• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
    Originally posted by Pego
    We've been through this "choke" nonsense many times before. I get incensed when mediocrities like Sportsfanx1

What has Sany Richards accomplish in her pro career? Being a dominate force on the circuit? Some people in the media are asking the same questions about Asafa Powell, and what have he accomplish in his pro careers? He's broken world records numerous of times, gone sub 10 sec, more than anyone except green but did that stop or is stoping fans and media alike putting that label on him? Including me.

This a question any logical thinking person would ask, base on the information available for us to see.
    All right, before we get to the subject at hand, let's evaluate the mental capacity. It is primarily expressed in language. I have highlighted all basic errors in the post above. There is 7 (seven) of them in a brief paragraph. Watch your own abilities, before you start questioning mental capacity of others.
    BTW, I assume, English is your primary language. It's my fifth. Want to continue?
    You are minute. If you want to edit everything little word, I didn't add past tense, or add a s to career, etc. you are wasting your time. Even doctors misused grammer/spelling etc, does that make them less competent? One thing is for sure, the point was driven across, and that is main objective.

Also, must add even the best writers have EDITORS to his or her book.

Feel free to take that job on this board, as my editor.
    Very well. I suppose, you can question my mental capacity, without me being able to question yours, so let's talk about the issue at hand.
    Many athletes have been labeled as chokers. Ron Clarke held many WR's, never won "the big one", so what else, he is a choke. Suzy Favor-Hamilton, a consensus Wisconsin female athlete of the Century, winner of so many NCAA titles that with my limited mental capacity, I can't even count that high, never won "the big one", so she is a choke. Tell that to all those great runners, she vanquished. Christian Cantwell! He blew a few "big ones". You guessed it, a choke.

We now get to Sanya Richards, a lovely young lady, with impeccable credentials on and off the field. Never mind a stratospheric sub-49, #1's in the world, Olympic bronze medal, a few fantastic relay legs. She never won "the big one", so she is a choke. I am not even going to go to her health history, that has been covered.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Very well. I suppose, you can question my mental capacity, without me being able to question yours, so let's talk about the issue at hand.
      Many athletes have been labeled as chokers. Ron Clarke held many WR's, never won "the big one", so what else, he is a choke. Suzy Favor-Hamilton, a consensus Wisconsin female athlete of the Century, winner of so many NCAA titles that with my limited mental capacity, I can't even count that high, never won "the big one", so she is a choke. Tell that to all those great runners, she vanquished. Christian Cantwell! He blew a few "big ones". You guessed it, a choke.

We now get to Sanya Richards, a lovely young lady, with impeccable credentials on and off the field. Never mind a stratospheric sub-49, #1's in the world, Olympic bronze medal, a few fantastic relay legs. She never won "the big one", so she is a choke. I am not even going to go to her health history, that has been covered.
      Seems like the tag is a plus.

Comment

The word choke is a mean little label to dismiss athletes who are giving their all but havent found that Gold....YET.
        phsstt!

Comment

Could also be used to try and get attention. Or divert others from productive discussion. Certainly it is a throw away label that adds little of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            Could also be used to try and get attention. Or divert others from productive discussion. Certainly it is a throw away label that adds little of interest.
            Daisy, you're so droll!

Comment

I was drivelled to droll.

Comment

I have no problem with honest critism of an athlete, but this has gotten ridiculous.

I will admit that Sanya has some disappointmets prior to the disease (mainly because of her race strategy), but she seemed to remedy those problems to the best of her ability, given what the disease does to you.

Comment

Wow. All these hits on her, given that I'm a fan of Shericka Williams and a few others, I will certainly be rooting for Sanya to win big in Eugene, IAAF tour and Berlin. And if not, given what she is burdened with, to load into the blocks on those days is a blessing in itself.

I prefer the tag of winner from sunrise to sundown.

Comment

Re: Should Sanya Richards tag a choke

Ok, Is it me alone thinking she is heading in that direction if not already there. ..., but in Sanya Richards case anything less that a 400m gold in Berlin is unacceptable.
                    Was Kipketer (Wilson, SC) a head case during those times when his malaria was acting up?

When you are qualified to discuss this topic in this manner do so. In order to be qualified you need to know enough in general about an unusual medical condition that SR has and you need to know specifically what her condition is and how it interacts with high-level training and racing.

IMO, you clearly fail to qualify on either of the two elements and if I were the 'mod' I would restrict you from posting anything on SR. It brings nothing positive to the board.

Comment

Ok, I visited ABDA website. From my understanding, this is autoimmune disease. Overall, unless she had a outbreak at the time during World Championship or Olympics etc, this has no effect on her. I haven't read anything where she stated she had outbreaks at those World Championships or Olympics. During outbreaks (usually symptoms can last seven to fourteen days), rest is recommended etc. So, say she has a outbreak (especially in Finals) at the Championships/Olympics, that would've been a magically recovery, to run round 4x400m and finals looking in superb form.

Also, saying she has this and has that, but no individual Gold to show for her dominant performances in the W 400m, protect her from having that Choke tag applied. So, using that same criteria, anyone's assumption of Asafa Powell being a choke, should not even been thought of or said in the first place. Right?

Comment

A late entry here. I hate this whole "choking" thing and think the original question is foolish. To paraphrase some posts on another subject from long ago, accusations of "chokeatude" (how bout that?!) merely indicate that the athlete in question hasn't performed exactly the way "you" would like them to. And the correct response to that is: so what? They're all human, they all have good days and not-so-good days, etc.

If I remember, a certain Mr. Ramzi was once celebrated as a "big-meet guy," a non-choker, if you will...but no one (now) respects him for it.

At the end of the day, it really is NOT merely about winning every race...

Comment

Ok, I visited ABDA website. From my understanding, this is autoimmune disease. Overall, unless she had a outbreak at the time during World Championship or Olympics etc, this has no effect on her.

Bzzzz wrong, better reading comprehension required. It affects training and training affects endurance and endurance is important for being able to perform consistently through rounds. Go read comments from SR about it affecting training, made not in the context of dismissing a performance failure.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                            Ok, I visited ABDA website. From my understanding, this is autoimmune disease. Overall, unless she had a outbreak at the time during World Championship or Olympics etc, this has no effect on her.

Bzzzz wrong, better reading comprehension required. It affects training and training affects endurance and endurance is important for being able to perform consistently through rounds. Go read comments from SR about it affecting training, made not in the context of dismissing a performance failure.

Why don't it effect her in the round of 4x400m and the finals? With that thinking, there should be no expectations or favoritism being place on her then in the W 400m final. Since, some are applying that her disease makes it hard/impossible for her to win in final of a major championships/Olympics individual 400m race. So, with that in mind, we shouldn't make much of her chances at major championships and doing so, would be like pulling a rabbit out of a hat and too far fetch, because of the effect of her health problem has on her during those races.

Comment

I posted this couple days ago...........but I'll say it one more time

Never wrestle with pigs, bcause you both get dirty................and the pig enjoys it!

Comment

Or you could catch the H1N1 flu, or you might have to be a saint to avoid violating rule number 15, although I guess logic and content were not mentioned in that rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X