brigham did with the big shot, but was way better in the other three events (and will have a killer 400 to finish the day).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Was more than 10ft behind what Brigham did with the big shot
                  That's good news. That's one of the most 'fixable' events in college, as he gets bigger and stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                    What about the 39" vs 42" hurdles?
                    He'll run in two different sections (first and last one assumes).

Comment

I forgot about the shot, hurdle and disc specs were different! Big Duuuuh on my part!!!!!!!!

I like this kid's drive and vision. I was gonna suggest train on them specs during summer and do it next year at Duke, but this guy wants to go to Berlin NOW!

Dumb question. Has any USA high schooler ever gone to WC's or OG's? Youngest guys I could think of are Liquori (Mex City) and Steve Lewis (Seoul), but they weren't HS.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
                        Dumb question. Has any USA high schooler ever gone to WC's or OG's? Youngest guys I could think of are Liquori (Mex City) and Steve Lewis (Seoul), but they weren't HS.
                        Jonlam may be the most recent on the guys' side. (McTear made the team the same year but did not compete.)

Was Matthias still a prep when he won his first gold?

And of course, Ryun between his junior and senior years.

Comment

As I recall there have been a couple of dozen (although not so many in recent years). Casey Carrigan and Rey Brown both made the '68 team between their junior and senior years.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
                            Was Matthias still a prep when he won his first gold?
                            And of course, Ryun between his junior and senior years.
                            Actually, LOTS of HSers have done it, and yes, Matthias had not yet entered college.

Comment

Beach's first day (with Albuquerque altitude):

23-7¼
                              43-4½/36-1¼
                              6-8¼

(sorry, no meters given and I'm too lazy to run conversions at this point)

4006 first day with the big shot is a first-day record (Brigham 3937)

Beach is actually 2 points behind his first-day from Arcadia with the small shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X