This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Sanya Richards tag a choke

Ok, Is it me alone thinking she is heading in that direction if not already there. If my memory recall is right, she won World junior 400m in 2003. And she also went through NCAA, so why in her pro career, always comes up short at major championship when it count? Always a world beater on the circuit, but can't put it together at World Championships and Olympics. So, my inquiring mind is thinking, she is a female version of Asafa, look so good in the rounds but blew it in finals.

Let see if they both can put it together at World Championships in Berlin. In Asafa case a silver medal (behind Usain Bolt) will be a milestone for him, but in Sanya Richards case anything less that a 400m gold in Berlin is unacceptable.

Interesting to know that both their post race quotes in Beijing mention something about their legs . Legs were perfectly fine in rounds, but not so in the finals of a Major Athletics Championship, especially the Olympics the granddaddy of them all.

Re: Should Sanya Richards tag a choke

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
    Ok, Is it me alone thinking she is heading in that direction if not already there. If my memory recall is right, she won World junior 400m in 2003. And she also went through NCAA, so why in her pro career, always comes up short at major championship when it count? Always a world beater on the circuit, but can't put it together at World Championships and Olympics. So, my inquiring mind is thinking, she is a female version of Asafa, look so good in the rounds but blew it in finals.

Let see if they both can put it together at World Championships in Berlin. In Asafa case a silver medal (behind Usain Bolt) will be a milestone for him, but in Sanya Richards case anything less that a 400m gold in Berlin is unacceptable.

Interesting to know that both their post race quotes in Beijing mention something about their legs . Legs were perfectly fine in rounds, but not so in the finals of a Major Athletics Championship, especially the Olympics the granddaddy of them all.
    *sigh*

Comment

Re: Should Sanya Richards tag a choke

Originally posted by "guruof track".[/quote

*sigh*
      Why the sigh? This is a reasonable question to ask, base on facts.

But then again...I shouldn't be surprise.

Comment

At this point please allow management to make another polite request to cease and desist with the needless quoting of the people ahead of you. Unless there's something particularly crucial you need to highlight, simply hit the Post Reply button, not Quote.

Many here will thank you.

gh

Comment

*sigh* (again)

Comment

:lol: Intelligent minds only please. A restrict on bandwidth usage is in effect.

Comment

Let me ask this question, do you get the choke tag while you're still an active athlete still competing, or when your career is done?

Sanya is an artist still painting on her canvas, now do you judge the painting while still a work in progress or do you wait until it's completed?
              on the road

Comment

Asafa is known for choking and we don't call him an Artist.
                Afrikan

Comment

Isn't some fans of Athletics and the media....throwing that tag on Asafa? Including myself, after examining his performances on the circuit and comparing it to World Championships and Olympics performances. So, it's logical to say, it can be use during one's career.

Same can be said about Sanya Richards using the same criteria. But, what make it interesting is that the theory on Asafa is that he didn't have much competitive environment, such as Boys and Girls Champs in Jamaica..only took part once and false started in 100m. But, Sanya Won World Junior title before and compete at NCAA's, so why not performing in finals at Major Championships in her pro-career after being the dominating figure in her event.

Comment

yes some do, choke...............artist, not me however, I prefer to call it a temporary setback, stumbling block.

Asafa still working on his canvas as well, let's reserve judgement until it's all said and done. Now we may not like the paintings he or Sanya have worked on so far, but again the work is still in progress.
                    on the road

Comment

Sportfanx you should fact check before you post.......

Comment

Not to make excuses, but she WAS diagnosed with an incurable disease that tends to flare up under stress. I have chalked her rounds 'disappointments' to lack of ability to fully recover. I think she could get the benefit of the doubt in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Not to make excuses, but she WAS diagnosed with an incurable disease that tends to flare up under stress. I have chalked her rounds 'disappointments' to lack of ability to fully recover. I think she could get the benefit of the doubt in this regard.

This is a good post.

Comment

You saying some do choke and have that tag during their careers, but not these two? For these two, I really think it's a mind (psychological) thing than physical, as they want us to believe. And sadly enough, it's looking like until they fix that psychological stuff...they will continue to have those performances they having in major championships.

Comment

We've been through this "choke" nonsense many times before. I get incensed when mediocrities like Sportsfanx1 call a highly accomplished athlete such as Sanya Richards a "choke". Would Sportsfanx1 like to list his life accomplishments?
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X