Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is motivation in short supply at Texas State?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no one
    replied
    wasn't State meet but it was the GWI - in the day when that was THE post season meet. Know a guy who passed that up to go to the graduation party. And he was favored to win his event with possible natl record.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Two of the top pole vaulters in CA are skipping State for graduation. Judging by the quotes I read, it seems like they were pretty concerned about missing the grad party :roll:

Leave a comment:

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by ndamix
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    The graduation is more important, but the ceremony isn't. In contrast to the ceremony, the meet is part of the accomplishment. IMHO (The only graduation ceremony I cared about was the last one, because it took so long to get there.)
    The graduation is part of the ceremony, that's why some kids skip state. Really it's simple, what they (the kids) deem as important to them and their family.
    I'm glad my HS graduation was a week before the State meet...of course that was a loooonnnngggg time ago. :lol:
    Yeah my graduation didn't impact state, state was before graduation, but I did miss prom for state, a no brainer for me, many years ago.

P.S. That worked out, I didn't have to make a decision about which girl to take...LOL
    I had no Senior Prom as I graduated the day before so technically I was a HS grad @ the Prom... :lol:

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    In this particular case Donique Flemings has already signed with Texas A&M. Now if there was a potential college scholarship on the line then I would think everyone involved would probably understand skipping the graduation ceremony.

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Tough decision.

I wonder if scouts are at state looking at someone for a scholarship. If a runner can get a college ride based on a good state mark, then it is understandable why he/she skips graduation.

If family are coming from hundreds, or thousands of miles to attend graduation, then missing state is understandable, too.

Athlete has to weigh both, make a choice and let the family, friends and coaches know!

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by ndamix
    The graduation is more important, but the ceremony isn't. In contrast to the ceremony, the meet is part of the accomplishment. IMHO (The only graduation ceremony I cared about was the last one, because it took so long to get there.)
    The graduation is part of the ceremony, that's why some kids skip state. Really it's simple, what they (the kids) deem as important to them and their family.
    I'm glad my HS graduation was a week before the State meet...of course that was a loooonnnngggg time ago. :lol:
    Yeah my graduation didn't impact state, state was before graduation, but I did miss prom for state, a no brainer for me, many years ago.

P.S. That worked out, I didn't have to make a decision about which girl to take...LOL

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I didn't go to my college graduation. I had a chance to be in the German Navy for 6 weeks and jumped at it. My parents didn't seem to mind at all. I got the diploma in the mail when I came back, and frankly, I had forgotten all about it. It's in a box somewhere - haven't seen it in the ensuing 36 ( :shock: !) years. I really don't see the big deal.

Leave a comment:

• ndamix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    To put the state meet versus graduation thing in a more realistic context. How many relatives do you think might consider driving in from 3 hours away to watch graduation? On the other hand how many would drive 3 hours to watch a relative in the state track meet? Regardless of what the kid thinks they also pick up on what those around them think are important and I would wager the biggest percentage would consider the graduation more important.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Are you sure?
    We're not allowed to check . . . :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Are you sure?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    My team likes to run but it's not everybody's favorite sport. So it was a challenge at times keeping everybody's interest for the remainder of the season."
    This has happened before, and I've never understood it. Do they think that if they don't show up at the ceremony, they won't be graduated? It's just a piece of paper--they can mail it to you, or you can go in a few days later and pick it up. But you can't run the State meet any other time than when it's run.
    Your motivation for T&F is commendable, but you are in the top .0000001% (give or take a 0) of people who give a rat's fanny about the sport, INCLUDING its active competitors. I'm given all sorts of cockamamie excuses why a kid can't be in a meet. My 'favorite', so far, is: I'm getting my nails done that day . . . and it was from a BOY! :shock:

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by donley2
    One local athlete (a defending state champion) is skipping the meet to go to graduation.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /906050324

The field appears wide open, with the defending champ from Saginaw and state-record holder Donique Flemings reportedly skipping the meet for graduation, and another top contender now in 5A at Dallas Sunset.
    This has happened before, and I've never understood it. Do they think that if they don't show up at the ceremony, they won't be graduated? It's just a piece of paper--they can mail it to you, or you can go in a few days later and pick it up. But you can't run the State meet any other time than when it's run.
    They know that, some kids want to be in the atmosphere, the whole ceremony of the moment(graduation), that's a once in a lifetime opportunity also and obviously it's felt this is more important than running at state.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X