Derek Miles
    Jacob Pauli
    Tim Mack
    Giovanni Lanaro (Mexico)
    Daichi Sawano (Japan)
    Jeremy Scott

Live updates here! http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17923

Comment

Only 3 pass 5.41. NH for Miles, Lanaro, Sawano and Pauli. Very disapointing.

Comment

Jeng the only one over 5.51. Wind seems not helping.

Comment

Flash Results, Inc.
          2009 Prefontaine Classic Grand Prix - 6/7/2009
          Eugene, OR

Event 1 Men Pole Vault
          ================================================== ===========
          Starting Ht: 5.41, 5.51, 5.61, 5.71, 5.76, 5.81, +5 cm
          World: W 6.14m 1994 Sergey Bubka, Ukraine
          American: A 6.04m 2008 Brad Walker
          Hayward: H 6.04m 2008 Brad Walker, USA
          Prefontaine: P 6.04m 2008 Brad Walker, USA
          All-Comer: @ 6.04m 6/8/2008 Brad Walker, USA
          Name Year Team Finals
          ================================================== ===========
          Finals
          1 Alhaji Jeng Sweden 5.51m 18-01.00
          5.41 5.51 5.61 5.71
          O XXO PPP X
          2 Jeremy Scott USA 5.41m 17-09.00
          5.41 5.51
          XXO XXX
          2 Tim Mack USA 5.41m 17-09.00
          5.41 5.51
          XXO XX
          -- Derek Miles USA NH
          XXX
          -- Jacob Pauli USA NH
          XXX
          -- Daichi Sawano Japan NH
          XXX
          -- Giovanni Lanaro Mexico NH
          XXX

Comment

I was really surprised how bad the PV was. I got there just before the actual competition began so I missed them changing runways/direction at the end of warm ups.

Even then, the headwind didn't seem particularly bad but everyone had a really lousy day. Very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
              I was really surprised how bad the PV was. I got there just before the actual competition began so I missed them changing runways/direction at the end of warm ups.

Even then, the headwind didn't seem particularly bad but everyone had a really lousy day. Very disappointing.
              They changed runways before warmups started, or at least well before warmups ended.

The problem with the wind was it was not consistent. It was like hit a big headwind, barely make it in the pit. Next jump, no wind and blow through. Inconsistent wind makes for tough adjustments.

This is one of the few outdoor prize money meets the men have had all year. Mt SAC was probably the other. Drake was moved indoors, and obviously the Drake Relays Mall Vault was indoors.

Comment

Huge tactical error on the vaulters' part to demand the event be run that way. I've been coming to Eugene for 40 years and I can only remember one time where the wind was consistently from the south.

And the headwind was horridly bad at times. Right after Saladino's 28-footer in the long jump I used the wind app on my iPhone (whihc isn't bad) and it said the wind was gusting at 5-6mps. (into the vaulters' faces).

Comment

Only four clearances in 31 vaults and the starting height was not that high for guys of this caliber. It would have been interesting to see Darren Neidermeyer there. Given his size, he might have powered into the wind better than some and 5.51 is not too high for him (although it is even less high for most of these guys).

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Huge tactical error on the vaulters' part to demand the event be run that way. I've been coming to Eugene for 40 years and I can only remember one time where the wind was consistently from the south.

And the headwind was horridly bad at times. Right after Saladino's 28-footer in the long jump I used the wind app on my iPhone (whihc isn't bad) and it said the wind was gusting at 5-6mps. (into the vaulters' faces).
                    Didnt' they try changing directions a couple years ago? If memory serves, that didn't turn out well for most of the jumpers either. I think Lenaro managed to work through it that day and got 5.80.

Comment

Working...
                    X