• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Times Weighs in on the Pre

Nice article about the Pre, Eugene and T&F in this country:
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-str ... 206.column

Re: LA Times Weighs in on the Pre

Originally posted by idiot journalist
    Unlike most track meets, some of which slog on from dusk to dawn and even extend for half a week, there weren't any preliminary heats or frivolous competition. Everything counted.
    Well, based on that logic, when has he ever berated the NFL for wasting 17 weeks on the regular season when all you really need is 32>16>8>4>2=5 weeks to get to where "everything counted."

Why praise just another fucking ignorant patronising writer without any real semblance of understanding?

Comment

Re: LA Times Weighs in on the Pre

Originally posted by idiot journalist
      Unlike most track meets
      Most? Is he referring to the once a year Olympic or Worlds? Maybe he means "unlike most I have seen"

Comment

Is he wrong that most domestic meets are WAY too long? Face it: meets like Prefontaine are rare for the US track fan, and not just from a field quality perspective. Short of a few duals, how many other meets are completed in less than 3 hours? Most of our marquis meets - Penn, Drake, Mt. SAC, Texas, etc., are in fact marathon sessions that test the endurance of many of the serious fans, to say nothing of the rare casual fan not there for a family member or friend.

Comment

I guess if he never sees international level meets. Even the US relays have the marquee events in a limited time slot.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
            Is he wrong that most domestic meets are WAY too long? Face it: meets like Prefontaine are rare for the US track fan, and not just from a field quality perspective. Short of a few duals, how many other meets are completed in less than 3 hours? Most of our marquis meets - Penn, Drake, Mt. SAC, Texas, etc., are in fact marathon sessions that test the endurance of many of the serious fans, to say nothing of the rare casual fan not there for a family member or friend.
            Exactly. For better or worse, many folks in the US presume that "track meet" = a several-day ordeal with only intermittent action and lots of unimportant qualifying rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              I guess if he never sees international level meets. Even the US relays have the marquee events in a limited time slot.
              International level meets are not "most track meets"; they are the all-too-rare exceptions, in terms of compact scheduling.

As to your second point, the first Championship of America race on the Saturday at Penn this year was at 1:00pm, with the final USA vs the World race going off at 5:35. If you want to look just at the pro-level races, the USA vs. the World DMR went off at 1:45. Still almost a 4 hour day at the track (note that I'm not necessarily saying that Penn should change, as they obviously get the crowds either way).

Texas Relays is probably a 6 hour day on Saturday to see all of the "premier" events.

Comment

International level meets are not "most track meets"
                From a fan's perspective they would be most meets, wouldn't they? Sure there are tons of other meets but you have to draw the line somewhere.

To use a soccer analogy, Anything less than professional would not really count with regard to a fans perspective. So college and school games would not (should not?) be on the radar.

To me it seems obvious that HS and college meets will be long and Olympic-like and should they really be lumped in as typical from a fans perspective? Those going to such a meet surely appreciate the necessity of the length, primarily they are events aimed at participation not fans. Although it is nice they throw in elite events it is not their reason for existence.

Texas Relays is probably a 6 hour day on Saturday to see all of the "premier" events.
                Well I agree that is not good. I just looked at the Drake schedule, the one I was using as a reference, and their elite events started at 2:30 and finished at 5.

Comment

The soccer analogy is not good. There is no professional league quality circuit of meets available to the average US fan. Depending on where you live there is NOTHING available within an easy drive except high school and college meets. That is what people are familiar with.

Comment

Y'all know how long your typical track meet is, again many die hard fans even complain about that.

So would you expect a casual fan to be any different?
                    on the road

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
                      Depending on where you live there is NOTHING available within an easy drive except high school and college meets. That is what people are familiar with.
                      I think it is a flaw to compare school and college meets to elite meets. Maybe I'm biased by growing up in europe with Pre-like meets being common. By the way it's not like Europeans are all going to track meets. Our experiences are not based on local knowledge but on TV and possibly one live meet a year.

I've noticed that Americans often opine about not having college duel meets to attend, something that would not be on my radar as an exciting meet. Likewise HS and college events don't even expect an audience in Europe. I guess our track cultures are quite different. Or maybe your fans are just never exposed to international track due to TV's lack of interest?

Comment

Texas Relays Schedule , 2009

Wed: Mostly multis 1230 to 1930 M 5000m ( 7 plus hours)
                        Thur: Multis 1100 to 1745 M 4 x 800 Relay (9 plus hours)
                        Friday: 0930 W 4x100 relay to 2145 M 4 x 1500 Relay (13 hours)
                        Sat: 0900: HS Girls PV (Sec B) to 1630 First os eleven 4 x 400s, ending about 1800. ( 9 hours)
                        Total 38 hours for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf

Wed: Mostly multis 1230 to 1930 M 5000m ( 7 plus hours)
                          Thur: Multis 1100 to 1745 M 4 x 800 Relay (9 plus hours)
                          Friday: 0930 W 4x100 relay to 2145 M 4 x 1500 Relay (13 hours)
                          Sat: 0900: HS Girls PV (Sec B) to 1630 First os eleven 4 x 400s, ending about 1800. ( 9 hours)
                          Reminds me of skeet-shooting in Catch-22.

Comment

What is the ratio of participants (including the family of the kids competing) and fans (no connection other than they want to see a track meet)?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                              What is the ratio of participants (including the family of the kids competing) and fans (no connection other than they want to see a track meet)?
                              Like Penn (Jamaicans) and Drake (alums), Texas has a third group to consider - those there purely for the social aspect. Texas Relays is a huge event on the black social calendar in Texas.

www.texasrelays.com

Comment

Working...
                              X