Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is motivation in short supply at Texas State?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't go to my college graduation. I had a chance to be in the German Navy for 6 weeks and jumped at it. My parents didn't seem to mind at all. I got the diploma in the mail when I came back, and frankly, I had forgotten all about it. It's in a box somewhere - haven't seen it in the ensuing 36 ( :shock: !) years. I really don't see the big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
      Originally posted by Speedfirst
      Originally posted by 26mi235
      The graduation is more important, but the ceremony isn't. In contrast to the ceremony, the meet is part of the accomplishment. IMHO (The only graduation ceremony I cared about was the last one, because it took so long to get there.)
      The graduation is part of the ceremony, that's why some kids skip state. Really it's simple, what they (the kids) deem as important to them and their family.
      I'm glad my HS graduation was a week before the State meet...of course that was a loooonnnngggg time ago. :lol:
      Yeah my graduation didn't impact state, state was before graduation, but I did miss prom for state, a no brainer for me, many years ago.

P.S. That worked out, I didn't have to make a decision about which girl to take...LOL
      on the road

Comment

Tough decision.

I wonder if scouts are at state looking at someone for a scholarship. If a runner can get a college ride based on a good state mark, then it is understandable why he/she skips graduation.

If family are coming from hundreds, or thousands of miles to attend graduation, then missing state is understandable, too.

Athlete has to weigh both, make a choice and let the family, friends and coaches know!

Comment

In this particular case Donique Flemings has already signed with Texas A&M. Now if there was a potential college scholarship on the line then I would think everyone involved would probably understand skipping the graduation ceremony.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
            Originally posted by 26mi235
            The graduation is more important, but the ceremony isn't. In contrast to the ceremony, the meet is part of the accomplishment. IMHO (The only graduation ceremony I cared about was the last one, because it took so long to get there.)
            The graduation is part of the ceremony, that's why some kids skip state. Really it's simple, what they (the kids) deem as important to them and their family.
            I'm glad my HS graduation was a week before the State meet...of course that was a loooonnnngggg time ago. :lol:
            Yeah my graduation didn't impact state, state was before graduation, but I did miss prom for state, a no brainer for me, many years ago.

P.S. That worked out, I didn't have to make a decision about which girl to take...LOL
            I had no Senior Prom as I graduated the day before so technically I was a HS grad @ the Prom... :lol:

Comment

Two of the top pole vaulters in CA are skipping State for graduation. Judging by the quotes I read, it seems like they were pretty concerned about missing the grad party :roll:

Comment

wasn't State meet but it was the GWI - in the day when that was THE post season meet. Know a guy who passed that up to go to the graduation party. And he was favored to win his event with possible natl record.

Comment

Working...
                X