• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by no one
    So I'm assuming (don't know) that there is a $ expenditure and/or more man hours ... to have a separate NCAA section - ? No free lunch?
    Other than the few minutes it takes to craft the original set of by-event threads with the formcharts in them, it costs us nothing to have a separate NCAA section and we'll certainly continue to do that.

When I said "not worth our time," I wasn't very clear. I was meaning that it's not worth the many hours of non-stop time for staffer(s) to be continually massaging those threads, adding data, insight, etc., for a handful of people when there are 15,000 magazine subscribers out there towards whom our efforts would be better directed.

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by odelltrclan
    You need to develop some thicker skin. Come on! Cancelling your subscription over hurt feelings on a message board? Your loss.

No hurt feelings. Bad business practice. As a business owner myself I pay attention to not rewarding such.

I was a relative newby to the board at the time, asking a question following the 2004 trials I was genuinely interested in knowing(if/when the Trials would return to a midwestern venue).

Leave a comment:

• Dave

• Dave
    replied
    GH, I really appreciate this board which was my primary source of information, speculation, and generally appreciation of the events.

I really appreciate the format used for important meets with each event called out specifically. The conversations are accessible and visible. It really adds to the events for me.

my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Keep up that attitude and you won't have the "blabbermouths" either.
    Probably happening already. Even marlow does not post as much. What ever happened to MJD, i assume he found greener pastures after being banned?
    It's amazing sometimes the attitude towards the regulars around here.

It's no coincidence my subscription expired a few years ago after I was ridiculed, by a certain editor, for my innocent question regarding why the USATF championships/Olympic trials wasn't in the midwest more.
    You need to develop some thicker skin. Come on! Cancelling your subscription over hurt feelings on a message board? Your loss.

I don't expect people to share all my opinions and view points and perhaps even feel a little angry at times, but I have never found a better place the discuss as passionate subject to me as track than these message boards. There are some bright well informed track nuts here and I am grateful there is such a place to refer to. Keep up the good work T&FN.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle

• EPelle
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    has nothing to do w/ posts; has to do with how many different people are signing on to view the proceedings; extra traffic from the blabbermouths isn't the issue.
    By signing on, is this a count of how many screen names are logged in to view the forum, or the total number of viewers? How many guests stopped by each day versus in the past three seasons in question?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Yes, and that means that the number of people--true field-event fans--who tune in here is minuscule.
    Yes, but it's all QUALITY! :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• 2 cents

• 2 cents
    replied
    Part of the problem with this board is that controversial personalities, which may be a euphemism for assholes at times, are so discouraged from manifesting said personalities, that ennui envelops the environment to the point that tedium is the rule at times. I'm not sure there is any way to circumvent this as it may be the lesser of two evils, but it nonetheless is palpable. As far as the regulars, it appears that familiarity does breed a certain contempt, and that the moderator may feel confortable in expressing his possibly inevitable disdain for voices which he may find tiresome and perhaps he extrapolates that he is not alone in this sentiment.

Leave a comment:

• no one

• no one
    replied
    So I'm assuming (don't know) that there is a $ expenditure and/or more man hours ... to have a separate NCAA section - ? No free lunch?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    There used to be huge bumps to the overall visitation numbers to the Board when the NCAA meet was on. Last year, no, and this year no, even though everyday visitation to the Board has gone up markedly in the last few months.

The advent of (good) live streaming--plus couple of days of live TV (whether you like it or not) have had an impact. But since the overall effect on the sport is a positive one, we're not complaining.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by no one
    Maybe that diminished my posting but I'm not a huge poster anyway
    I might be wrong but my impression is that gh is counting the traffic not the posts.

Is there less traffic to the site overall? Or just the NCAA forum?

Leave a comment:

• no one

• no one
    replied
    I doubt I'm unique in this, but I found it 'relatively' easy to multi-task by keeping 5-6 tabs open, bouncing from live feed, to tfn message board, to running scores update, and even another board or so ... throughout. Maybe that diminished my posting but I'm not a huge poster anyway sans 5 and 10k. Tfn, as always did a great job in my estimation and hope this format continues.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    extra traffic from the blabbermouths isn't the issue.
    Thanks.

the head blabbermouth is none other than me.... duh!

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Probably happening already. Even marlow does not post as much. What ever happened to MJD, i assume he found greener pastures after being banned?
    It's amazing sometimes the attitude towards the regulars around here.

It's no coincidence my subscription expired a few years ago after I was ridiculed, by a certain editor, for my innocent question regarding why the USATF championships/Olympic trials wasn't in the midwest more.

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Thank you guys for the exceptional coverage ... up-to-minute team scores, immediate results, great headlines, packed information.
    Agree wholeheartedly.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X