Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NumberCruncher
    Originally posted by 3a
    Poppa Borlee is their coach, and himself a Euro medalist. He timed their peak to perfection last year, both running PB's in Beijing....infact, they have PB'd at every major since the youth scene. I completely trust the man to look after his sons. One of them will be in the final by Berlin, no doubt about it. The Euro record is far more impressive than it's given credit for. Super talented, experienced guys have tried and failed to get it. I would be stunned if Jonathan managed it this year.

Personally I don't know why Europeans bother with the NCAA. The education is rarely a priority or prestigious and they are bled dry for the sake of a College/State that they have no ties to.

Hannah England was quite smart, a year at FSU, has the american experience, wins an NCAA title and heads home.. At a middle distance meeting in the UK this weekend there were a litany of times that would have medalled at NCAA's from students in their teens and early 20's. One that stood out was Rose -Anne Galligan who spent a year at Tennesse, disliked it....was ruined for most of last year and then ran 4'13 in a B race against a host of other students. Lots of teenage girls under 16 minutes for 5k too. I think Euro athletes take the scholarships for the experience of living in the states and having a novel lifestyle. I find it hard to believe that someone like Sonia O'Sullivan wouldn't have been just as big a star without her stay stateside. Some would argue it may have hindered her in the earlier years on the international scene.
    Jacques Borlee is quite the coach. It is my understanding that Jon and Kevin were to race as little as possible at FSU per their dad. FSU honored that as the brothers only ran 1 open during the outdoor, enough to qualify for regions.
    I wanna know what they do that is so much different from what American coaches do? And if it was that much better for the athletes, why can't they win on the world stage???

HMMMM!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NumberCruncher
      It is my understanding that Jon and Kevin were to race as little as possible at FSU per their dad. FSU honored that as the brothers only ran 1 open during the outdoor, enough to qualify for regions.
      Nearly spot-on. They took one for the team in march when they stepped up when called upon to attempt to win the m-4x400m at NCAA indoors. As you may recall, Baylor worked its perennial magic on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by justblaze1011
        Originally posted by NumberCruncher
        Originally posted by 3a
        Poppa Borlee is their coach, and himself a Euro medalist. He timed their peak to perfection last year, both running PB's in Beijing....infact, they have PB'd at every major since the youth scene. I completely trust the man to look after his sons. One of them will be in the final by Berlin, no doubt about it. The Euro record is far more impressive than it's given credit for. Super talented, experienced guys have tried and failed to get it. I would be stunned if Jonathan managed it this year.

Personally I don't know why Europeans bother with the NCAA. The education is rarely a priority or prestigious and they are bled dry for the sake of a College/State that they have no ties to.

Hannah England was quite smart, a year at FSU, has the american experience, wins an NCAA title and heads home.. At a middle distance meeting in the UK this weekend there were a litany of times that would have medalled at NCAA's from students in their teens and early 20's. One that stood out was Rose -Anne Galligan who spent a year at Tennesse, disliked it....was ruined for most of last year and then ran 4'13 in a B race against a host of other students. Lots of teenage girls under 16 minutes for 5k too. I think Euro athletes take the scholarships for the experience of living in the states and having a novel lifestyle. I find it hard to believe that someone like Sonia O'Sullivan wouldn't have been just as big a star without her stay stateside. Some would argue it may have hindered her in the earlier years on the international scene.
        Jacques Borlee is quite the coach. It is my understanding that Jon and Kevin were to race as little as possible at FSU per their dad. FSU honored that as the brothers only ran 1 open during the outdoor, enough to qualify for regions.
        I wanna know what they do that is so much different from what American coaches do? And if it was that much better for the athletes, why can't they win on the world stage???

HMMMM!!!
        We certainly know the type of strangle hold the U.S. has on the mens 400m and 4x400, of which I don't see that changing anytime soon.
        on the road

Comment

• Originally posted by gm
          When someone not from the USA breaks into the world all-time top 70 performances in the 400, give me a call.
          I think you'll have time to travel the world - by foot - before your phone rings, because those top-70 performances have been achieved by only 12 Americans (Johnson, Reynolds, Wariner, Watts, Merritt, Everett, Evans, Lewis, James, Taylor, Young, A. Harrison) let alone anyone else. The chance of having someone break into that list any time soon all is more than miniscule as two of those members are still actively competing.

Comment

What concerns???

