Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no one
    replied
    Its hard for me to imagine that Rupp can be beat in this meet. To do what he did in the 10k against two talented foes - ... I say this not knowing anything about any other runner in the 5k. Sometimes its just your 'day' in the sun. I say we see a similar kind of outcome.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by dl
    Nothing against Chelanga and Forrest, two great runners, but I don't think they could have done anything differently to beat Rupp. Slow, fast, surges, it wouldn't have mattered. Kind of like Geb (in his track prime) and Bekele. How do you beat the fastest guy (yes, I know Chelanga has the CR) who also has the best kick?
    I totally agree. Rupp would have covered any move they made and still had enough to do whatever he had to do to win. He was clearly superior last night.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    Originally posted by ed gee
    As a freshman, Rupp led ~24 of the 25 laps before finishing second.
    He knows how to lead and now he knows how to follow and win.
    Further to that, no one else is racing 20,000m in three days. Rupp has a summer and a career ahead of him for ball to the wall time trialing. No points for assisting in a strategy designed to defeat him this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied
    As a freshman, Rupp led ~24 of the 25 laps before finishing second.
    He knows how to lead and now he knows how to follow and win.

Originally posted by 2 cents
    Originally posted by odelltrclan
    Why would Rupp share the lead. He was the clear favorite. Its up to the others to come up with a game plan to beat him. Remember Virgin vs. Yifter? Why should he lessen his chances by sharing duties with them? No one else in the race was any reasonable threat.

Rupp raced exactly as he should have and exactly as anyone who has the finishing superiority should have done.
    It is difficult for me to disagree with anything you have written here. In fact it is clear that Rupp ran smart and for that he is to be applauded. However, I do find it irritating the way he follows the other runners (not that my irritation matters). I guess at the next level he is probably going to be on the other end of the stick, or should I say kick. But here he was able to watch the game and control it. Those days are soon to be over.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by 2 cents
    Originally posted by EPelle
    The earlier work was just time in the playground.
    We shall see about that. I expect Hassan Mead will make him wish he were back in the playground. Some don't realize how good Mead is. Rupp is about to find out.
    Unless Rupp has a poor night, there's little reason to believe that Mead would be able to beat him at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Jnathletics
    Alas, I know (of) Meade well. If Rupp was comparing anything, I believe it would have been this three-race series beginning to more resemble his 30-40 workout as opposed to how well his personal best in the 5.000m matches up against Meade's 13.28,45. Mead is rested, having only had to break 14.00 once this season (that school record at Stanford), but I don't believe it will be enough.
    Coming in to the NCAA's, I thought Meade had a really good shot at beating Rupp in the 5k. (I have him winning in Marlow's prediction contest.) I thought with a teammate and probably Williams from UofM. He would have others to do the work for him. But with both his teammate and Williams not making the final (What happened there?) and the way Rupp was smiling during the 10K race. I now don't think Meade's kick is good enough to outkick Rupp, from either a slow or fast pace.

Rupp may put in the "we're not worthy" performance the experts are predicting.
    At this point, would the Oregon crew be regretting not lettng him run the 1,500?

Leave a comment:

• Jnathletics
    replied
    Alas, I know (of) Meade well. If Rupp was comparing anything, I believe it would have been this three-race series beginning to more resemble his 30-40 workout as opposed to how well his personal best in the 5.000m matches up against Meade's 13.28,45. Mead is rested, having only had to break 14.00 once this season (that school record at Stanford), but I don't believe it will be enough.
    Coming in to the NCAA's, I thought Meade had a really good shot at beating Rupp in the 5k. (I have him winning in Marlow's prediction contest.) I thought with a teammate and probably Williams from UofM. He would have others to do the work for him. But with both his teammate and Williams not making the final (What happened there?) and the way Rupp was smiling during the 10K race. I now don't think Meade's kick is good enough to outkick Rupp, from either a slow or fast pace.

Rupp may put in the "we're not worthy" performance the experts are predicting.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Am I the only one who thinks Rupp is in over his head here?
    bump :twisted:
    aha - all part of my clevah psychologicall ploy to spur rupp on to victory! now I shall pronounce a texasian guarantee for his demise tonite. :idea: :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

If, however, this could have gone like the 2005 edition did (when Rupp was runner-up in a sub-28.30 race), you could have expected a faster 5.000m (two at 13.22 and three under 13.30). That would have been grand for competition's sake, but there are not enough challengers to push it.

Leave a comment:

• 2 cents
    replied
    The earlier work was just time in the playground.
    We shall see about that. I expect Hassan Mead will make him wish he were back in the playground. Some don't realize how good Mead is. Rupp is about to find out.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Rupp - only three laps of hard work.

Finish: 9.03,97/4.17,08/3.01,09/1.58,96/60,95

Gives his legs what they need for that 5.000m - turnover. The earlier work was just time in the playground.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    I think Rupp totally got into both Chelanga's and Forrest's heads as they both kept looking back, slowing up and doing everything they could to force Rupp to move to the front and shoulder some of the load. From a tactical standpoint, it was a very interesting race, but Galen stayed cool, calm and collected the win. I think both Chelanga and Forrest knew they were dead with a 8 laps to go and Rupp just cruising on their heels. I give them both credit for trying to break Rupp early and late and doing everything possible to beat him rather than just laying back in a giant, slow-paced pack and letting the inevitable happen.

As far as Rupp shirking responsibility and refusing to lead....that wasn't his job. This isn't a peleton here, it's a track race and when two guys go out with a strategy to break another guy, why the hell should the other guy help once he's caught up with the perpetrators?

Leave a comment:

• 2 cents
    replied
    Originally posted by odelltrclan
    Why would Rupp share the lead. He was the clear favorite. Its up to the others to come up with a game plan to beat him. Remember Virgin vs. Yifter? Why should he lessen his chances by sharing duties with them? No one else in the race was any reasonable threat.

Rupp raced exactly as he should have and exactly as anyone who has the finishing superiority should have done.
    It is difficult for me to disagree with anything you have written here. In fact it is clear that Rupp ran smart and for that he is to be applauded. However, I do find it irritating the way he follows the other runners (not that my irritation matters). I guess at the next level he is probably going to be on the other end of the stick, or should I say kick. But here he was able to watch the game and control it. Those days are soon to be over.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Jonah Koech won this race in 1993 in 28.28,67. Rupp's 28.21,45 marked only the third time in the past 16 seasons that 28.30 has been broken by a winner in this meet (2003: Lincoln (28.20,20) over Cragg (28.20,29) and Gonzales (28.26,88); and 2005 (Cheseret (28.20,11) over Rupp (28.23,75)) - another factor why Rupp simply should not have been defeated on paper, whatsoever.

That 1998 Stanford trio of Hauser-Hauser-Nutter over Meb did a fine job of approaching that (28.31,30 - 28.32,39 - 28.32,62). Boaz Cheboiywo (28.32,10) was also close to the mark, but no cigar in winning the 2002 race at LSU.

Alas, this was a new NCAA-meet PB for Rupp as well.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Hogs' Rupp
    Clearly the title writer didn't read the article.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X