X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario high school hurdles...

a 13.36, how high?

http://www.orleansonline.ca/pages/S2009060601.htm

Looking at several Canuck sites, I'm 99.9% sure Canadian preps run the same 39" USA boys run - certainly you've dealt with this before, no?

Comment

Incoming word from Canukian bud is 36". No online cite yet.

Comment

Yep, they are 36" hurdles. They used to be 39". I think the Interscholastic Record is 13.78 over the 39" hurdles.

Comment

Time to lock this thread.........since it's 36"...LOL
          on the road

Comment

Well. . . ops:. . . I guess that's the 1 in 1000 times I'm wrong! :wink:

Comment

yeah always better to guess wrong than not answer at all.

Comment

Canada does not keep national high school records. If someone says they have records I can assure you they are probably very inaccurate. More than likely they are all marks from Ontario. :roll: :x

In fact many Canadian records for youths are completely off. Rather than include incredible marks done by at say the 1976 Olympics (Glenda Reiser and Julie Whyte being the most notables) Athletics Canada's writes them off because they were done before the new Youth category was established. :roll: :roll: :roll: World class performances done not at a rinky dink unsanctioned meet-the Olympics!

It is appalling and a complete lack of respect to the incredible young athletes who achieved marks no one has come close to. We have tried and tried to get AC to wake up and include records that are very easy to verify but nope.

So that article says he set a CDN HS record . He ran an excellent time which probably would be a record if we kept those records....... :?

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                  Canada does not keep national high school records.
                  Then it's time that a Canuck stat group forms and compiles them the way T&FN has for the USA. That's unforgivable. Get on that, mojo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by mojo
                    Canada does not keep national high school records.
                    Then it's time that a Canuck stat group forms and compiles them the way T&FN has for the USA. That's unforgivable. Get on that, mojo!!!
                    Stas are not my thing. I am sure DH could go through these so called records (where ever they may be be) and find loads of marks that better them. I am not saying in the hurdles but in many events.
                    What is the point? Nothing would be done.

Oh and here in BC those would be 39" hurdles -I don't know what they are in Ontario.

If someone has a link to "Canadian Inter Scholastic records" I would love to see it.

Comment

here's at least a starting place

http://www.athleticsalberta.com/UserFil ... ecords.pdf

Comment

Thanks Marlow. I have never seen that before. Neither has DH.

Just glancing at it I would say those are pretty accurate-in that I can not think of any BC performaces that beat any of them and they are excellent marks.

No one out here ever talks about Canadian HS records and as you can see that list has not been updated although again I think those are probably quite accurate.
                        I still am not sure about the hurdle heights in Ontario. DH is saying senior boys out there run 39" just as we do. That is a hell of a time if it is over the 39".

Comment

I fully agree with Mojo (and DH), that there should be an accurate and updated set of Canadian High School Records. One of the historical complications is that our most populous Province, Ontario, has included Grade 13 athletes, up until recently. And our 2nd most populous Province, Quebec, has had most athletes graduate from their HS system in Grade 11. And the rest are mostly Grade 12-based. I believe that is one of the prime difficulties in coming up with a "valid" list of records and top performances.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                            I fully agree with Mojo (and DH), that there should be an accurate and updated set of Canadian High School Records. One of the historical complications is that our most populous Province, Ontario, has included Grade 13 athletes, up until recently. And our 2nd most populous Province, Quebec, has had most athletes graduate from their HS system in Grade 11. And the rest are mostly Grade 12-based. I believe that is one of the prime difficulties in coming up with a "valid" list of records and top performances.
                            Here's a silly question: when I was a teen and went to Germany, I was astounded to find out that HSs rarely had T&F teams - that kids joined town clubs and competed there. Is that ever the situation in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                              Actually we are concerned about the Youth category records not high school marks per se.

It gets confusing because "high school records" are usually thought to be marks done at provincial HS champs. We don't have a national HS championship- something which would be very cool IMHO but logistically VERY difficult to achieve.
                              Also AC doesn't keep "high school" records just IAAF age category ones ( Youth/Junior/Senior).

DH and I are saying that IF you are going to start keeping Youth category records (and we have grave misgivings about the whole Youth World champs etc.) then at least count the great performances out there. Just because Reiser ran 4:05 before there was an offical Youth category does not mean the record should be 15 friggin seconds slower (4:20.64)

DH has documented over 15 mistakes. Here are some:

Women's HJ- current record-1.80 should be 1.87

Women's 1500m 4:20.64 should be 4:06.7 (done at another little meet in Germany in 1972)

Women's 800m current record is 2:07.52-should be Reiser's 2:05.20 (also done at that rinky dink meet in Germany in 1972)

Women's 400m-54.0 should be 52.95

Men's 400m -48.29 should be Shane Niemi's 46.69

Men's 800m is 1:51 ahould be Sully's 1:49

There are many more.

I will leave it with this. DH's intial contact with AC was about Julie Whyte's 1.87 HJ done at age 16 at the Olympics in Montreal. He said "Julie's mark done in Montreal in 1976". Reply:-"what meet in Montreal in 1976?"

Sad.

Many of the marks we know of were set at major meets like the Pan Am Juniors, Ontario champs etc. And it is hilarious that they are provincial records but not national ones!

Sorry for the rant but I would like to think the sport is run by people who have a passion and commitment to the history and the future of this great sport. I am left wondering many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X