How are Flanagan and Goucher doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are Flanagan and Goucher doing?

I know it's not easy to maintain top form from year to year--especially on the heels of a great year--so this is not meant as any kind of criticism...but I've noticed that both Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher are not looking sharp. They are running O.K. but not looking stunning and sharp like last year.

Does anyone know what their current status is re: workouts, injuries or whatever? And here's hoping they come around soon to their great form of last year.

For having just run a marathon I thought Goucher looked pretty darn good today in that 2000. 5:41 or 5:42 I think. No track speed sharpness yet. She does not look to me to be having an off year.

Flanagan was not that bad at 4:06 and change, but her last 5k was well below expectations. Too early to tell but some people may say the coaching switch (I thought T&FN mentioned) was not a good idea.

Comment

Goucher is running the marathon at Worlds, so I doubt she's doing any specific track training right now at all. So yeah, she looked pretty good today.

I was wondering if the the Nike-backed meet organizers didn't set up this odd-distance race just for Goucher, just so they could get one of the brand's marquee athletes on the track in an event that fit into her marathon training a bit better than the 1,500.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
        Flanagan was not that bad at 4:06 and change, but her last 5k was well below expectations. Too early to tell but some people may say the coaching switch (I thought T&FN mentioned) was not a good idea.
        I have to wonder if this is not going to end like the Warriner-Hart drama with Flanagan returning to Cook with hat in hand. I'm just not sure John Cook is going to be as forgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by yung4evr
          Originally posted by odelltrclan
          I have to wonder if this is not going to end like the Warriner-Hart drama with Flanagan returning to Cook with her hat in her hand. I'm just not sure John Cook is going to be as forgiving.
          She can't be too bad, she was very close to her PR, maybe a second off of her PB. She stated that she wanted to drop back down to the 1500m's, but after this weekend, that might change. She cannot hang with the likes of a 4:00 miler. Though it would help her 5K ability!

Comment

They are both entered and Flanagan is "qualified" while Goucher is "open"for the 5K & 10K at USAT&F.

Goucher has said that she will double, but I don't know why because she has qualified for WCh. They could both make the team at both events, but I don't know why. Goucher could run 10K, 5K heat & final if she makes it and Marathon at WCh, but why?
            none

Comment

It will be interesting to see what they run at nationals...and how well they do. In the meantime, Barringer and Willard will be fun to watch.

Comment

[quote="I was wondering if the the Nike-backed meet organizers didn't set up this odd-distance race just for Goucher, just so they could get one of the brand's marquee athletes on the track in an event that fit into her marathon training a bit better than the 1,500.[/quote]

They did not. It was originally going to be a 3000m, but from what I heard Jamal wanted a 2000m. Not a bad idea to mix things up with some "off" distances (300, 2000) once in a while.

Comment

Thanks dl.
                  Totally agree about mixing it up. That was good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X