Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else think the third leg of A&M cut off Baylor at the handoff?

Nothing horribly egregious, but enough to warrant a protest and possibly DQ A&M and create the three way tie for the top teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
      It starts with your training in this event as it does in any event. The Borlee's, obviously have talent, but the level they're competing at is loaded with talent as well. So again based upon what their training consist of at this point going forward, will be key with respect to the remainder of this season and how effective they perform.
      Keep in mind that they from what I gather, do not have to go thru a national champs meet for the WC's. Or at least someone can fill us in as to whther their selection is already made or must go thru a qualification race...

Comment

Originally posted by knite
        Originally posted by Speedfirst
        It starts with your training in this event as it does in any event. The Borlee's, obviously have talent, but the level they're competing at is loaded with talent as well. So again based upon what their training consist of at this point going forward, will be key with respect to the remainder of this season and how effective they perform.
        Keep in mind that they from what I gather, do not have to go thru a national champs meet for the WC's. Or at least someone can fill us in as to whther their selection is already made or must go thru a qualification race...
        NO NC's for them because they have met the "A" standard but Belgium will have an NC's. It will most likely be an option race for them.
        Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
          Most? How many top-tier 400m runners combine the NCAA with the European season and/or major championships in August and peak well in both? Sure, Wariner did in 2004, but other than that?
          Butch Reynolds (a stretch, but still wound up with a world champs medal), Steve Lewis, Danny Everett, Quincy Watts, Michael Johnson, Gary Kikaya, Darold Williamson, more...

Let's take those modern-day athletes who split 43 at NCAA for more relevancy:
          • 43,49 Darold Williamson (Bay) 05 (WC Gold: 4x400m)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,5 Michael Johnson (Bay) 90 (h) (PB 44,21 in Rieti in september)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,6 Quincy Watts (USC) 92 (Olympic 400m, 4x400m champion)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,6 Angelo Taylor (GaT) 98 (2nd NCAA indoor; NCAA outdoor 400mh and CWG runner-up)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,7 Johnson 90 (PB 44,21 in Rieti in september)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,7 Watts 92 (h) (Olympic 400m, 4x400m champion)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,78 Jonathan Borlée (FlSt) 09 REMAINS TO BE SEEN[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,8 Kevin Borlée (FlSt) 09 REMAINS TO BE SEEN[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,9 Roddie Haley (Ar) 87 (WC Gold: 4x400m)[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          • 43,9 Derek Mills (GaT) 92 (DNC past NCAA; two years later, after winning NCAA in 45,06 in 1994, he went undefeated in seven international races (concluding 28-august).[/*:m:18s5utn6]
          Yes, Powell, I would say most.

Somehow Steve Lewis managed to peak for NCAA, USA OT, Europe and, ultimately, the Olympic 400m and 4x400m finals... all in the same season - his first on the NCAA level.

Comment

200's for the Borlees at the NC would be in order, I think. Good speed workout. What is the date of their NC's?

Comment

Again when you talk about peaking, or in the words of JW recycling for the more and/or most important meets, it's about your training/nutrition.

If you KNOW you're going to compete in X amount of events, your training will reflect that. You never know what times you are going to run come meet time, but again you will have a grasp of where you are training wise adn where you want to be time wise.
              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Let's take those modern-day athletes who split 43 at NCAA for more relevancy:

43,49 Darold Williamson (Bay) 05 (WC Gold: 4x400m)
                He was far from his best at the WCh, finishing seventh individually with 45.12, and running a 44.40 relay split. Didn't break 45 secs again after his 44.62 at the nationals (which was already down on his time from the NCAAs)

43,6 Angelo Taylor (GaT) 98 (2nd NCAA indoor; NCAA outdoor 400mh and CWG runner-up)
                CWG were in mid-July, which is different from major championships

43,9 Roddie Haley (Ar) 87 (WC Gold: 4x400m)
                Didn't break 45 seconds at the WCh, finished 8th in the final with 46.77

43,9 Derek Mills (GaT) 92 (DNC past NCAA; two years later, after winning NCAA in 45,06 in 1994, he went undefeated in seven international races (concluding 28-august)
                OK, but what did he do internationally in 1992?

