Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by rasb
    I fully agree with Mojo (and DH), that there should be an accurate and updated set of Canadian High School Records. One of the historical complications is that our most populous Province, Ontario, has included Grade 13 athletes, up until recently. And our 2nd most populous Province, Quebec, has had most athletes graduate from their HS system in Grade 11. And the rest are mostly Grade 12-based. I believe that is one of the prime difficulties in coming up with a "valid" list of records and top performances.
    Here's a silly question: when I was a teen and went to Germany, I was astounded to find out that HSs rarely had T&F teams - that kids joined town clubs and competed there. Is that ever the situation in Canada?
    I know that to be true in Germany. They have an extremely strong club system.

We are a mix here. Most high schools offer track as a sport ;if they don't it is because there is no teacher willing to volunteer to take it on. We have some very strong high school teams though (strong for up here!)
    So club kids compete for their high school at high school meets and club meets on the weekends. After the high school champs, recently held in most provinces, the club kids continue on through the summer. High school kids who want to compete in the summer usually join a club.

I do remember when the US had many strong clubs. I used to love reading about all the girls clubs results in Women's Track and Field magazine (it was so weird that back then there were girls only clubs-usually with names ending it "ettes". Never happened up here).

What do kids do down there once the high school season is over and they want to keep competing? I know there are still clubs but they sure seem to be have dropped in numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
      What do kids do down there once the high school season is over and they want to keep competing? I know there are still clubs but they sure seem to be have dropped in numbers.
      They just enter meets as individuals. There's USATF Jr. Olympics, AAU Jr. Olympics, Hershey Games and various and sundry other age-group meets.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
        They just enter meets as individuals. There's USATF Jr. Olympics, AAU Jr. Olympics, Hershey Games and various and sundry other age-group meets.
        So is it true that some places simply have no clubs? (I don't mean podunk little towns but major centers?)

So does their HS coach coach them? Do they have to pay their own fees, transportation etc. Our kids love being in a club-they have a support system for the administative and coaching side and each other for comaraderie.

We are always surprised and disappointed at how few summer meets there are in the US -we would love to get some new comp for our kids but can find very few offerings that are suitable. With few clubs around no can organize them I guess.

I think a strong club system is fantastic and very good for the sport. Certainly would keep the participation levels up.

DH tells me that in the 60's they were always having dual and tri meets against American clubs. It was a lot of fun according to him.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
          I fully agree with Mojo (and DH), that there should be an accurate and updated set of Canadian High School Records. One of the historical complications is that our most populous Province, Ontario, has included Grade 13 athletes, up until recently. And our 2nd most populous Province, Quebec, has had most athletes graduate from their HS system in Grade 11. And the rest are mostly Grade 12-based. I believe that is one of the prime difficulties in coming up with a "valid" list of records and top performances.
          Here's a silly question: when I was a teen and went to Germany, I was astounded to find out that HSs rarely had T&F teams - that kids joined town clubs and competed there. Is that ever the situation in Canada?
          gh's high school in British Columbia had no track team (despite putting two people on the '64 Canadian Olympic team)..... totally club based, and when the track season rolled around, the PE teacher worked with the local club coach to put together a team for the regional championships.

Our high school (like most others in that part of the world) cared not a whit about athletic programs, only in academics. Quelle horreur! What a concept!

Comment

Looking at several Canuck sites, I'm 99.9% sure Canadian preps run the same 39" USA boys run - certainly you've dealt with this before, no?
            I think it varies by province. BC runs 39".

Comment

http://www.ofsaa.on.ca/championships...ld_results.pdf

Confirmation that height was 36" and is noted as "NEW" (assuming the records to have been set with 39" height)

Event 78 Men 110 Meter Hurdles (NEW-36") Senior

OFSAA: ! 13.86 2006 Jamie Ryder - Sir Fredrick Banting
              Can Inter: 13.78 2000 Adam Kunkel - Walkerton DSS, W

Name Year School Finals Wind
              Finals
              1 Oluwasegun Makinde Colonel By S 13.36! 1.6
              2 Gregory MacNeill Mother Teres 13.43! 1.6
              3 Leo Nichol Applewood Ht 13.77! 1.6
              4 Townsend Benard Laura Secord 13.91 1.6
              5 Brandon Wilson Pickering HS 13.95 1.6
              6 Ingvar Moseley Pickering HS 14.33 1.6
              7 Daniel Chan Uhs - Markham 14.74 1.6