Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is motivation in short supply at Texas State?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is motivation in short supply at Texas State?

story now on front page about how State a welcome end to a long season. Includes this:

<<..."It's definitely been a long season," said West Orange-Stark boys track coach Toby Foreman. "The extra couple of weeks made it tough on the kids. My team likes to run but it's not everybody's favorite sport. So it was a challenge at times keeping everybody's interest for the remainder of the season."...>> (boldface mine)

Story also notes temps may approach triple digits!

Re: is motivation in short supply at Texas State?

Originally posted by gh
    Story also notes temps may approach triple digits!
    Ouch! I notice that the CA meet lucks out this year. Peak temp is supposed to be 76 in a town that could easily be triple numbers this time of year.

Comment

One local athlete (a defending state champion) is skipping the meet to go to graduation.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /906050324

The field appears wide open, with the defending champ from Saginaw and state-record holder Donique Flemings reportedly skipping the meet for graduation, and another top contender now in 5A at Dallas Sunset.

Comment

The high is supposed to be 93 both days. More hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
          The high is supposed to be 93 both days. More hyperbole.

Not necessarily. That will easily be over 100 on the track.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

C'mon guys. Hot starts at 105F, 108 if there is a breeze and the Texas track is on hill open to a prevailing south wind.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
              One local athlete (a defending state champion) is skipping the meet to go to graduation.

The field appears wide open, with the defending champ from Saginaw and state-record holder Donique Flemings reportedly skipping the meet for graduation, and another top contender now in 5A at Dallas Sunset.
              This has happened before, and I've never understood it. Do they think that if they don't show up at the ceremony, they won't be graduated? It's just a piece of paper--they can mail it to you, or you can go in a few days later and pick it up. But you can't run the State meet any other time than when it's run.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                Originally posted by donley2

This has happened before, and I've never understood it. Do they think that if they don't show up at the ceremony, they won't be graduated? It's just a piece of paper--they can mail it to you, or you can go in a few days later and pick it up. But you can't run the State meet any other time than when it's run.
                They know that, some kids want to be in the atmosphere, the whole ceremony of the moment(graduation), that's a once in a lifetime opportunity also and obviously it's felt this is more important than running at state.
                on the road

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  My team likes to run but it's not everybody's favorite sport. So it was a challenge at times keeping everybody's interest for the remainder of the season."
                  Your motivation for T&F is commendable, but you are in the top .0000001% (give or take a 0) of people who give a rat's fanny about the sport, INCLUDING its active competitors. I'm given all sorts of cockamamie excuses why a kid can't be in a meet. My 'favorite', so far, is: I'm getting my nails done that day . . . and it was from a BOY! :shock:

Comment

Are you sure?

Comment

Are you sure?
                      We're not allowed to check . . . :twisted:

Comment

To put the state meet versus graduation thing in a more realistic context. How many relatives do you think might consider driving in from 3 hours away to watch graduation? On the other hand how many would drive 3 hours to watch a relative in the state track meet? Regardless of what the kid thinks they also pick up on what those around them think are important and I would wager the biggest percentage would consider the graduation more important.

Comment

The graduation is more important, but the ceremony isn't. In contrast to the ceremony, the meet is part of the accomplishment. IMHO (The only graduation ceremony I cared about was the last one, because it took so long to get there.)

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                            The graduation is more important, but the ceremony isn't. In contrast to the ceremony, the meet is part of the accomplishment. IMHO (The only graduation ceremony I cared about was the last one, because it took so long to get there.)
                            The graduation is part of the ceremony, that's why some kids skip state. Really it's simple, what they (the kids) deem as important to them and their family.
                            on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                              Originally posted by 26mi235
                              The graduation is part of the ceremony, that's why some kids skip state. Really it's simple, what they (the kids) deem as important to them and their family.
                              I'm glad my HS graduation was a week before the State meet...of course that was a loooonnnngggg time ago. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X