Lewis, Johnson and Watts are all excellent examples that the NCAA-major championships double peak is achievable (which I never questioned), but somewhat dated. How about looking at more recent sub-45 runners from the collegiate scene?
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

[Darold Williamson (Bay) 05 (WC Gold: 4x400m)] He was far from his best at the WCh, finishing seventh individually with 45.12, and running a 44.40 relay split. Didn't break 45 secs again after his 44.62 at the nationals (which was already down on his time from the NCAAs)
                  Powell, he was third leg of the WC gold medal team. In august.

[43,6 Angelo Taylor (GaT) 98 (2nd NCAA indoor; NCAA outdoor 400mh and CWG runner-up)] CWG were in mid-July, which is different from major championships
                  Yes, however, that was his only big championship available that season.

[43,9 Roddie Haley (Ar) 87 (WC Gold: 4x400m)] Didn't break 45 seconds at the WCh, finished 8th in the final with 46.77
                  No, however, as stated, he still won a gold medal at the world championships in the 4x400m.

[43,9 Derek Mills (GaT) 92 (DNC past NCAA; two years later, after winning NCAA in 45,06 in 1994, he went undefeated in seven international races (concluding 28-august)] OK, but what did he do internationally in 1992?
                  Uh, he DNC after NCAA. However, as far as peaking late in the summer, see the rest of the citation following his NCAA victory in 1994.

Alas, why I don't mind you attempting to disprove the above? How many races this season did Kevin and/or Jonathan Borlée run compared to those above? Yeah, I think their chances are MUCH better than those.

Finally, here's the catch-22 for everyone:

No matter how they do in Arkansas, they will continue training for the ultimate meet — the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.

If they perform well enough in Germany there's a chance they could turn professional and not return to Tallahassee.

"We'll have to see," Kevin said.

Comment

[Darold Williamson (Bay) 05 (WC Gold: 4x400m)] He was far from his best at the WCh, finishing seventh individually with 45.12, and running a 44.40 relay split. Didn't break 45 secs again after his 44.62 at the nationals (which was already down on his time from the NCAAs)
                    Powell, he was third leg of the WC gold medal team. In august.

[43,9 Roddie Haley (Ar) 87 (WC Gold: 4x400m)] Didn't break 45 seconds at the WCh, finished 8th in the final with 46.77
                    No, however, as stated, he still won a gold medal at the world championships in the 4x400m.
                    Yes, I understood that the first time you said it. My point is neither Williamson nor Haley were close to their best form of the season in August. The American 4x4 relay teams were usually good enough to win golds without all members being at their best, so relay golds don't prove much.

You may also remember another pair of twins, coming from your country, for whom trying to combine the collegiate season with summer on the circuit and major championships didn't exactly work out...

Comment

How about Steve Lewis, Jeremy Wariner, Quincy Watts, Danny Everett, Butch Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                        How about Steve Lewis, Jeremy Wariner, Quincy Watts, Danny Everett, Butch Reynolds
                        Could you please read the discussion before joining it?

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                          Could you please read the discussion before joining it?
                          I did, you gave excuses for all the 'non success' stories, just wanted to make it CLEAR that people have succeeded running a full collegiat schedule. I'm sure I can name more who where successful in the individual event.

Comment

Yes, I understood that the first time you said it. My point is neither Williamson nor Haley were close to their best form of the season in August. The American 4x4 relay teams were usually good enough to win golds without all members being at their best, so relay golds don't prove much.
                            Actually, in relation to this discussion, they mean a great deal. Why were the collegians on the professional relay team finals? And, with respect to Williamson, I didn't even touch on his 2004 season, rather his sub-44 NCAA split 2005 season. America is more than rich in depth at 400m. You're looking specifically at times and splits and forgetting another dimension of the equation.

You may also remember another pair of twins, coming from your country, for whom trying to combine the collegiate season with summer on the circuit and major championships didn't exactly work out...
                            I'm on pins and needles on this one... which twins were those?

Comment

Actually, in relation to this discussion, they mean a great deal. Why were the collegians on the professional relay team finals? And, with respect to Williamson, I didn't even touch on his 2004 season, rather his sub-44 NCAA split 2005 season. America is more than rich in depth at 400m. You're looking specifically at times and splits and forgetting another dimension of the equation.

I'm on pins and needles on this one... which twins were those?
                              I'm awaiting on the answer as well......

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban
                                If you're white and rap they compare you to Eminem

If you're a white Qmiler they compare you to Wariner......Sad. :?
                                Yes very sad color is still an issue in sports instead of accepting someone simply because of their talent.Notice this only effects the men not the women.

Comment

Working...
                                X