X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Times Weighs in on the Pre

[quote=El Toro]
    Originally posted by "idiot journalist":3oy9y0ul
    Unlike most track meets, some of which slog on from dusk to dawn and even extend for half a week, there weren't any preliminary heats or frivolous competition. Everything counted.
    Well, based on that logic, when has he ever berated the NFL for wasting 17 weeks on the regular season when all you really need is 32>16>8>4>2=5 weeks to get to where "everything counted."

Why praise just another fucking ignorant patronising writer without any real semblance of understanding?[/quote:3oy9y0ul]

Well, for one, this sort of article is GOOD for US T&F. Not sure why you bring the NFL into this; the guy was just trying to say that he enjoyed a compact, well run meet where every race is a final. So do I and, I believe, so do most of the folks who pack Hayward every year for this meet, many of whom are casual fans. The hottest individual tickets for almost any lengthy meet (Olympic Trials, NCAA's, National Championships) are those for the final day or two, when most events are finals. Touching on your football analogy, which NFL ticket is the most coveted (hint: It begins with Super)? I also happen to like longer meets and will attend the NCAA's, National Championships and World's this year and expect to enjoy every moment of them. But to call the writer an idiot, ignorant and patronising for writing an article which encourages fans to attend track meets; well, I just don't get it. Maybe you ought to come on out here some time and see what he's talking about.

Comment

The preconceived idea that meets are all day affairs is because of the average joe's introduction to track in high school.

I wonder if the majority of high school meets were duals & tri's and limited to 3-hours if this would help the pro sport in the long term? Potential fans, introduced to the sport in high school, would have the first hand experience that a track meet is a fast moving, exciting 3-hour affair and not an endurance event of watching the grass grow. Would this change help grow the fan base in the long run?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
        The preconceived idea that meets are all day affairs is because of the average joe's introduction to track in high school.

I wonder if the majority of high school meets were duals & tri's and limited to 3-hours if this would help the pro sport in the long term? Potential fans, introduced to the sport in high school, would have the first hand experience that a track meet is a fast moving, exciting 3-hour affair and not an endurance event of watching the grass grow. Would this change help grow the fan base in the long run?
        Problem is you get a mixed bag with respect to meets, duals, tri's, quads, etc. and of course larger invites. Unless there is overtime, extra innings, in some of the other core sports, you know what to expect time wise and can plan accordingly.
        on the road

Comment

I don't know what percentage of spectators are there for what reason but it is a big HS meet scattered thru four days and I suspect a big percentage of attendance is family, friends and HS who have to spend a lot of time there to catch the event they are primarily interested in.
          Somewhat true for collegiate. Purely unaffiliated fans, I dunno..

Comment

Working...
          X