Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Uniformity Redux

So I open this month's issue and find myself ruefully nodding my head in agreement with gh's rant about college teams sporting 4-5 different uniforms. But . . . the opposite is just as frustrating. I'm sure it must be covered in one of the Pre threads, but the redickalusness of having almost an entire field in yellow was too much. I'm sure Nike thought it a great marketing gimmick to show everyone in their meet all toeing the company line, but it sure made for bad theater. If Nike can make one of the best college uniforms out there (Oregon's - see pages 6-7 for a nice visual), MAYBE they could offer variations on a theme and have SEVERAL like-designed, but many-hued uniform variations! Sheeesh!

I thought that was too much yellow too. In some races the only non-yellow jersey was the rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
      I thought that was too much yellow too. In some races the only non-yellow jersey was the rabbit.
      Co-sign
      on the road

Comment

Re: Uniform Uniformity Redux

Originally posted by Marlow
        If Nike can make one of the best college uniforms out there (Oregon's - see pages 6-7 for a nice visual), MAYBE they could offer variations on a theme and have SEVERAL like-designed, but many-hued uniform variations! Sheeesh!
        Agreed
        Visually confusing.
        I can keep track of 3-4 athletes in a race with the same color uniform, but not 10!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          It appeared that they did that in only two races--one men's and one women's. In the races where they didn't do that, a number of the atheltes wore their national uniforms, which I liked. Those two races, however, were over the top. Not very fan friendly.

Comment

Nike should have differant kits for every athlete, not some chain gang of conformity. Horrible :x
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              Nike should have differant kits for every athlete, not some chain gang of conformity. Horrible :x
              So, combining the Nike Commercial, and the excessive yellow-ness of the singlets, and the need to attract more fans to our sport.....
              I think topless is the answer... White, black, brown, etc....it's all good...Put the numbers on with a felt pen, add a swoosh, and go !!! Babies and men everywhere will be able to relate !

Comment

What do we think of the trend toward super-hero costume uniforms?
                Serra HS boys relay team has red, white and blue skintight outfits with a very Superman-like stylized S on the chest... only lacking little capes flowing out behind (might get in the way on stick exchanges!)

Comment

The yellow uniforms in the 1500/mile were because of some Livestrong promotion Nike was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                    The yellow uniforms in the 1500/mile were because of some Livestrong promotion Nike was doing.

As I've said on other threads, I miss the days when athletes wore their country's colors during international races.

So why can't Nike, et al, make unis with the same design but in national team colors for the athletes?

Comment

If all the nike guys and gals are gonna where the same thing at least make it a cool and interesting kit and not something freaking Bird Bird designed. :x
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                        As I've said on other threads, I miss the days when athletes wore their country's colors during international races.

So why can't Nike, et al, make unis with the same design but in national team colors for the athletes?
                        It would still mean a lot of the events most of the athletes would be wearing the same uniforms (the US).
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I'm glad marlow brought this up. I wrote about this last year. It is bad enough that TandF has so few interesting personalities, except for Bolt, it is even worse when a majority wear the same outfits.

In the PGA there are dozens of Nike players but, they all don't wear Tiger Red on Sunday.

Besides the mile--I tuned back in at 100 meters and I thought it was one of kids races, since everyone was in yellow--the 200 was the worst. 5 of the athletes in Orange---Hey the guy in Orange wins!''

I think it really shows how low on the totem pole track is in Beaverton. Just pick a color and send out the uniforms to the peons.

There was a time when Nike had AW, Nike Boston, Nike Eugene, etc. Now they just don't give a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                            There was a time when Nike had AW, Nike Boston, Nike Eugene, etc. Now they just don't give a shit.
                            I disagree, i would argue it took 10 to 15 seconds for the designers to come up with that yellow singlet. :roll:
                            phsstt!

Comment

Since the yellow tops were a special promotional thing, I don't know that we'll see them again. I guess the TV announcers didn't mention the Livestrong thing, given the amount of bitching here. I only knew because I saw a press release about it in the media area.

This year's Nike kit is OK. They've had better years and they have had worse. I like the pink for the women. I wish they would keep the design simpler though, the backs looks like a giant computer chip or something.

Nike athletes are required to compete at Pre (if they get accepted) it's part of their Nike contract, so of course you are going to see a lot of Nike at the meet.

The shoe companies want their athletes to be identifiable. They are.

Comment

Working...
                              X