This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pego
    We've been through this "choke" nonsense many times before. I get incensed when mediocrities like Sportsfanx1 call a highly accomplished athlete such as Sanya Richards a "choke". Would Sportsfanx1 like to list his life accomplishments?
    130 post on Trackandfieldnews.com perhaps????

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Not to make excuses, but she WAS diagnosed with an incurable disease that tends to flare up under stress. I have chalked her rounds 'disappointments' to lack of ability to fully recover. I think she could get the benefit of the doubt in this regard.
      Please enlighten me on this incurable disease that she has. she looked good during the rounds and semi-finals, and she usually don't seems to be pushing hard in Semi-finals etc. and at Beijing Olympics, she didn't have a hard time in her semi-finals and she won with a good margin. So, come final she is magically effect by this disease. I would love to go do a search on that disease that she has, so please post if you know.

Don't underestimate the mind, it's a powerful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
        Not to make excuses, but she WAS diagnosed with an incurable disease that tends to flare up under stress. I have chalked her rounds 'disappointments' to lack of ability to fully recover. I think she could get the benefit of the doubt in this regard.
        Please enlighten me on this incurable disease that she has. she looked good during the rounds and semi-finals, and she usually don't seems to be pushing hard in Semi-finals etc. and at Beijing Olympics, she didn't have a hard time in her semi-finals and she won with a good margin. So, come final she is magically effect by this disease. I would love to go do a search on that disease that she has, so please post if you know.

Don't underestimate the mind, it's a powerful thing.
        Behcets Disease

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beh%C3%A7et's_disease

Her illness is WELL documented, if your a TRUE track and field fan you would have learned of her illness in 2007 when she was diagnosed.

Comment

Do a google on Behcet's Disease and get your facts straight.
          She in fact lost the WJC 2002 400m in Kingston to Monique Henderson and was 3rd in the 200m to Vernicha James and Anneisha McLaughlin. WJCs are in even numbered years WYCs in odd numbered years
          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
            Do a google on Behcet's Disease and get your facts straight.
            She in fact lost the WJC 2002 400m in Kingston
            to Monique Henderson and was 3rd in the 200m to Vernicha James and Anneisha McLaughlin. WJCs are in even numbered years WYCs in odd numbered years
            Hence my previous post of Sportfanx and factchecking. Unreal the amount of misinformation he spews.

Comment

We've been through this "choke" nonsense many times before. I get incensed when mediocrities like Sportsfanx1 call a highly accomplished athlete such as Sanya Richards a "choke". Would Sportsfanx1 like to list his life accomplishments?

See what I'm talking about. Maybe you don't have the mental capacity to intelligently add something of substance to this discussion.

What has Sany Richards accomplish in her pro career? Being a dominate force on the circuit? Some people in the media are asking the same questions about Asafa Powell, and what have he accomplish in his pro careers? He's broken world records numerous of times, gone sub 10 sec, more than anyone except green but did that stop or is stoping fans and media alike putting that label on him? Including me.

This a question any logical thinking person would ask, base on the information available for us to see.

Comment

They both have been chokers so far in my opinion.
                Two of my favourite athletes too
                why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Maybe you don't have the mental capacity to intelligently add something of substance to this discussion.
                  This is laughable. Very similar to billjr telling a two-time Olympian that he had no standing to post around here until he had raced.

New guys - love having you around here but you should get settled in and find out a bit about who the regulars are before you start challenging them with comments such as 'you don't have the mental capacity to intelligently add something of substance to this discussion'. It makes you sound quite unintelligent yourselves.

Comment

Re: Should Sanya Richards tag a choke

+
                    Ok, Is it me alone thinking she is heading in that direction if not already there. If my memory recall is right, she won World junior 400m in 2003.

Ok I think, I make sure I put in a if in this statement. So, quite frankly in plain ENGLISH, for my memory to be correct she had to have won the 400m in 2003. My memory is wrong.

So, please understand the usage of conditional word "If" in the english language before responding.

A sensible respond to me would to say, your memory is wrong.

Also, so I guess with Sanya having this disease on it flaring up during heighten stress, it is safe to say....it will take a miracle for her to win in a Major Championship. So, why the expectations and she almost always having being label the favorite to win????

Comment

Don't know what happen to fonts in that post

Comment

This is actually upsetting me, which rarely happens. Asafa, by his own admission, has a 'problem' in big races. If YOU wish to characterize that as CHOKING, that's your prerogative, though, as Pego points out, perhaps the rest of us would prefer our life's disappointments were not so much a part of the public record, so every Tom, Dick, and Harriett can point out our shortcomings. :evil:

Sanya, on the other hand, has a very REAL disease that does not allow her (or so it was characterized at the time of her diagnosis) to fully recover after hard efforts (say, a Championship heat and semi). That's not choking; that's doing her best under difficult circumstances. A little consideration and compassion is in order.

Comment

Disease in mind she doesn't perform well individual in the WC or the Olympics. Hopefully that changes this year. God forbid she has trouble at the US Championships.
                          Afrikan

Comment

We've been through this "choke" nonsense many times before. I get incensed when mediocrities like Sportsfanx1

What has Sany Richards accomplish in her pro career? Being a dominate force on the circuit? Some people in the media are asking the same questions about Asafa Powell, and what have he accomplish in his pro careers? He's broken world records numerous of times, gone sub 10 sec, more than anyone except green but did that stop or is stoping fans and media alike putting that label on him? Including me.

This a question any logical thinking person would ask, base on the information available for us to see.
                            All right, before we get to the subject at hand, let's evaluate the mental capacity. It is primarily expressed in language. I have highlighted all basic errors in the post above. There is 7 (seven) of them in a brief paragraph. Watch your own abilities, before you start questioning mental capacity of others.
                            BTW, I assume, English is your primary language. It's my fifth. Want to continue?
                            You are minute. If you want to edit everything little word, I didn't add past tense, or add a s to career, etc. you are wasting your time. Even doctors misused grammer/spelling etc, does that make them less competent? One thing is for sure, the point was driven across, and that is main objective.

Also, must add even the best writers have EDITORS to his or her book.

Feel free to take that job on this board, as my editor.

Comment

I think there maybe something to this, but I don't think Sanya belongs in the same boat as Asafa. Sanya does at least manage to medal and her performances can be described as overzealous rather than outright underperforming the way Asafa does.

In my opinion she tries to run the 400 like a time trial and after 2-3 previous rounds that may not be the best method for her. I understand hitting certain times during a race, but she seems to overestimate her ability after running rounds and it has cost her every time going back to the NCAA championship. But she is no where near the head case Asafa is, he out-right underperforms.

Comment

Sanya, on the other hand, has a very REAL disease that does not allow her (or so it was characterized at the time of her diagnosis) to fully recover after hard efforts (say, a Championship heat and semi). That's not choking; that's doing her best under difficult circumstances. A little consideration and compassion is in order.
                                I said this in another thread yesterday...

I love Sanya, but how do you explain how she underperformed in the 2005 Worlds and 2002 World Juniors before she even HAD the disease and, arguably, I admit, the 2004 Olympics...

If it is the "disease" which causes her problems running rounds, how come she's rebounded well enough to run quite fantastic relay legs at the end of very difficult and hard weeks in which she had earlier underperformed in her individual events at the past two major championships?

Comment

Working...
                                X