This whole "NCAA will ruin our athletes" is non-sense.
            I never suggested the NCAA will ruin the Borlees' careers, just that it may affect their peaking this year.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by 3a
              Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
              Originally posted by knockout
              I always assumed he would be British when it happened, but it will be nice to see a new European Record in the 400m ..... Its been 22 years which is way too long!!!!
              I was thinking the same thing - that would be nice to see - they are both fully capable of it. Down with 44.33
              Euros next year will be brill, The Borlees, Rooney, Bingham, Benjamin, Gillick....all sub 44.8? Euro record in the process.
              Will be nice to see Benjamin back to his 2005 shape or better, I presume he has had some bad injuries...

Comment

• Bingham looks to be the better of the Brits. Also With the bolstering of the BAH team, it looks like that fight for the bronze is gonna be a good one....

Comment

• Originally posted by knite
                  Bingham looks to be the better of the Brits. Also With the bolstering of the BAH team, it looks like that fight for the bronze is gonna be a good one....
                  Agreed! I see Bingham under 45.00 this summer.
                  Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
                    Originally posted by 3a

HMMMM!!!
                    By they, you mean? No one is comparing coaches, rather a system. I don't know about anyone else but I was stating that the College system regularly burns out students, runs them into the ground. . . . and college coaches are all nationalities btw. I mentioned the the fact that Papa Borlee would have been instrumental in their NCAA run up and that because of this, his sons would still have plenty in the tank for Berlin.

As for "Why can't they win on the world stage"...if you're talking about the Borlees, ..perhaps because they have just left the junior ranks and are still in college, maturing, developing. No one said they are world champions in the making anyhow. :?

Comment

• I don't think its the college systems that runs them into the ground. The cream rises to the top and the ones that can't cut it normally don't. I think thats in any system. Maybe in the NCAA system thats maginfied, but EVERYONE isn't going to improve, NO matter what system your in.

It's easy to criticize the MOST visible (AND successful system I might add). But I think the NCAA system produces more champs than anyother system moving on to the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by knite
                        Bingham looks to be the better of the Brits. Also With the bolstering of the BAH team, it looks like that fight for the bronze is gonna be a good one....
                        Who is getting silver?? :-) The US as usual are a lock for the Gold.

Come Berlin would be nice to see Team GB with 3 guys in the 44.5 to 44.7 range (Benjamin/Rooney/Bingham) not quite like 96/97 when we had 4 guys around 44.5 (Baulch, Richardson, Black and Thomas) but a decent team indeed!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by guruof track
                          I don't think its the college systems that runs them into the ground.
                          The current system doesn't run them into the ground the way the old system does. I hate to say it, but in the good ole' days, when teams had lots of dual meets, coaches were much more inclined to ask runners to double and triple week after week to score points. Nowadays, many teams have no dual meets at all, and a good athlete needs just one meet to get a qualifier, then perhaps a relay meet or two, then conference, regionals and NCAA nationals. Spread out over a period of 10 weeks or more, that's not exactly running them into the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman
                            Originally posted by guruof track
                            I don't think its the college systems that runs them into the ground.
                            The current system doesn't run them into the ground the way the old system does. I hate to say it, but in the good ole' days, when teams had lots of dual meets, coaches were much more inclined to ask runners to double and triple week after week to score points. Nowadays, many teams have no dual meets at all, and a good athlete needs just one meet to get a qualifier, then perhaps a relay meet or two, then conference, regionals and NCAA nationals. Spread out over a period of 10 weeks or more, that's not exactly running them into the ground.
                            Even so, good athletes ALWAYS seemed to excel when needed. Thats my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by guruof track
                              Not necessarily. It's more a case of the US having an abundance of talent, so that even if 80% burn out, there are still enough of those who excel. Belgium cannot afford it.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell
                                Originally posted by guruof track
                                Not necessarily. It's more a case of the US having an abundance of talent, so that even if 80% burn out, there are still enough of those who excel. Belgium cannot afford it.
                                Hogwash. Its not the abundance of talent. Burnout happens regardless of the system. It happens from middle school to HS, from HS to college, from college to pros.

If burnout was the problem, why has the NCAA created so many champions?? With every success there is failure. It is what it is. Its not a product of the system though...........its the nature of the beast.

Baylor is a great example. They have made Olympic Champions using their system, but some have failed to porgress under the system when they go to the next level. Baylor didnt do ANYTHING different with either athlete though. So explain the flaw in that system???

Comment

Working...
                                X