Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPelle
    replied
    You may have missed this on the m-4x400m thread, but the Borlées may turn pro next season depending on how things go in Berlin at the World Champs.

Leave a comment:

• lapsus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gleason
    I recall that this was covered in T&FN 20 - 30 years ago.
    I love this board.

I don't suppose there is video available somewhere? The most popular YouTube Borlee appears to be Olivia for some reason 8-)

Leave a comment:

• NumberCruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Originally posted by BillVol
    Height??? Please?

BTW, it shouldn't matter if a student-athlete is 50 years old. If that person is enrolled in school and is taking a full schedule (12 hrs?) and has not used up his/her eligibilty, he/she should be allowed to participate in NCAA athletics.
    But the rules are now tighter; I am not certain of the age limit but it is much lower, although things like Mormon Missions do not count in the time period (also military?).
    I think 25 is the age limit, although I don't know the specifics of the rule.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Height??? Please?

BTW, it shouldn't matter if a student-athlete is 50 years old. If that person is enrolled in school and is taking a full schedule (12 hrs?) and has not used up his/her eligibilty, he/she should be allowed to participate in NCAA athletics.
    But the rules are now tighter; I am not certain of the age limit but it is much lower, although things like Mormon Missions do not count in the time period (also military?).

Leave a comment:

• proofs in the pudd'in
    replied
    Height??? Please?

Well if you must know - height height is 1.80m / 67kg - from their website http://www.borlee.eu/main.php?child=2

Here is some little trivia from this article: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/colleges ... 008586.ece

"In the 400, Kevin just missed making the finals with a personal-best 44.88, a Belgium national record. The country's second-best time? Well, Jonathan set that in his semifinal heat, 45.11.

Before coming to FSU, their coach had been their father, Jacques, who ran the 400 for Belgium in the 1980 Summer Games in Moscow, and has done a pretty good job training his children. (The Borlee boys' older sister Olivia, 23, won a silver medal as part of Belgium's 4x100 relay in Beijing.)"

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Height??? Please?
    a quick search reveals 5'11" (180 cm)

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Height??? Please?

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by NumberCruncher
    They enrolled when they were 19. Sour grapes? International athletes abound in the college ranks , and most are 20 or older when freshmen. The only time people bring it up is when those said athletes dominate a field of Americans. It is petty to complain about the Borlees when 20 something international stars have long since come over the pond to participate in numurous collegiate sports.
    some of us have complained long before the Borlees arrived. If you read some of the previous discussions it is not so much their competing and winning that bothers, rather it is simply the scholarship.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Anybody know how tall the Borlees are? They looked shorter than some of the other guys. FSU website didn't say... http://www.seminoles.com/sports/c-track ... k-mtt.html

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    I don't think anyone disagrees with you. I think whomever the other TWO US runners are that are in Berlin, they have as good a shot at the bronze as anyone.

I think the question mark is who are THOSE two guys. Hopefully one is X.
    Yeah I hope X decides to compete in the quarter and makes the team.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    I don't think anyone disagrees with you. I think whomever the other TWO US runners are that are in Berlin, they have as good a shot at the bronze as anyone.

I think the question mark is who are THOSE two guys. Hopefully one is X.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    I think he is saying outside our top two 400 runners there is no clear cut next best. Hence X has a great opportunity to fill that void.

We are much deeper in the deuce right now.
    I just never associate weakness when the top 2 in the world are from the same country and also over the years weakness has not been associated with the mens 400m.

Also come Nationals and Worlds, I think you'll see once again the prowess of the U.S. in the quarter on the world scene.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    I think he is saying outside our top two 400 runners there is no clear cut next best. Hence X has a great opportunity to fill that void.

We are much deeper in the deuce right now.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Re: m 400

Originally posted by Gleason
    US weakness here is more reason for "X-Man" to run 400 at USAT&F. Merritt & Wariner are 1-2 of course for Berlin, but I see no solid third. Only 16 entries so far in 400.
    What weakness?

Leave a comment:

• NumberCruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    Originally posted by NumberCruncher
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by Chrome Dome
    We have 4 frosh in the final. There seems to have been a major changing of the guard in this event this year with the demise of Betters and Boase and a good crop of frosh and high schoolers. I assume Roberts was down with injury.
    yes, but two of the "frosh" are the Borlées, who are 21.5 at this point.
    They turned 21 4 months ago, not quite 21.5. Most international athletes come in at 20-21, Endurance Abinuwa(Nigeria) was born 7/31/87 and is a freshmen sprinter at UTEP.
    I know this is not the place to bring this up but there needs to be a rule change to forbid guys getting 4 years of competition starting at age 21.5. I propose that you can get only 1 year of competition after the age of 20 and if american born only 1 year after the age of 22. With the only exceptions made for service in the military or peace corp or some such.
    They enrolled when they were 19. Sour grapes? International athletes abound in the college ranks , and most are 20 or older when freshmen. The only time people bring it up is when those said athletes dominate a field of Americans. It is petty to complain about the Borlees when 20 something international stars have long since come over the pond to participate in numurous collegiate sports.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X