Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNOFFICIAL: 35:02 HSR for Wyatt in Heats!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNOFFICIAL: 35:02 HSR for Wyatt in Heats!

You can follow the live scoreboard:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/s_laughlin/l ... /index.htm

Results:

http://www.sml1.com/recordtiming/cif2009/

Wow!!!!!

Comment

Re: UNOFFICIAL: 35:02 HSR for Wyatt in Heats!

Originally posted by dl
      2 1/2 seconds ahead of the next qualifier, that is just wrong!!!!! 8-)

Comment

The youth movement in the US intermediates continues unabated.

Comment

Re: UNOFFICIAL: 35:02 HSR for Wyatt in Heats!

Originally posted by odelltrclan
          Originally posted by dl
          2 1/2 seconds ahead of the next qualifier, that is just wrong!!!!! 8-)
          At least he was still on the same lap... :wink: If it had been some of the other states it might have been 5 seconds.

Comment

Some notes on Reggie's race -

The last two weeks, under less than ideal conditions, RW had to deal with stride problems, and hadn't adjusted well when his pattern gets off. (Several instances of him chopping significantly to get to 13 strides!)

Tonight's race was obviously a record attempt. The wind was fairly calm, the weather was nice and warm, and he had almost two hours since his (very easy) heat in the 400. Out of the blocks, I would say he was about 1 1/2 meters behind the runners on either side, but he caught up quickly.

Tonight, his hurdling for seven flights was superb. I didn't count strides, so I don't know if he was making 12 strides or not. At hurdle seven, he had to reach a bit, rather than chop. And at 8, he just ran through the hurdle. All out effort to the finish, including a lunge and lean at the tape.

It had to be frustrating to be so close to a sub-35, but I don't think he will go faster tomorrow. He'll have a lot less recovery time from a much harder 400.

Just for arcane statistical history, I had him through 100 and 200 in 11.4 and 22.7, respectively. (If Jack Shepard had been here, we would have had hurdle touchdown times.) I don't remember for sure, but I think Jeshua Anderson had gone through 200 in 22.7 in his 35.28.

It was a great race - and one a number of us have been waiting for since he first ran 37.4 as a ninth grader.

Comment

Truly a superb effort. Off to a slow start, he faced a slight headwind for the first 100 meters, but by 10 meters into the curve he was already running by himself. He was flowing, but appeared to have something left; he was certainly not exhausted after the finish. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Other notables: Jelmini's State MR in the WSP (followed by a huge sector foul) and an all-time sophomore best in the WDT by Alex Collatz (Stockdale).

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95
                (Several instances of him chopping significantly to get to 13 strides!) . . . so I don't know if he was making 12 strides or not.
                :shock: :!: REALLY?! If this is true, he's the next 46-second 400Her for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  (Several instances of him chopping significantly to get to 13 strides!) . . . so I don't know if he was making 12 strides or not.
                  he'll have to learn how not to chop. Mike Kennedy made the interesting observation that because Reggie doesn't run the highs, he hasn't yet learned how to make stride adjustments as well as he might. But eventually he should learn, as the Surgeons have developed some good long hurdlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    he'll have to learn how not to chop.
                    So did he alternate in this race? The other one I saw of him he didn't (but should have). If he has to chop to get 13 (I'm having a hard time with that), and he can alternate, the WR is just a matter of conditioning - and it could happen sooner than later!

Comment

Just watched the race on Dyestat. Wyatt 13-stepped through hurdle 7 (overstriding quite a bit to reach it for the 6th and 7th) and then adjusted nicely (no stutter) for 14-steps at hurdle 8. Great speed and control on this kid, and an incredible boost for USC next year. Only downside is that his dominant lead-leg is his right, which forces him to the outside on the curves and adds distance (however minimal) to his race. Doesn't seem too out of control, though, leading with his left, so maybe he can be taught to use it around the curves. Will be exciting to watch in the future.

BTW, I feel kind of bad for Jeshua Anderson, whose amazing record only lasted for 2 years - after it broke George Porter's record that had stood for 22 years!

Comment

Reggie Wyatt is an amazing athlete, the kid is 6'5 fast a gazelle and strong as a bull. I always thought that the 300 record was kind of 'weak' and this performance cements that even more so in my mind. I think the record is where it should be now.

BTW, I always thought RG3 could have ran 34.9x had he stayed in HS his whole senior year.

But Reggie Wyatt now has the best class times for freshman, sophomore, and senior.........thats really amazing. In Cali he owns ALL class records.

Comment

Working...
                        X